Top Tips for Fun on NCL Dream

lizbeth

:D Hi NCL Dream cruisers -

My hubby & I just returned from the NCL Dream cruise out of Houston, and I want to pass on some tips that will help you to have an extra-special time when you are on board this ship. This is not a review, but rather a list of things (in no particular order) that will help you make your Dream cruise successful!

1. There is only 1 formal night on this ship, not 2, and that 1 night is optional. We saw cruisers in cocktail dresses, tuxedos, sport coats and casual slacks and sandals. However, no shorts in the dining rooms.

2. Best breakfast idea: Breakfast service in the formal dining room can be a little slow sometimes, and the breakfast buffet in the Deck 12 sports bar can be a little crowded. Instead, get your omelet or waffle custom made at the deck 9 outdoor pool (they are set up there every day!), and then walk in the door next to the waffle lady with your plate and turn left into the Trattoria restaurant. You can get your silverware, napkin, juice, coffee, rolls and fruit in the Trattoria buffet (never a line), and you'll have an oceanview seat inside the ship with no crowds! Heavenly!

3. All deck 9 areas are non-smoking (inside & out). All other areas of the ship allow smoking.

4. Le Bistro, the only additional charge restaurant, offers 1/2 price dining every night for 5:30 and 6 p.m. reservations. Dine later and you pay the full $15 per person. Their delicious menu does not change nightly... it stays the same throughout the cruise.

5. Trattoria (Italian menu) does not charge a fee, their menu stays the same all 7 nights, but you usually need a reservation. If you're not sure which night to reserve at La Trattoria, we went on Belize night when I was not that interested in the main dining room selection.

6. Things to bring with you! Ladies: they only provide shampoo, so bring your own hair conditioner in a travel size. Also, their hair dryer is poor. Definitely bring you own. And, I would have preferred bar soap... they only provide liquid soap, so you may want to bring your own bar of soap.

7. Do not flush hair, kleenex, cigarettes or anything else down the toilets. It will clog up to 50 toilets and it is very unpleasant when this happens. It happened twice on our cruise.

8. The whole can of cola is $1.75. A glass of cola is $1.25. Um, it's cheaper to buy the can and get a free glass of ice with it.

9. Smile at your waiters and room stewards and call them by name. So few passengers do this, and you will receive great service in return.

10. On deck 8, walk all the way aft (back) inside the ship and go out to find a quiet overhang shaded area to sit... very peaceful.

Other tips: Wash your hands AND use the sanitizers. Control your kids so they don't annoy other passengers. Participate in ship events, since it's a great way to meet others (single parties, trivia contests, arts & crafts). Don't ever throw cigarettes overboard (the wind can cause them to land on someones towel or balcony)! And, smile at strangers! You'll have a fantabulous time!

Bon Yoyage and smooth sailing!

Liz:)

Thanks for the suggestions! Great things to know when we sail in about 5 weeks.

A few questions:

Did you participate in any offshore excursions? If so which ones and what did you think?

Second, where was your favorite place in the shade on deck to just watch the ocean slide by?

Hi -

My favorite place outside, yet in the shade, was deck 8 aft. Decks 111 and 12 were crowded with people and kids, and I prefer quiet time for reading and watching the ocean.

Excursions: My husband went to ChichenItza (spelling??) in Progresso on the ship sponsored tour. It's a 2 hour bus trip each way, and then you have 2+ hours at the Mayan site to roam and take photos. He loved it. I did not go because I don't like bus rides.

Hope this is useful to you.

Liz

Great review. We will be on the Dream in 2008 for the S. Am. cruise. We can't wait and love to read about others experiences and hints to make the trip the best it can be. You covered a lot of great ideas for any cruise.

I'd add one thing we learned on the Jewel. Anytime you eat in a self serve area do use the gel or wipes to clean your hands prior to eating. Many people were sick on our cruise and I believe that's where the germs were spread the fastest! Be healthy!

Anyone ever use the cruiseline transportation to/from the airport. We arrive at IAH (Bush) at 10:00 AM. We signed up for the transport and I'm just wondering how long it will take to get to the pier from there. I would like to be there in time for lunch and a little look around time prior to life boat drill. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The problem with cruise line transport is you have to wait until the bus is full, so no telling how long it will take you to get to the port. I usually find with 2 or more passengers, it is cheaper and much faster to take a taxi. From IAH to the port, taxi fare is appro. $79. How does that compare to what you paid for the transportation?

Price for transportation through expedia.com was 50$ each way for the two of us. AA has now changed my return flight from Bush to Hobby. I hope I can get transport change to Hobby, if not I guess I'll just have to take a cab and the loss. Oh Well, not going to let it ruin my vacation. :)

Thanks for the rapid response. Will there be any question about getting to the right port? I know that sounds silly, but i've read about complications, maybe Galveston vs. Houston. Thanks again.

You could avoid the complications if you stated to the taxi driver to take you to the Houston cruise port at Barbours Cut near La Porte. Throw in Morgan's Point too if they are still confused.

I hope you get a response...I'd also like to know if there are any dry cleaning specials? How many per week? We pack light and rely on the cleaners quite a bit!

I'm sailing tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a look about dry cleaning and let you know.

Lori

talori--Thank you I will look forward to your return!! Please let us know what you think of the ship when you return!! Enjoy your trip!!

Dragonfly--on another one that I posted someone said they were pretty sure they had it, but no one seems to know for sure. We will have to look forward to talori getting back!!

Happy Sailing!!

Cyndi

• 2 weeks later...

If you are sailing from Houston, TX -- and you are flying into Houston Hobby -- beware of this cab driver trick. If you ask a cab driver to take you to the pier, they might drive you to Galveston! Be very alert -- you want to go to the pier in Houston, not Galveston.

If you have any doubt about where they are taking you, get out of the taxi before they start driving away. Choose a driver who clearly understands where you are headed. Otherwise, you could be stuck in Galveston with a $100. taxi ride charge.

Hint: take directions from your cruise brochure, or MapQuest the Houston pier. Better to be prepared!

Liz

Archived