The Carnival agent said no passports to Mexico

Suburban Drudgery

The current situation which is always subject to change is that you only must have a passport if you are traveling BY AIR into or out of the country. For Carnival this only effects San Juan and Alaska sailings (because of Vancouver). The caveat to this is that if you have to fly home for an emergency and leave from a foreign port you are stuck, or extremely inconvenienced.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

till 2007 mid summer. Is this true? Do I need to get them just in case?

Anyone know about this passport rule to Mexico?:confused:

As far as I know, no midsummer date has been announced for cruise ships in 2007. Beginning on Jan.23,2007 you will need a passport for land crossing or air travel. I don't think this will apply to Mexican nationals as they seem to flood into town daily without any documents at all. I guess you should be ok with just your BC and DL. If you need to return early, don't use the regular border crossings. They will ask for a passport. Use the hole in the fence, just follow the line.

As far as I know, no midsummer date has been announced for cruise ships in 2007. Beginning on Jan.23,2007 you will need a passport for land crossing or air travel. I don't think this will apply to Mexican nationals as they seem to flood into town daily without any documents at all. I guess you should be ok with just your BC and DL. If you need to return early, don't use the regular border crossings. They will ask for a passport. Use the hole in the fence, just follow the line.

Excellent analysis! ;)

As some have mentioned, if you are a US citizen, you do not need a passport to enter Mexico. Here's the caveat, if for some reason you are left behind on your last port of call or have an emergency and have to fly back to the US then you do have a problem. The airlines will not let you board a plane that is US bound without a passport. The reason behind this is that if you are denied entry into the US, the airline has to fly you back at their expense. As the old saying goes, you never know if you are going to need one until you actually need one. Good luck!

But if I use that for info I can't look at the immigrations agent and say "But my CC friends said I didn't neeeeeeed a passport...":confused:

LMAO Gramps...this is SO true. That would be a priceless moment for sure ;):D

This morning, I received the following email....I would get a passport just in case. At least then you will also be prepared for all of your upcoming and future trips.

As of January 23, 2007, all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air to Canada, Central and South America, Mexico, and the Caribbean will be required to present a valid passport to re-enter the country. A valid driver's license will no longer suffice for re-entry documentation.

The current situation which is always subject to change is that you only must have a passport if you are traveling BY AIR into or out of the country. For Carnival this only effects San Juan and Alaska

As Puerto Rico is part of the United States, no passport is required to fly from the 50 states to San Juan. The same hold true for flying into St. Thomas.

Having a passport is the easiest way to travel. We are taking my stepdaughters friend with us on the 16th and you would not believe all of the papers that we have to bring with. I am thankful that we had gotten Our stepdaughters last year. I do ot fly even in our states without taking the passport. It beats taking the license in & out..

Having a passport is the easiest way to travel. We are taking my stepdaughters friend with us on the 16th and you would not believe all of the papers that we have to bring with. I am thankful that we had gotten Our stepdaughters last year. I do ot fly even in our states without taking the passport. It beats taking the license in & out..

When I fly domestic I still bring my passport. I keep it in the hotel. I worry about my wallet being lost or stolen and not being able to board my flight back home. I like having the passport as insurance.

My daughter & I got our passports in 2004 when we thought Dec.31,2004 would be the deadline. Since then I think they've changed the deadline twice. I personally think that applying now would save alot of hassel/waiting for you later on. Especially people with large families. You can apply for a couple of people at a time & have it all out of the way before your cruise. JMHO here...

This topic relates to the great, ongoing debate about whether to take your passport with you when you go ashore in a foreign country.

It is true that in many foreign ports, particularly in Mexico and the Caribbean, that cruise ship passengers who are staying less than 24 hours don't need a passport.

However, my feeling is that there is the potential for needing one in a foreign country. You might miss the ship for any number of reason; some your won fault (staying too long at Margueritaville); some not your fault (illness or injury). If that happens, having the passport locked in your cabin safe does no good at all.

OTOH, some people worry about having the passport lost or stolen. This, of course, can happen. In that case, you would have trouble re-entering the US. I would prefer to discuss that situation with a US Immigration agent, on US soil, rather than with a foreign agent, in a foreign country, or trying to board a US-bound airplane without proper documentation.

My plan for our cruise next April is this: during the interim period, a birth certificate will suffice for entry by sea into the US. So, I'm going to take our passports AND our birth certificates with us. The passport will go ashore, while the B.C. stays locked in the cabin safe. That way, if I miss the ship, I'm still covered, because I will have my pp with me. If I lose the pp, I'm still covered, because I can use the BC to return to the states.

The only way my plan won't work is if I lose my passport AND miss the ship in a foreign port.

I will probably also carry a photocopy of my passport. While a photocopy has no legal standing, it might help the US embassy or consulate get me a replacement passport.

Paul Noble

I leave my passport in the cabin safe. I keep a photo copy of the picture page of the passport with me when I go ashore. If I were to miss the ship, having this copy will help me identify myself and obtain temporary documents for my return home from the US Consulate in the country where I am stranded.

I don't like bringing my passport ashore in a port where I plan to swim or enjoy the water/beach. Water is death to a passport. Even if US immigration will accept the damaged document, many foriegn countries like Australia won't issue a visa with it. Replacing a damaged passport is a hassle and a cost. On a shopping trip i would be ok with taking it, but I don't feel the need. DL and photo copy are all I feel I need to cover my bases.

I'd be interested also in hearing from others on what they prefer.

Archived