QM2 Bridge wings

trams

Ken and Kyle,

Thank you. What a moving passage, and more, a moving tribute, that the crew gave her history by not unfurling the Rising Sun. How respectful these men were of her history. (and how disrespectful were the film makers)

I now understand fully.

That passage brought tears to my eyes.

Karie,

who feels that she has just touched a piece of history-with awe and reverence.

Ken and Kyle,

I now understand fully.

That passage brought tears to my eyes.

Karie,

who feels that she has just touched a piece of history-with awe and reverence.

Karie,

Hope you can now see that by 'ill' I meant 'Ile'.

Originally the film makers wanted to you the name OUMPUS, OILMPIC or something similar but the Greek Line object as their then flagship was named OLYMPIA.

If you want to delve further into the history of this great ship you should look for "ILE DE FRANCE" A Biography by Don Stafford. Published by Cassell, London. 1960

Excellent book. Your local library might have a copy. I have two! Picked one up years ago and then more recently in a small second-hand bookshop here in Sydney I found another copy... in mint condition, still with the dustjacket. A good buy for $10. :)

Stephen

For Karie:

The morning of Thursday, February 26th, 1959, was cold and rainy

in Le Havre,

ILE DE FRANCE a Biography by Don Stanford

Ken,

Apologies for my extra post to Karie. Thanks for typing out that piece from Chapter 1 for her. She will probably head straight for the bookstore to find a copy!

Stephen

Karie,

Hope you can now see that by 'ill' I meant 'Ile'.

Excellent book. Your local library might have a copy

Stephen

<LOL>

Stephen! Thanks. No, as a matter of fact, I just assumed it was ILL from standing out in the rain! Silly me!

Right now I am vacillating - no not vacaillting which indicates indecision BEFORE a choice is made- more like BOUNCING (mores the frenzied hyperactivity!) between "The Only Way to Cross", The Commodore's book on the QE2, the book on the QM2, and a book on the Titanic, which I have had for years, but never got around to reading! Oh, and I also have a book on the history of the Keys (True Stories of Perilous Straits) with a marvelous frontispiece of sailing ships storm-tossed at sea- Oh, There is also an autobiography of a writer I sort of know, created by quoting various books and articles and columns he has written over the years. The gent is an excellent writer and wordsmith on this side of the pond. He sends me all of his books as they are published (in gratitude for work I have done for him over the years) He has also been a lecturer on ships. Last year I had to rush a replacement cell phone to him at his condo in Manhattan as he was going on one of the Seven Seas ships as a lecturer, as he had managed to lose his wife's cell phone (instead of, as usual, his own!) And I probably have about ten more I haven't gotten round to reading. (not to mention the STACKS of newspapers I've partially read but didn't finish, but mean to... You see, I am a book-lover with no time to read these days (and Cruise Critic, being so fascinating and filled with marvelously fleshed out characters, does not help! <LOL>)

Karie,

who wishes she could write a book of all of y'all!

[quote name=travel-to-goRight now I am vacillating - no not vacaillting which indicates indecision BEFORE a choice is made- more like BOUNCING (mores the frenzied hyperactivity!) between "The Only Way to Cross"' date=' The Commodore's book on the QE2, the book on the QM2, and a book on the Titanic, which I have had for years, but never got around to reading!

Karie,

who wishes she could write a book of all of y'all![/quote]

Why not keep the book on the Titanic for your next cruise?

Why not keep the book on the Titanic for your next cruise?

Ah KC, You are twisted! I like that in a man! <G>

It's actually a non0fiction, which purports to give some information which is not as widely known or accepted as some more well-known versions of the story, and includes information from the inquiries.

Karie,

who was interested before, but got more so, since seeing the dumb movie for the first time recently (yes that would be the Leonard DiCaprio and Kate Winslet version.) I even have a Travel channel documentary on it.

It's actually a non0fiction, which purports to give some information which is not as widely known or accepted as some more well-known versions of the story, and includes information from the inquiries.

Karie,

who was interested before, but got more so, since seeing the dumb movie for the first time recently (yes that would be the Leonard DiCaprio and Kate Winslet version.) I even have a Travel channel documentary on it.

You want to see A Night to Remember rather than the new version. Effects not as good, but otherwise better in every respect!

What is the book, if I may be nosy enough to ask?

Stephen,

Where? I'm in Sydney for a week......

Peter

Hi Peter,

Bronte Road.... between Randwick and Bondi Junction.

You are coming down on 'Scary Mary' or 'Big Black Pig' (QE2) ?

Hopefully we will get to see you. Please e-mail your itinerary...

prinsendam@hotmail.com

We plan to be out on the harbour the morning the Mary arrrived and then again that evening for the fireworks and QE2 arrival. Good photo opportunity!

Best source for nautical books down here is by catalogue... from abook seller up north by the name of Boglio. Every few months he puts out an incredibale list. Mouth watering!!!!

FYI... Bill Miller lecturing on the Mary... LA to Sydney.

We are not doing either of the Cunarders for the 07 Work Cruise. Instead will be joining SAGA ROSE... Sydney to Barcelona then the plan is to get up to Southaampton in time to join QE2 for her 21 say 'circle Atlantic' voyage.

Best,

Stephen

Kyle...thanks for posting that moving passage. Just "feeling" the moment brings tears to my eyes. The loss of the old liners always makes me sad, despite the fact that my practical mind knows that nothing lasts forever but the romantic in me wants to keep them all.

Cheers, Penny

You want to see A Night to Remember rather than the new version. Effects not as good, but otherwise better in every respect!

Other Titanic movies to consider are:

Titanic (1943 Germany) - completely barking plot - its all a capitalist conspiracy to manipulate the market by having Titanic capture the Blue Ribband - the 'good German' officer tries to stop this.....notably, even in the middle of a world war, not even the ****s suggested that the British had locked Third Class below decks - something Cameron does. Harrowing panic scenes shot on Cap Arcona, which would also meet a harrowing end crammed with refugees.

Titanic (1952) Barbara Stanwyck & Clifton web marital bust up as Stan returns home to middle America.....pretty iffy model work.....but the yanks die bravely, and Third Class is full of funny foreigners.....

Peter (in) Sydney

Titanic (1952) Barbara Stanwyck & Clifton web marital bust up as Stan returns home to middle America.....pretty iffy model work.....but the yanks die bravely, and Third Class is full of funny foreigners.....

Peter (in) Sydney

Peter,

Ah! You are here NOW! Please call if you get a spare moment ....

9398 7349

All this TITANIC business... I'm actually going to the musical TITANIC on Wednesday night... against my better judgement!!!

Stephen

KC,

Not being nosy at all, since i did bring it up!

I don't have it with me right now (Working nights this week) but i believe it is "Unsinkable" by Daniel Allen Butler (I googled Titanic Books and found a web page called titanicbooksite.com. Who knew there were so many! Thank goodness his name began with a "B"! I might have looked all night! Mine is the one with the life ring on the front cover. )

http://www.titanicbooksite.com/butler_daniel_allen.html

I haven't gotten that far yet. As I said,I am reading numerous books right now, bouncing back and forth. I brought with me tonight Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" and "The Florida Keys Volume 2 True Stories of the Perillous Straits" by John Viele.

Well, I also brought the Irwin Handbook of Telecommunications, 4th edition from McGraw Hill. It is a huge tome, but very useful in my line of work.

I figure I will stay busy to keep from fallng asleep!

Karie,

who thinks there oughta be a law against throwing in a week of swing shift!

"Unsinkable" by Daniel Allen Butler

quote]

Hi Karie,

Since you don't have much to read, I thought you might be interested in this discussion on Butler's "Unsinkable" over at Encyclopedia-Titanica.org

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5671/432.html?1125599985

The discussion starts with the archived messages at the top of the page.

"Unsinkable" by Daniel Allen Butler

quote]

Hi Karie,

Since you don't have much to read, I thought you might be interested in this discussion on Butler's "Unsinkable" over at Encyclopedia-Titanica.org

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5671/432.html?1125599985

The discussion starts with the archived messages at the top of the page.

Wow!

Almost worse than us! <LOL>

I guess everyone has an opinion!

As I said, I haven't read too far, just enough to know he quotes from the legal proceedings. (and I take those with a grain of salt- Legal proceedings are always colored by the prevailing culture of the time)

I take most books like this with a grain of salt. I realize there is a tendency to romanticize or make things bigger than life. People moralize, or anthropomorphize (well, not really the right term, but in that vein- trying to bring it home for people)

I was fortunate enough on our January Panama trip to be invited to dinner at the Captain's table. As you know, Commodore Warwick is a huge Titanic buff. of course, a discussion ensued, with him jumping right in to ask me was I interested, and proferring some insights and opinions. Obviously this is a matter of strong interest for him, and his enthusiasm for the subject cannot help but entice one to further inquiry. He was kind enough to send an article from the British Titanic Society's journal up to our cabin. It was a highly critical article about Robert Ballard (an open letter to him, really) Since Robert Ballard works very near to my home, it piqued my interest. I knew a little about the Titanic, beyond the general knowledge which everyone has, due to a friend's book, which included a chapter about it. Her Aunt and Uncle were on the ship. (This friend has since passed. She was not young when I knew her, which was back in the mid 70's)

So it really has stirred my interest. As I said, I had Butler's book for a number of years, but never got around to reading it. (Are you noting a pattern with me here?<G>) So with the renewed interest, I grabbed it from my bookcase and started in on it last week.

I could probably read more, if I didn't spend half my waking hours on these boards! <LOL>

Karie,

who is still awake, at 1 AM!

due to a friend's book, which included a chapter about it. Her Aunt and Uncle were on the ship. (This friend has since passed. She was not young when I knew her, which was back in the mid 70's)

quote]

Ellen Williamson, by any chance?

Yes, It was Ellen.

You know of her?

What a truly delightful woman. Her husband Greg was nice, too. But Ellen was a dynamo.

Ellen personified class, to me.

At the time that I met her, I was dating her nephew, Bruce. I still remember being taken out for Christmas dinner at the Hartford Hilton (later imploded and turned into a parking lot) Bruce's best friend Steve and his date were also with us. Ellen and Greg and Steve and his date came up to Hartford from Manhattan by limo. The chauffer picked Bruce and I up. When we got to the Hilton, he unloaded shopping bags full of presents from the trunk of the limo. I never expected it, but Ellen had even brought a gift for me.

I also remember that as being the first time I ever had Roast Duckling a L'orange.

Ellen and I corresponded even after Bruce and I stopped dating. She was such a marvelous lady.

Karie

Archived