Houston TX hotel with transfers?

troyphoto

Hi Gang,

We'll be leaving on the Dream from Texas in January, and are just begining our search for a one night hotel in Houton.

We'll be flying into Houston Intl late Friday night, so we need a clean facility with comfy beds AND if possible a reasonably priced shuttle down to the port.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or should we try to get a room near the airport and pay for the NCL shuttle?

From my limited experience (sailing twice on the Sea), I don't know of a Houston hotel that offers transfers to the pier. It's about a 30-45 minute drive from IAH to the pier, and I haven't ever read of anyone who's been able to find a hotel with a free shuttle.

We had good luck staying at the Amerisuites near IAH, but I know they're changed ownership since then and don't know what they're currently like. They do offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The first time we were with a large group and rented a bus for our group to get to the pier. The second time we rented a car from Enterprise. We picked it up at the airport and dropped it off at the pier the next day. You might consider that option if it's still being offered.

I don't think NCL will let you reserve a transfer if you're not flying in the day of sailing, but I know I read about people taking the free shuttle back to the airport and then catching the NCL transfer.

Good luck with your planning.

If you reserve a shuttle, they will want to know what flight you areb arriving on. If you come in the day before, just find a flight that arrives the next day and give them the number. They will be happy that they have your flight number and won't know the difference that you came in the day before.:)

troyphoto, it might help you to know the "Houston Cruise" terminal is not located in Houston but in LaPorte, Texas which is located on the NW side of upper Galveston bay. LaPorte is a good hours drive from IAH and you may want to search for a hotel there.

I have heard good reviews about Comfort Suites, but I am not sure if they are located in LaPorte. LaPorte is a small town were Friday night football is the main attraction, very few quality restaurants, and no night life or activities. There is a LaQuinta located in LaPorte at Fairmont and 146, they would be about two miles from the terminal.

The terminal itself is located in a very industrial part of the town and the road leading in leaves much to be desired.

Hi Ute_Fan,

Was there an Enterprise location at the pier? I can't seem to find one at the pier that's open on Saturdays. The reservation agent indicated that an Enterprise employee comes to the pier and "collects" the car and keys. Was this your experience?

Admittedly, my experience was 1 1/2 years ago, so things may have changed. At that time, however, we made reservations through the Seabrooke office -- which is maybe 15 minutes away from the port. We picked the van up at the airport, kept it overnight, drove to the pier, and left the van in the long-term parking lot. They had a separate area that was coned off for Enterprise cars. They marked that the car was returned on Saturday at noon, even though they didn't necessarily remove it from the lot until Monday.

There was a slight additional charge for leaving it there, rather than going to the Seabrooke office and having them shuttle you back, but with 4 of us and a mountain of luggage it was worth it. I think our cost for the rental van was around $90 -- not a lot cheaper than the NCL shuttle, but it did give us more flexibility. I know cars were quite a bit cheaper, but we

had too much stuff for a car.

On our return trip, they had a little kiosk set up in front of the terminal where you could arrange for a rental vehicle. We also had a reservation for the return trip and it worked great. This is when we really needed to have our own vehicle as we went to the space center and the Keemah boardwalk as we had a late flight.

Try calling the Seabrook office and see if they're still offering this service. We found it easier to call them directly than try to go through the national reservation center.

Archived