Someone please cheer me up

heyitsmejudy

And for God's sake, don't yell at me for posting here rather than somewhere else. I'm booked on Carnival.

I've planned since February for a family vacation to Freeport and Nassau over Christmas. I'm now finding that not only will there be little if anything open in Freeport on Christmas, but not Ardastra Gardens, hell, not even the straw market will be open on the 26th in Nassau. I'm terribly upset and even tempted to cancel and see if we can postpone the trip.

Does anyone know of anything that WILL be open that can even attempt to salvage this trip?

Yes, this is a problem for a short cruise. In the UK and it's Commonwealth offspring like the Bahamas, Jamaica and the BVI, a two day holiday is celebrated. December 26th is Boxing Day, everything will be closed unfortunately.

Whether you decide to go or cancel I sincerly hope you have a very merry holiday with your family and friends.

Well, losing alot of money by cancelling isn't gonna make you feel any better. I think you should go on your cruise & enjoy everything a cruise has to offer. Who knows what sort of surprises await you at the different ports. There may some not-quite-so-popular-off-the-beaten-path shops open.

Just think...while you are out there sunbathing, we are all here freezing!! GO on your cruise & relax.

If you are a beach/water person definatly check out some of the resorts in Nassau and Freeport. Some offer a day pass for $15 and then there are places like Breezes for around $50 that gives you unlimited drink, food, watersports, etc. I would think that most of the resorts would be open since this will be a major traveling time for people. What about the ships excursions? Check out roll call boards for the week of Christmas ... not just on your particular sailing but on some of the other sailings that will also be visiting the same ports. Yyou may be able to find out what activities other passengers are planning to give you some ideals.

Check out roll call boards for the week of Christmas ... not just on your particular sailing but on some of the other sailings that will also be visiting the same ports. Yyou may be able to find out what activities other passengers are planning to give you some ideals.

Great idea! Thanks. I'll do that. I know we can snorkel with Stuart Cove's but, naturally, three of the six won't do that so I have to come up with something that everyone will want to participate in. This is my parents' 40th wedding anniversary gift... they were married on Christmas Day. Apparently, they found a church that was open that day!

Great idea! Thanks. I'll do that. I know we can snorkel with Stuart Cove's but, naturally, three of the six won't do that so I have to come up with something that everyone will want to participate in. This is my parents' 40th wedding anniversary gift... they were married on Christmas Day. Apparently, they found a church that was open that day!

I do believe all churches are open Christmas Day

you might want to look online and see what time the Masses are heald I know the churches around here all have websites now or at least list thier Masses

Dude, I'm kidding! But thanks, just the same! Although my parents are both ordained ministers, I was thinking of something more along the lines of parasailing, snorkeling, shopping, etc., and am disappointed that most everything is closed.

Dude, I'm kidding! But thanks, just the same! Although my parents are both ordained ministers, I was thinking of something more along the lines of parasailing, snorkeling, shopping, etc., and am disappointed that most everything is closed.

I am not a dude but a dudette, I was also kidding but then i thought you took me seriously . I find it hard to believe such a touristy place wouldnt be open for the time when the ships are in port. You cant go wrong booking through Carnival for an excursion they will gladly stay open and take your money.

Make it your cruise mission to be the "ONE" that goes before and then let everyone know what there is to do, not to do on a short holiday cruise over Christmas. I'm sure that there will be lots of things to do on board the ship plus look how much $$ you will be saving by not being able to shop while in port! LOL! I know my DH would love for the shops to be closed especially the jewelry stores!

Go have a great time look on the bright side instead of the dark! Live in the moment and enjoy what life on a cruise has to offer! Now put a smile on your face and GO PACK FOR HEAVENS SAKES YOUR CRUISE IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!!

I am not a dude but a dudette, I was also kidding but then i thought you took me seriously . I find it hard to believe such a touristy place wouldnt be open for the time when the ships are in port. You cant go wrong booking through Carnival for an excursion they will gladly stay open and take your money.

Dudette....

Oddly enough, the Carnival Web site offers, for instance, Ardastra Gardens, as an excursion for that day but I called Ardastra and they're closed.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
And for God's sake, don't yell at me for posting here rather than somewhere else. I'm booked on Carnival.

I've planned since February for a family vacation to Freeport and Nassau over Christmas. I'm now finding that not only will there be little if anything open in Freeport on Christmas, but not Ardastra Gardens, hell, not even the straw market will be open on the 26th in Nassau. I'm terribly upset and even tempted to cancel and see if we can postpone the trip.

Does anyone know of anything that WILL be open that can even attempt to salvage this trip?

I was on a christmas cruise in 2004 and was in Nassau on Christmas Day. The straw market was open as was all of the attractions on Paradise Island -- Hotel Atlantis. Christmas is a big vacation time in the Bahamas.

I was on a christmas cruise in 2004 and was in Nassau on Christmas Day. The straw market was open as was all of the attractions on Paradise Island -- Hotel Atlantis. Christmas is a big vacation time in the Bahamas.

You know, I'm going to go like it's closed and be THRILLED if it is open. I called the visitor's bureau. Once, the gal hung up on me, the second time she went on and on about junkanoo and said the straw market was closed. I'm going to try to make the best of all of it. But your post gives me a bit of hope!

I do believe all churches are open Christmas Day

Problem is the will be full of people. We were in Puerto Vallarta on New Years Day. Same thing... everything was closed. We decided to walk up to the local church to tour it.... but they were in the middle of a mass with an overflow crowd. Never got to see the inside of the church until we came back some years later.

No flames, but have you ever worked Christmas Day?:confused: If you have then you know it sucks.:mad: I have worked 16 in a row:mad: , that stretch ended 5 years ago. :) So take it from someone who's worked Christmas, nobody wants to.

Yeah take a beach day, I'm sure you'll find something to do. Have a great cruise.

No flames, but have you ever worked Christmas Day?:confused: If you have then you know it sucks.:mad: I have worked 16 in a row:mad: , that stretch ended 5 years ago. :) So take it from someone who's worked Christmas, nobody wants to.

Yeah take a beach day, I'm sure you'll find something to do. Have a great cruise.

I'm a newspaper editor. Elves don't put out the Dec. 26th edition, so yeah, I've worked several Christmases and just happen to have this one off to take my family on a cruise. And my newspaper doesn't depend on tourists to stay afloat like the businesses in the Bahamas do. That said, and as I mentioned, I anticipated everything being a bust in Freeport on Christmas and a few things being closed Boxing Day in Nassau. I didn't expect the straw market to be closed on the 26th. And since the Carnival Web site let me BUY tickets to Ardastra for the 26th, I ASSUMED that meant Ardastra would be open.

Well, I emailed them to find out and this was the reply:

"

Hello there,

You are correct in thinking that Ardastra will be closed this Dec 26th. This is a decision that was made less than a week ago so the Website is probably not up to date on that. We will also be closed on New Years Day.

Thx,

Shelley

"

Archived