Formal nights - holiday cruise

retiredbrit

Anyone been on a long (16 nights) over Christmas and New Year?

I am unsure about the mix of dress codes. We are on the Mercury sailing 23 December

The ticket booklet says goes up to 15 nights – the dress code is 8 casual, 4 informal and 3 Formal.

There is a note that the formals cover the Captains “welcome dinner”, and his “farewell dinner” plus a third or fourth formal nights.

What will the dress code be for the Captains welcome dinner will probably be Christmas Eve and his farewell is usually the evening before the last full day on board.

So that leaves Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day?

Did I read somewhere that there were some optional Formals on a holiday cruise?

Any ideas?

regards Alan

I am no expert, and there will be those who disagree but I will take a logical stab at this. If I understand your question correctly...

Captain's Welcome is formal. Will your second night aboard, Decemeber 24, be formal? More than likely, Christmas Eve is normally "optional" formal anyway with many people "dressing up". They have to have the "Welcome" at the beginning of the cruise no? Otherwise it would not be a welcome? ;)

Chiristmas Day is normally formal as well as New Year's Eve. Perhaps they will make Christmas Day optional formal? Personally I couldn't imagine it, but stranger things have happened.:rolleyes:

Whichever is your next to last night of your sailing should normally have been your 3rd formal night. Again, they can't skip it otherwise it wouldn't be a farewell no? ;)

If your paperwork notes "or fourth formal nights." I would anticipate such just to be on the safe side. You could always bring 3 formal outfits and just wear the first one if need be a fourth night. Just make sure you don't have any spills. :D

Archived