Wrong Stateroom Size from Cunard

JKC2

:mad: :mad: :mad:

We booked 2 sectors of the QM2 2007 World voyage totalling 34 nights early this year in May for a D6 inside stateroom. When we made our booking, all brochures and web site information from Cunard clearly state that the stateroom size was 194 sq ft. But when we recently paid our final payment, we were told that the information was wrong, the size of the stateroom is in fact only 155 sq ft. and that they have now changed all their brichures and internet information. We obviously were not happy as if we knew that the size of the stateroom was only 155 sq ft, most probably we would have booked the similar sectors on QE2 instead which is also doing the world voyage on a similar itinerary round about the same time. And for the per person per night money that we paid for our QM2 booking, we could have booked ourselves a C4 outside stateroom with a size of 180 sq ft. Cunard has only admitted that it was a printing error and refused to assign us to a stateroom of 194 sq ft on QM2. The Cunard Line Guest Relations Department staff refused to talk to us on our request and even refused us to speak to a more senior person in the company for our concern.

We found that this is most disappointing and grossly unfair to us to the extent that we feel that we have been deceived.

We just wondered if any one might have had any similar experience of making a wrong booking on wrong information supplied by the cruise company. And indeed, any other means to take our grievance further.

Do a search on the boards, this has been mentioned before. Don't expect you will get much mileage with Cunard on this though, if you get a credit against a future cruise you will be lucky. All their publications will have the cover all of "Errors and Omissions Excepted" as well as saying square footages are guideline only.

Be prepared to write more than one letter, mention CruiseCritic and keep at them if you want to get anything.

I have stayed in a D6 myself and the size was fine, they are a better shape than the QE2 cabins where a large amount of the square footage is the corridor coming in from the door!

Tell us how you get on.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Cunard have known about the various sizes of their inside cabins for at least 2 years and this issue had been raised on this board before - they are NOT all a standard 194 sqft. The smaller square footage was first discovered when the ship first went into service but Cunard never changed the info till much later. I do though see in their "2007-2008 voyages" brochure ( printed 4/06 ) that they describe a D2 as 157 sqft along with a picture.

The problem maybe that the Cunard agents also handle Princess cruises and really have no clue what they are selling as far as Cunard goes. They are notorius for giving incorrect information. If you call 3 times with same question you more than likely will receive 3 different answers.

I would put pen to paper and write a letter ( snail mail ) to Cunards guest relations. It may help rather than venting on the phone to them.

Good luck, we're rootin' for ya. Let us know the final outcome.

Curls.

IMHO there should be an insert in the Cunard brochure stating 'brochure amendments' and itemising any errors and/or omissions. I don't think I've ever seen one in my brochures. If you booked through Cunard, this should also have flagged up on their system when you made the booking, and you should have been advised verbally. If you booked through a t/a, Cunard should have advised them and it is then, I believe, incumbent upon the t/a to advise you under Trading Standards law. And if there is an exclusion under 'room sizes are for guidance only' or similar, this is hardly a minor difference; in any case, this was a brochure errata and not a natural slight variance between different rooms.

Good luck, Mary

This was a brochure errata and not a natural slight variance between different rooms.

Unfortunately a brochure or web site is only seen as an "Invitation to Treat" and doesn't form part of the contract unless it is specifically mentioned as one of the terms. That said it is well worth writing to Cunard and telling them you're not happy. In the pre Carnival days they compensated us by changing a 7 night round trip from Southampton into an 11 night last leg of the WC to include flights:cool:

Thanks to everyone of you who have given us your advice and help. Just to explain a little more into our situation - we had our very first ever cruise on QE2 in late November 2005 - The Three Continents, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We were so impressed and happy with our experience with the ship and Cunard, we decided to bring forward the holiday planned to be taken upon John's retirement in 2010. We decided to go back to Cunard as we were very happy and they gave us a discount of 5% being a member of their World Club. We chose QM2 on the advice from their consultant on board QE2 on the basis that services are the same but cabin sizes are a lot bigger on QM2. As a comparison in accordance to the Cunard publications,we were shown that an inside M4 cabin on QE2 is 121 sq ft while an inside D6 cabin on QM2 is 194 sq ft although for the same money we could book an outside C4 cabin with one sitting dining on QE2. We were further told that because QM2 has a lot more on board dining choices, it dos'nt matter whether it was one sitting or two sitting dining.

Whilst we were looking to go back to QE2 we finally decided to choose QM2 based on the information that we have been given.

As you may appreciate that it was a major decision on us and probably can understand why we are so disappointed. We have been informaed by Cunard/Carnival denying any responsibility of assigning us to a cabin as advertised. And worse, the Australian office refused to talk to us and want us to speak to their US office although we made the booking with them in Australia. Only after we chased up their US office, they have written to us, still denying their responsiblity of assigning the cabin as advertised and what we have paid for and only offered US$600 on board credit to the two of us as compensation. We do find it a joke as we paid approximately US$17,000 but the point is that we were misled to make a wrong decision and that is not the monetary compensation that we are looking for but just trying to get what we paid for. And worse, we have to stick to other people's mistake as we have already booked flights, hotels etcc for the cruise which we cannot change.

It is obvious that Cunard thinks that we are just two of their many customers and don't quite care if they lost us!

Thanks to everyone of you who have given us your advice and help. Just to explain a little more into our situation - we had our very first ever cruise on QE2 in late November 2005 - The Three Continents, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We were so impressed and happy with our experience with the ship and Cunard, we decided to bring forward the holiday planned to be taken upon John's retirement in 2010. We decided to go back to Cunard as we were very happy and they gave us a discount of 5% being a member of their World Club. We chose QM2 on the advice from their consultant on board QE2 on the basis that services are the same but cabin sizes are a lot bigger on QM2. As a comparison in accordance to the Cunard publications,we were shown that an inside M4 cabin on QE2 is 121 sq ft while an inside D6 cabin on QM2 is 194 sq ft although for the same money we could book an outside C4 cabin with one sitting dining on QE2. We were further told that because QM2 has a lot more on board dining choices, it dos'nt matter whether it was one sitting or two sitting dining.

Whilst we were looking to go back to QE2 we finally decided to choose QM2 based on the information that we have been given.

As you may appreciate that it was a major decision on us and probably can understand why we are so disappointed. We have been informaed by Cunard/Carnival denying any responsibility of assigning us to a cabin as advertised. And worse, the Australian office refused to talk to us and want us to speak to their US office although we made the booking with them in Australia. Only after we chased up their US office, they have written to us, still denying their responsiblity of assigning the cabin as advertised and what we have paid for and only offered US$600 on board credit to the two of us as compensation. We do find it a joke as we paid approximately US$17,000 but the point is that we were misled to make a wrong decision and that is not the monetary compensation that we are looking for but just trying to get what we paid for. And worse, we have to stick to other people's mistake as we have already booked flights, hotels etcc for the cruise which we cannot change.

It is obvious that Cunard thinks that we are just two of their many customers and don't quite care if they lost us!

Hi

Keep on with your letters, my father paid for eleven of us to go on the QM2 for Christmas last year, we had such a wonderful and memorable time that he sneaked to the on board sales office and booked for 18 of us this Christmas. they offered him such a good deal that he booked us all in Princes Grill, when the confirmation arrived it was $60.000 more than he had been told on the ship so he cancelled, after much communication and denials from the on board sales personnel he rebooked us all Britannia balcony cabins and after MANY communications they have reinstated the on board credit originally promised (except for two people of which both are me and my partner who are gold members), its a great shame that they make you jump through such hoops and that there is very little extra gravitas given to loyal and regular customers, but everything seems to come right in the end.

Our last final hurdle is that there are 8 out of the 18 travelling who are non-adults and they have managed to confirm second sitting to the adults and first to the younger members which seems very strange when you would assume that such a large booking would be treated with some reverence (around £120.000) it also seems odd that they would imagine parents wanting to be separated from their children at such a key time of year, we have been made certain e-mailed guarantees that it will all be "sorted" prior to travel, but no one is willing to actually change the confirmation status of the booking at this stage until 18th December (we are sailing on 23rd!!!) Four of us are also booked on the 40th anniversary QE2 next September. It is often very strange which parameters they use to give preference to loyal customers, they freely admitted when I booked my tickets for next September on a guarantee basis that I was more likely to be upgraded than my parents who have booked and paid for well in excess of 50 persons cruises (I have booked and paid for 6 persons cruises)

All rants apart I know we will have an extraordinary experience, but there should be some systems in place to offer a fairer and less aggravating booking process,especially to loyal customers whom have a high regard for Cunard spanning over 40 years.

We are also travelling with some friends who we met last Christmas and have become very close to, they met many years ago on the QE2, got engagaed last year on the QM2, she alone has sailed 35 times on the QE2 and it took them six months of very strong communications before their second sitting was transferred from "request" to "confirmed" status, when they had four future bookings made!!

If all else fails, I met my partner last Christmas on the QM2 and they had a B5 inside cabin which was apparently very nice indeed, I think you will love the QM2, she is a very different ship to the QE2 and will provide you with a very comfortable and enjoyable experience scoring very highly in some of the weak areas of the QE2, but inevitably lacking in the homely and historic aspects of the Grand Dame herself, incidently I personally think that you will find the Brittania dining experience every bit (if not more) satisfying than the Caronia on the QE2, as I dined in the queens grill recently on the QE2 and found it less impressive than the Britannia on the QM2 (in fact much below my memories of the Mauritania a few years ago on the QE2)

Good luck

Mark

In the United States, that is called False Advertising. Of course, they do have their disclaimers. Still, there are limits to what Disclamers will excuse. Especially under your circumstances.

I would print out this post (and perhaps all of the responses indicating this is becoming Cunard's reputation under the new Princess reservations system and mangament, Then I would send the whole kit and caboodle, but VERY POLITELY! and I stress this. My Daddy always taught me, you get more flies with honey than with vinegar (Though what you would want with flies, I'm not quite sure!<LOL>) Anyway, I would send the whole thing to Carol Marlow. Mark it confidential, and send it registered mail or whatever they call a similar thing in Oz, sending you a receipt that it was received.

Again, Do this is politely as possible. Indicate that Cruise Critic has many many readers, and is always adding new ones, who sometimes check with experienced cruisers on this board before making a decision of line, ship and trip. Indicate that one thing you had always heard (or experienced) was of Cunard's unparalleled service, and you are quite disappointed to learn that Cunard no longer stands by its word, and they no longer value their repeat customers.

Second, There was an article at the top of the page a couple of days ago about a similar situation with HAL where an advertisment was sent out that was patently wrong. HAL refused to make good, offering a paltry sum to those aggreived to make it go away. It makes interesting reading. Especially as they are both owned by the same company (Carnival Corp) and such complaints have been made by long time passengers of both lines. I can assure you myself, of the difference on service from both Cunard and HAL in the past several years. Don't get me wrong. I still love Cunard, and had a marvelous time on both of my cruises this year, but they are not up to the standards I experienced when cruising Cunard ten years ago. Nor was my most recent HAL cruise.

Karie,

Who is appaled at the treatement of someone such as yourself, expecially in light of the fact that one dining room on QE2 remains smoking due to the wishes (supposedly) of one particular cruiser. I guess you simply aren't the right one!

As I know you are in Australia (as am I) I will chime in that as I'm sure you know we also have "False and Misleading Advertising" laws under our Trade Practices Act which is administered by the ACCC. You could try waiving that under their nose, or in fact reporting them if you wish.

Good luck with that. I'm not surprised that you have had trouble dealing with Cunard reservations here in Australia, I've found them hopeless in booking our QM2 reservation. I definitely knew more than they did and they really were not helpful at all!

Good luck with it

Timmi

Unfortunately a brochure or web site is only seen as an "Invitation to Treat"

Ah hah, but once you've accepted their invitation then my understanding is that any material error in the brochure or website must be pointed out at the time of booking. Cunard MUST have been aware of this major problem when the OP booked and it was up to them to ensure that clients booking one of these cabins was made aware of it.

Regards, Mary

(Malcolm, hope the man-flu situation is improving.)

JKC2, as somebody who has stayed in an inside, let me try to cheer you up a little bit and make you think more positive and forward looking about you upcoming cruise.

The sheer number of square feet is not everything, in several strangely shaped cabins on the QE2 square feets do not really add to the usable size.

Probably you have seen pictures of the inside QM2 cabins, at least in the brochures, before you booked, and you liked them. So you will like them in reality! They are just like that.

Looking at the cabin layouts provided in the brochure, you saw that inside cabins have a smaller seating area with armchairs while the outside and balcony cabins have a setee. You were happy with the arrangement of the cabin at time of booking, so you will be on board!

Personally I would have booked the QE2 even expecting a smaller cabin size, but you were tempted by some of the amenities the QM2 has and the QE2 has not, like the additional restaurants. Go on and enjoy all what this great ship has to offer!

Now you even got several hundreds of dollars onboard credit! Some more money to spent outside the cabin if you want!

Don't spent your valuable time regretting having booked the ship, you might not really prefer, in hindsight, or trying to fight with Cunard about something they have covered in their conditions. You will meet great people, dine in an impressive dinning room, be on the greatest ship built in our time. I wish you all the enjoyment you hope for!

Ah hah, but once you've accepted their invitation then my understanding is that any material error in the brochure or website must be pointed out at the time of booking.

I don't think so - I would think that if they have issued (or are going to issue) something with the correct details that's all they would need to do. I'm not willing to give a definitive answer though, my reasons for saying that Cunard aren't responsible are based on my training as a hotel manager many years ago.

Malcolm, hope the man-flu situation is improving.

He's taken three days off work and is improving, but he's still wandering about like a lost soul!

Our false and misleading advertising laws definitely cover brochures, they say so explicitly. I would think you would have a good case for recourse if you could show that was a) its in the brochure (read advertising) b) its wrong and c) it was a substantive part of the reason you booked.

I think the only part you may have trouble with is the c) part as they may say it was a mistake and only a small one. Its obviously a big one to you though!

As I said, probably worth a try, good luck with it!

I don't think so - I would think that if they have issued (or are going to issue) something with the correct details that's all they would need to do. I'm not willing to give a definitive answer though, my reasons for saying that Cunard aren't responsible are based on my training as a hotel manager many years ago.

He's taken three days off work and is improving, but he's still wandering about like a lost soul!

Hello Malcolm, shall we be very well behaved and agree to disagree?

What amazing progress your other half has made; only three days off work with man-flu. And if he's wandering about, that must mean he's already able to stand and move simultaneously; miraculous.

Hoping the OP has had some success, Mary

Hello Malcolm, shall we be very well behaved and agree to disagree?

Yes, lets:) As I've said my (very limited) legal knowledge dates back a long way:( Things have changed a lot since Victoria was on the throne:)

What amazing progress your other half has made; only three days off work with man-flu.

I feel that I'd be wronging him if I didn't say again that he's not calling it flu. It's just a cold - a bad cold (and I believe that he does feel ill). Besides he's going on holiday in nine days so he's got to be better for that:D

Hoping the OP has had some success

I don't think they have much chance of fighting Cunard on legal grounds, but if they get a helpful person to deal with it they could get quite an upgrade. I wonder what category does have an area of 194 sq feet?

Archived