Many kids on the Oosterdam - Thanksgiving week?

cawhite

OK.... everyone. It looks like we're going to go with the Dawn Princess after all so I'll be booking that today (there's a promotion going on this week that I want to catch). I hope we're not disappointed Leslie (chumley)!

The parents said they'd be happy with Princess or HAL. I will definitely look into HAL "next time", however... after we try out Princess.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Carole

I did look into going out of LA on the Vision of the Seas... but we'd prefer San Diego, and also VOS gets to Cabo later in the morning than HAL and Princess... we need to get in as early as possible for scuba diving (main shore excursion on the trip!).

Carole

Carole -

Scuba diving ROCKS!!!

Mike

OK.... everyone. It looks like we're going to go with the Dawn Princess after all so I'll be booking that today (there's a promotion going on this week that I want to catch). I hope we're not disappointed Leslie (chumley)!

The parents said they'd be happy with Princess or HAL. I will definitely look into HAL "next time", however... after we try out Princess.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Carole

Carole -

Good luck with the Dawn Princess. We did the Diamond Princess on the MexRiv a couple of years back and loved the itinerary - especially Cabo. We just got off the Caribbean Princess (over Thanksgiving) and the kids' clubs were very active. The kids in our group are younger than yous but were entertained well and it appeared that the older kids were having fun too. It worked well for us as the kids (generally) wanted to spend just a while at the club and then hung out with us or their grandparents.

We also booked under a promotion as you're doing - some are very sweet! Anyhow, the Thanksgiving cruise idea is great, have fun! :)

Mike

Thanks mjwelch - I can't wait to see Cabo. We went there for our honeymoon in 1985, and haven't been back since. Back then there was just about NOTHING there... 3 hotels and no real activities, tours, etc. to speak of.

I have heard the diving is better up in the Sea of Cortez (near La Paz) than in Cabo... but I don't know if we can get up there easily, and/or in a timely enough manner, from Cabo, however.

We're going to the Virgin Islands in June '07 (land vacation)... so DH and DD can scuba dive... DS and I are snorkelers.

Thanks mjwelch - I can't wait to see Cabo. We went there for our honeymoon in 1985, and haven't been back since. Back then there was just about NOTHING there... 3 hotels and no real activities, tours, etc. to speak of.

I have heard the diving is better up in the Sea of Cortez (near La Paz) than in Cabo... but I don't know if we can get up there easily, and/or in a timely enough manner, from Cabo, however.

We're going to the Virgin Islands in June '07 (land vacation)... so DH and DD can scuba dive... DS and I are snorkelers.

Cabo - as you remember, has that cool rock arch. We did a hiking/kayaking tour there - it was great but a lot of work. (I don't know if it was the sun, fighting a current or what ... but it was still fun!) I just came back from diving off St. Thomas. It was pretty but the waves came up and we got really pummeled. Hopefully it will be sunny and calm when you go!

Ooo.... mjwelch - any recommendations for best dive spots in the USVI / BVI? We're staying at the Marriott on St. Thomas and will be making arrangements for diving/snorkeling 2 days with Chris Sawyer's dive operation.

I tried to find a way to have DH and DD dive in the BVIs too. I contacted the folks @ divebvi... but they said it won't work as a day trip, and the ferry doesn't run every day, so we'd have to stay on Virgin Gorda a couple of nights to make it work. I might look into that.

Carole

Cawhite - We have booked a Easter cruise on the Noordam (My husband, Mother and 9 year old son.) Why did I pick Holland? My Mother. I took my mother last spring on the Maasdam and she is very impressed as I with Holland. We spoil our son with Disney World and we have a travel trailer and go to the beaches every year. We pick a different amusement park every summer so he can ride the highest and the fastest roller coasters.

Now its our turn. He knows what type of cruise this is - no climbing walls, no slides. We have been very honest with him with what we are going to do, what is offered and how he must behave, act like a gentlemen and getting dressed up (Which he is looking forward to and now wants his own tux:rolleyes: ). My mother has explained high tea, how dinner works. We have covered alot with him. He really wants to go with us and try all the different things that he has never done. He's looking forward to this as much as we are. He's quite happy with what Holland is offering: Pool, Basketball courts, ping pong, DVD, Playstations, Pizza parties, etc. We had lots of children last spring on the Maasdam. They were very well behaved and having fun. Who is the cruise for??? I think that a family cruise with grandparents, parents, and children are so rare. Go and enjoy and let your parents and your children have that expierence together. Something they will remember forever. (I can still see the look on my grandmother when she was the castle for the first time at disney world and I was a young child. - that was over 30 years ago.) My grandmother lived a couple of streets from me and my son sees my mother mostly everyday. Go and Enjoy

Stephanie

Thanks, caribbeanqueenie, for your knowledgeable words! We live near Disneyland / California Adventure, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, the beach, etc.... everything the kids could want all year long. So it should be fine with them to have a cruise geared not JUST for them!

I actually tried to book Princess on Friday, but due to lengthy meetings at work, I could not get back to the travel agent (I'm on PST, she's on EST). Sooo... I actually have this weekend to continue to consider the 2 options!

Now its our turn. He knows what type of cruise this is - no climbing walls, no slides. We have been very honest with him with what we are going to do, what is offered and how he must behave, act like a gentlemen and getting dressed up (Which he is looking forward to and now wants his own tux:rolleyes: ). My mother has explained high tea, how dinner works. We have covered alot with him. He really wants to go with us and try all the different things that he has never done. He's looking forward to this as much as we are. He's quite happy with what Holland is offering: Pool, Basketball courts, ping pong, DVD, Playstations, Pizza parties, etc. We had lots of children last spring on the Maasdam. They were very well behaved and having fun. Who is the cruise for??? I think that a family cruise with grandparents, parents, and children are so rare. Go and enjoy and let your parents and your children have that expierence together. Something they will remember forever. (I can still see the look on my grandmother when she was the castle for the first time at disney world and I was a young child. - that was over 30 years ago.) My grandmother lived a couple of streets from me and my son sees my mother mostly everyday. Go and Enjoy

Stephanie

Stephanie -

I haven't done HAL with my 5 1/2 year old but I like you spirit! Get your sone a tux - really! I've gotten mine two from eBay - both were new and very reasonably priced. Considering he'll outgrown them in a few months I didn't pay anything close to mine - more like $40 or so ... and they look so darned handsome in them! As long as you level with him, as you've done, I'm sure he'll have a good time. As I mentioned to Carole - even with all RCCL and Princess have to offer, our son liked spending time with family just as much ... cruising really is a neat family vacation!

Ooo.... mjwelch - any recommendations for best dive spots in the USVI / BVI? We're staying at the Marriott on St. Thomas and will be making arrangements for diving/snorkeling 2 days with Chris Sawyer's dive operation.

I tried to find a way to have DH and DD dive in the BVIs too. I contacted the folks @ divebvi... but they said it won't work as a day trip, and the ferry doesn't run every day, so we'd have to stay on Virgin Gorda a couple of nights to make it work. I might look into that.

Carole

Carole -

I believe the company I dove with off USVI with was Underwater Safaris (it was setup by another diver). We dove two places- Navy Barges and and bit to the west of there - but as I mentioned - it was rough that day and we got tossed a lot. I've heard very good things about Coki Beach Dive Club but haven't gone with them myself. Haven't taken the time to do the BVIs yet, but if you find a gem, let me know!

Mike

Thanks Mike! I read that Coki Beach is good too... and that you can dive from shore (actually my DH and DD would rather dive from a boat so they don't have to lug their tanks all the way in!!!). I also read that a lot of feeding of fish goes on at Coki Beach, so lots of smaller fish are around for the food... then bigger fish come to eat the smaller fish... and then, because of the bigger fish, lots of sharks come too!! Wonder how true that is?!?

Oh, and I did get through to the TA today... went ahead and booked Princess, but can still change later if I change my mind (yet again).

Carole

Stephanie -

I haven't done HAL with my 5 1/2 year old but I like you spirit! Get your sone a tux - really! I've gotten mine two from eBay - both were new and very reasonably priced. Considering he'll outgrown them in a few months I didn't pay anything close to mine - more like $40 or so ... and they look so darned handsome in them! As long as you level with him, as you've done, I'm sure he'll have a good time. As I mentioned to Carole - even with all RCCL and Princess have to offer, our son liked spending time with family just as much ... cruising really is a neat family vacation!

:D Why Thank you for the compliment. We purchase alot on ebay - never thought of a tux. Great Idea.

I was on the OOsterdam Thanksgiving cruise. it had about 400 kids on it but I seldom saw them! The ones I saw were nice kids. When I was on the Mariner there were like 700 kids and I was well aware of them!! When we did the Vision a couple of years ago the crew was exhausted--they had had over 1000 kids on board the previous cruise. With this being a family cruise to be with your folks, I agree with others that HAL is the way to go to avoid being overburdened with other people's kids.

Unlike the previous poster I really liked the layout of the OOsterdam. I always had a place to quietly sit, wasn't assaulted by active bars at every turn--many of the lounges are separated.

[quote name='caribbeanqueenie']:D Why Thank you for the compliment. We purchase alot on ebay - never thought of a tux. Great Idea.[/quote]

You're very welcome! I just stumbled on the idea of checking eBay for a kid's tux and it's worked out great - twice!

[quote name='cawhite']There are so many varying opinions of HAL! I know one thing.... the staterooms and bedding sound devine!

Carole[/quote]

Carole -

Just took a look at the floorplans and cabins (as I haven't been on it myself). Staterooms look generous, and the Atrium looks classy, yet funky!

Mike

Archived