HC cabin for the Able-Bodied on Noordam

pogieone

We are booked into cabin 4132 on the Noordam May 20 Alaska. The deck plan shows that the cabin and verandah (balcony) are slightly larger the the other cabins in this price class. The problem is that both my wife and I are able-bodied people and this is a disabled accesss room. We were wondering if the large shower was a plus, we don't care about a tub; if the large doorways are a plus and if the room layout is a plus for someone who is not disabled. Our TA says its a plus due to the size of the cabin and balcony in addition, if HA needs the cabin for a disabled person, we would be upgraded. What do you CC'ers think?

I guess I think Handicapped cabins are just that. They are very limited in number and we were told none was available for our 12/13 cruise on the Volendam. There is a reason why they are larger --we will have 2 oxygen tanks in the cabin but our regular veranda cabin will not accomadate the wheelchair.... so DH will have to do without. Wonder how many able bodied just wanted a larger cabin on our cruise?

Not all able bodied want the HC rooms. We are on the Noordam 2/17 in a SC suite that is a handicapped room. We had booked in a different room but HAL called back and said that room was no longer available and now we are in the handicapped suite. Again, we didn't ask for it in advance, it was assigned. I'm hoping to get out of there as I really don't want the toilet in the shower.

Sueseb - I'd call my TA and ask them to twist some arms. It's possible an able bodied person is in a handicapped cabin, but like cat1, isn't there by choice. It also may be that all the handicapped cabins in your price range are booked, and HAL isn't offering to bump you up until they can see if they can sell the handicapped cabin(s) in any higher category for more money.

I'd be a squeaky wheel for something as important as this.

Why can't HAL just make a distinguish somewhere in their reservation as to who needs the HC room and who doesn't. I just don't think we should have to pay an additional $1,000 to get out of a room that we never requested to begin with. They obviously have the room (SB) available, so why not upgrade someone else if they wish and just give us a regular room instead of trying to make this difficult. My feeling is that we paid for a Deluxe Verandah Suite for three people that includes Deluxe Verandah Suites: 2 lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath & shower & additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceili (SC)

Do the handicapped rooms still have the softa bed? In reality we get half of the bathroom and a toilet in the shower. I replied to their email that since our room is not equipped with everthing we had paid for, we should be moved to another SC room as we did not pay for a GTY but for an actual suite and we are only getting half of that. Their re-reviewing it supposedly. I refuse to be the one sitting in that room keeping a handicapped person from cruising! Of course assuming that a handicapped person is waiting for a room.

Here's hoping you enjoy your cruise with constant thoughts of the handicapped person who was unable to cruise because you have the HC room.

I dont see the point of your sarcasm, since the OP didnt ask for the room they have, they are simply asking a question about a room they were assigned. I'm sure that if there's room available somewhere else on the ship that HAL would move them to accomodate a request for a handicapped room. HAL requests medical certification for anyone asking to be booked in one of the handicapped cabins.

...the OP didnt ask for the room they have,

:confused: There is nothing in the original post to indicate that HAL assigned the cabin to the OP. The OP may or may not have asked for that cabin.

In either case, the OP is now aware that they are in a handicapped cabin and if they did request it they should ask to be moved as HAL has now taken that cabin out of inventory; no handicapped person is now able to book it.

As an actual fact no cruise line "marks" whether a passenger is HC or not. In fact, it is against the law to require "proof". No one has to show that.

Take a trip over to the Disabled cruising board to see what is really going on.

I originally posted what happened but in a shorter version, there were two SC cabins left and we requested the non handicapped room. HAL took our deposit and told us they had to assign us to the handicapped room as the other room was already taken (it was still showing to be available but no one from HAL could explain to us why). They assigned us to the HC room and said it was the last SC available. We did not request this room or want this room, but it happens to be the last room available in the SC category apparently. Now that a SB room became available they want an additional $1,000 from us to get out of that room. I asked them what would happen should a handicapped person call and ask for a suite, she said that it would be unavailable to them as they don't do upgrades for this early. We can't afford the additional $$ and I feel like we got jipped since we are not getting the type of room we had originally paid for, and not only that, should a handicapped person request a suite, they get jipped too.

I dont see the point of your sarcasm, since the OP didnt ask for the room they have, they are simply asking a question about a room they were assigned. I'm sure that if there's room available somewhere else on the ship that HAL would move them to accomodate a request for a handicapped room. HAL requests medical certification for anyone asking to be booked in one of the handicapped cabins.

Cat1 isn't the OP, and MsRaye was not responding to the OP.

Further, there is no way the OP was assigned this cabin as their cruise isn't until May '07! Guar aren't usually assigned until a month (2 max) out. The OP CHOSE this cabin because:

cabin and verandah (balcony) are slightly larger the the other cabins in this price class.

and

We were wondering if the large shower was a plus . . . if the large doorways are a plus and if the room layout is a plus

and

Our TA says its a plus due to the size of the cabin and balcony in addition

What really doesn't make sense is the TA told the OP that if a HC person needed the room they WOULD be upgraded. This is wrong on TWO counts:

1) HAL can't know who booked the HC room so they wouldn't have any way to know which HC rooms are truly HC passenger and which rooms are being occupied by selfish passengers looking for "plus"es

2) No TA can promise upgrades.

So either the OP was lied to by his TA, or the OP said his last sentence because he KNOWS that booking an HC cabin is wrong.

As for Cat1, it does seem that this cabin WAS assigned by HAL. As Cat1 is on the Feb. sailing I can believe that this has happened. If someone is HC and needs and HC room, they will call and Cat may be reassigned.

Cat, did you book a guar or a specific room? If a specific room, what was the reason HAL changed your CHOSEN cabin??

I originally posted what happened but in a shorter version, there were two SC cabins left and we requested the non handicapped room. HAL took our deposit and told us they had to assign us to the handicapped room as the other room was already taken (it was still showing to be available but no one from HAL could explain to us why). They assigned us to the HC room and said it was the last SC available. We did not request this room or want this room, but it happens to be the last room available in the SC category apparently. Now that a SB room became available they want an additional $1,000 from us to get out of that room. I asked them what would happen should a handicapped person call and ask for a suite, she said that it would be unavailable to them as they don't do upgrades for this early. We can't afford the additional $$ and I feel like we got jipped since we are not getting the type of room we had originally paid for, and not only that, should a handicapped person request a suite, they get jipped too.

oops, I guess we were posting at the same time.

When we requested a handicapped cabin, we were never asked to send proof of the handicap or a doctor's certification. We were, however, required to fill out a "special requirements information" form and to use an approved vendor to deliver oxygen to the ship. HAL never asked for any info but the vendor needed a doctor's perscription. All of this is handled very efficiently.

Not all able bodied want the HC rooms. We are on the Noordam 2/17 in a SC suite that is a handicapped room. We had booked in a different room but HAL called back and said that room was no longer available and now we are in the handicapped suite. Again, we didn't ask for it in advance, it was assigned. I'm hoping to get out of there as I really don't want the toilet in the shower.

cat1,

Don't forget about the shower in the adjacent bathtub......you don't need to use the shower in the toilet area.

In other words it just like most other cabins.

I don't blame you at all for being assigned to handicap cabin.....you did not request it. Obviously no handicapped person paid for that level of cabin, so it was available.

About the only other change in this cabin a single sink instead of a double.

We are booked into cabin 4132 on the Noordam May 20 Alaska. The deck plan shows that the cabin and verandah (balcony) are slightly larger the the other cabins in this price class. The problem is that both my wife and I are able-bodied people and this is a disabled accesss room. We were wondering if the large shower was a plus, we don't care about a tub; if the large doorways are a plus and if the room layout is a plus for someone who is not disabled. Our TA says its a plus due to the size of the cabin and balcony in addition, if HA needs the cabin for a disabled person, we would be upgraded. What do you CC'ers think?

Your TA was wrong to book you in a cabin you don't need. You will NOT be upgraded if a handicap person needs it. It is now out of inventory and now not available to a handicap person.

Please call your TA and ask if there is another room in your category that is not handicap.

It could happen that it will be assigned to able-bodied people closer to sailing date anyway, but at least you will be giving a handicap person a chance to actually go on a cruise.

Let your conscience be your guide.

I guess I did not make this clear in my original post...I WAS assigned this cabin. I did NOT make a request for this cabin. When I looked at the deck plan, I realized this was a HC cabin and called my TA. She said no way was it an HC cabin. She then looked at the deck pland and said, "Oh, it is a HC cabin." I asked here what the differences were and she said no tub and larger room and bacony (she never mentioned the toilet in the shower). I asked her what would happen if a disabled person needed the cabin, SHE said we would be upgraded if no other cabins in this price class were available. So since it was a larger cabin, a large shower, and a larger balcony, and if someone who really needed those things needed the cabin we would get a "better" cabin. If nobody else needed the HC cabin, we would be able to use a larger cabin. So it was a win-win situation.

I asked what I thought was a straight forward question, I wanted to know if I should be the one making a big deal about HAL ASSIGNING ME a HC cabin or should I let them find out at a later date. I certainly do NOT want to take a HC cabin from someone else who really needed it.

I guess I did not make this clear in my original post...I WAS assigned this cabin. I did NOT make a request for this cabin. When I looked at the deck plan, I realized this was a HC cabin and called my TA. She said no way was it an HC cabin. She then looked at the deck pland and said, "Oh, it is a HC cabin." I asked here what the differences were and she said no tub and larger room and bacony (she never mentioned the toilet in the shower). I asked her what would happen if a disabled person needed the cabin, SHE said we would be upgraded if no other cabins in this price class were available. So since it was a larger cabin, a large shower, and a larger balcony, and if someone who really needed those things needed the cabin we would get a "better" cabin. If nobody else needed the HC cabin, we would be able to use a larger cabin. So it was a win-win situation.

I asked what I thought was a straight forward question, I wanted to know if I should be the one making a big deal about HAL ASSIGNING ME a HC cabin or should I let them find out at a later date. I certainly do NOT want to take a HC cabin from someone else who really needed it.

Thats fine, but the TA is TOTALLY wrong about upgrading you to another cabin if a handicap person needed it. This will not happen. The cabin is "gone" since you are in it.

pogieone!

I have fantastic news for you!

There is a cabin in your category which has a fantastic large balcony! It is cabin 4166!

Highly desirable to those that know about it!

Also there are other non-handicap balconies available in your category....4054,4170,4172,4175.

This is your lucky day if you can get a hold of your TA before 4166 is gone!

Archived