HC cabin for the Able-Bodied on Noordam

pogieone

pogieone!

I have fantastic news for you!

There is a cabin in your category which has a fantastic large balcony! It is cabin 4166!

Highly desirable to those that know about it!

Also there are other non-handicap balconies available in your category....4054,4170,4172,4175.

This is your lucky day if you can get a hold of your TA before 4166 is gone!

Pogieone - if Tinknock 50 is correct - you may need to talk to your TA. Easy to check if those rooms are available - check HAL's site, Expedia, and Travelocity. If in fact they are available, your TA is lying to you. For a TA or any able body person to book a HC room when other rooms in the same category are available is dispicable. I would fire my TA. Now when the situation is as Cat1 says, that's a different story. Handicap people have the right to the rooms first, but the cruiseline also has the right to sell those rooms to able body people if that is the last room available in the category requested. That doesn't usually happen until it gets close to the cruise date. JMHO

Pogieone - if Tinknock 50 is correct - you may need to talk to your TA. Easy to check if those rooms are available - check HAL's site, Expedia, and Travelocity. If in fact they are available, your TA is lying to you. For a TA or any able body person to book a HC room when other rooms in the same category are available is dispicable. I would fire my TA. Now when the situation is as Cat1 says, that's a different story. Handicap people have the right to the rooms first, but the cruiseline also has the right to sell those rooms to able body people if that is the last room available in the category requested. That doesn't usually happen until it gets close to the cruise date. JMHO

Maggie,

That's how I found out they were available. I checked my online TA's site which is hooked into the same system as Travelocity, Expedia,etc.

There is no reason that TA should have put him in that cabin.

Good news I hope...

HAL has agreed to move us to SC GTY. At least then I know we won't be taking a HC room away from someone who needs it. They said their was a 50-50 change we could end up back in that room.

TA just called back. Because there were three of us in the cabin they agreed to give us the SB cabin (the one that they were trying to charge us $1,000 extra for yesterday) at no additional charge. They couldn't refund the difference between the SC and the SC GTY. Thank you HAL!

Good news I hope...

HAL has agreed to move us to SC GTY. At least then I know we won't be taking a HC room away from someone who needs it. They said their was a 50-50 change we could end up back in that room.

I see by your following post that your problem is solved.....great!

TA just called back. Because there were three of us in the cabin they agreed to give us the SB cabin (the one that they were trying to charge us $1,000 extra for yesterday) at no additional charge. They couldn't refund the difference between the SC and the SC GTY. Thank you HAL!

YAY!! Sounds like a TRUE win-win situation!! :D

FYI, Please don't assume that able bodied folks in HC cabins requested them. We did get assigned a very nice one -we were floating on GTY until 3 days before the cruise, then the cabin was assigned and it was an inside HC which we really enjoyed. When we were in the hall with the door open sometimes people passing would look in and make some pretty rude comments. I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt until HAL had a better way of managing the HCs especially early in the booking process which I think is where the OPs problem started.

just my 2 cents.

FYI, Please don't assume that able bodied folks in HC cabins requested them. We did get assigned a very nice one -we were floating on GTY until 3 days before the cruise, then the cabin was assigned and it was an inside HC which we really enjoyed. When we were in the hall with the door open sometimes people passing would look in and make some pretty rude comments. I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt until HAL had a better way of managing the HCs especially early in the booking process which I think is where the OPs problem started.

just my 2 cents.

Never held it against someone if they were assigned an HC cabin just before a cruise.

I agree HAL has some work to do with their system. The biggest problem is that their computers don't recognize "handicap". So if someone is in a low level HC cabin, they can not be upgraded. (except upgraded OUT of their HC cabin!) But an able bodied person can be upgraded into an HC cabin. Not fair at all.

Archived