Has anyone done the banana plantation tour in Guatemala?

clerky96

We are considering doing it with Gus. He has been so nice to email me with prices for different tours. Just wondered what the tour actually consists of. He told me it is only about 2 hours. The banana plantation tour with NCL is listed as 3.5 hours long. Wonder what the difference in the tour is to make it so much shorter than NCL's. Anyone been on this tour?

Anyway, with it being a short tour, it leaves us time in port to just relax and shop a little bit (I know there are not many shops here).

• 1 month later...

Joeskitty, I never got much of a response about this tour. A private individual told me that it was not much of a tour. Also, DD told me that there are poisonous spiders in the banana bunches, so to be sure and be very careful around them We nixed the tour.

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

We did the NCL banana plantation tour on 2/14. This is a Grayline Tour that visits a 300-acre plantation about an hour's drive south of the port (Gus must visit a nearer location to do it in less time). The drive is in a modern, air-conditioned coach and provides plenty of countryside viewing. We had a good tour guide (Julio) that provided a great education on banana growing and took us through the labor intensive production process (locals working long hours for about $1/hour). Didn't see any spiders or other critters. Stopped at a local restaurant/gift shop on the return trip. A good tour that returned in time for lunch on the ship and to visit the shops at the pier (no other eating/shopping options a readily available at this port).

Archived