Seeing Space Shuttle Launch

virginiab

We are leaving on the Victory on Sunday, and they have now shifted the space shuttle launch to Saturday night. Can we see anything in the night sky from Miami when they launch? Or how close would we have to be to see the shuttle go up? The launch is scheduled for 8:47 PM and we have to pick up my mother at the airport at 5:40, so we don't have time to drive all the way to the Kennedy Space Center, but I've always wanted to see a space flight go up. Is there any hope?

We are leaving on the Victory on Sunday, and they have now shifted the space shuttle launch to Saturday night. Can we see anything in the night sky from Miami when they launch? Or how close would we have to be to see the shuttle go up? The launch is scheduled for 8:47 PM and we have to pick up my mother at the airport at 5:40, so we don't have time to drive all the way to the Kennedy Space Center, but I've always wanted to see a space flight go up. Is there any hope?

It was originally taking a due northward trajectory when it was supposed to leave on Thursday.

Anybody on the Eastern seaboard up to Nova Scotia was supposed to be able to see it.

(here in Charleston, we were told to be on the beach and it would fly past 4 minutes after it's launch at Port Canaveral.)

Since it is flying AWAY from Miami, I don't know if you could see anything at all.

Not sure if the trajectory will change with a 2 day change in departure or not.

Bill

I am in Daytona Beach and was waiting for the lift off last night, it is scheduled for tomorrow night, but on the local channel they said it is only a 30% chance of going up, so dont get your hopes up.

Archived