Which would you choose: inside or ov??

Dorie7

Hi!

The Carnival special yesterday had an Ocean view upgrade available for the same price as an inside. We're on the Victory in April. We were told that the inside on Deck 10 was better than the OV on Deck 4. Which would you choose for your first cruise?

Thanks,

Dorie

I would go with the OV anytime! I have had both, and I have found no problems with either, but I would prefer OV anytime I could afford it. Even if it meant I might have to walk up and down a few more decks to get to my cabin.

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of daytime sleeping and would like to have the dark, quiet room, I would go with the OV.

After multiple cruises and realizing how little time I spend in a room I would not pay more for the view. Would rather spend it elsewhere. That being said if the cost is the same I would not take an inside cabin.

I am afraid I might be ruining my self as I leave on the Miracle later this month having spent a bundle for my 1st balcony. I am afraid its going to be like the first time I flew 1st class and now I kick and scream when I have to go coach!

Since there are no passenger cabins on deck 4 on Carnival Victory, I guess I would settle for the inside on deck 10. :D

You should check and see where the OV cabin is. If it is on Deck 1, 2, or 11 I would definitely take the upgrade. If it is on deck 9 or 10 I would consider it. If it is on deck 6 or 7 I probably would not take it. The OV's facing the front of the ship have a public deck outside the window. You won't be able to enjoy the view anyway. In these cases I would prefer deck 10 inside which is quiet.

I have done inside and oceanview. I didn't mind the inside cabin at all. The oceanview cabin was much better. Now that I've had an oceanview, I doubt I'll ever do inside again.

I would definitely check out where the oceanview is located. I don't think I'd like an oceanview that had a public deck outside it, as described by yst. Other than that, I would definitely take the oceanview, especially if it's the same price as the inside! Good luck. :)

As a severe claustrophobe, I'd always choose an OV over an inside, no matter where the OV cabin is. But if the claustrophobia wasn't an issue, I'd take the advice and check where the potential OV cabin is. As someone else said, most people aren't in their cabins much, just to sleep and shower/change clothes, pretty much. So, if you can tolerate no window, it might be a good idea to save the $$ for other things.

To the person getting their 1st balcony: If you are anything like me then YES, you will be spoiled forever. I ended up having to book a suite on the Elation for my upcoming cruise just so that I could have a balcony. *sigh* I had to forgo 1st class airfare (which I'm also spoiled for!) in order to get that darned balcony! Nothing like leaving the door open at night and hearing the ocean while you go to sleep...

And I don't get what people mean when they say that one deck is better than another. Other than the amount of possible motion (the higher decks being more suseptible), I don't see how that makes sense. Even the location (if it's supposedly a "bad" area for a cabin) has a lot to do with how sound one sleeps, the particular noise level that varies from cruise to cruise, the people in neighboring cabins, etc. For example, we had an OV GTY that ended up being directly UNDER the galley. I FREAKED and packed ear plugs, etc. We didn't hear a peep the entire week. In fact, we loved the location so much, we booked it for our upcoming cruise.

I really enjoyed our OV room. The windows are huge and deep...deep enough so I could perch inside it to watch us pull into port in the mornings (if it was early and DH was still sleeping, I could pull the curtain shut behind me).

To me, the price difference is negligible from IS to OV. Although I'm admittedly too cheap to spring for a balcony....the OV honestly gives us a nice view and some sunlight, but we don't spend enough time there to warrant the extra $$ for the balcony.

I usually book insides, because of the price, but the OV is bigger and daylight is a lovely thing. The OV cabins at the front of many mid-level and higher decks do face a small public deck, but on most cruises it is little used, and you still have a view of sky and ship from your cabin, and you are only steps from the deck, so it's like a semi-private balcony.

Go with the oceanview!

ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT...OCEAN VIEW!!!

This of course is my opinion..I have never had an inside room but I know that I wouldnt want to be in there! Of course...if it meant the difference between being able to go or not...well i'd take it!!

GOOD LUCK!

We've had inside, oceanview and balcony - can't afford the balcony, but I'll definitely pay the difference for an OV - Like one of the above posters, I love sitting in the window and watching the water meet the sky!

Talk about spoiled, though - on our very first cruise, we were upgraded from an inside cabin in the bowels of the ship all the way to a top-level balcony! We had to explain to one of our DS's how we can't afford that on our own - (This was before DH and I were even dating - he was scheduled to crusie the Big Red Boat, but the ship was grounded - they gave him his money back and a free cruise. Before he rescheduled, we began dating and my son and I joined him and his son. I had to pay for my cabin, but they upgraded me along with him and the rest of the party.)

***** Ocean view *****

Even if I had to pay extra to get it.. I need to see the sun rise and set to keep my body in a certain rythm.. This is one reason kind of reluctant to take an Alaskan cruise.. during the summer, it never really gets dark out side..

If it's light outside I have to be moving!! DW would hate me for that!!

I am afraid I might be ruining my self as I leave on the Miracle later this month having spent a bundle for my 1st balcony.

Not to worry if you have a good attitude. We went from a balcony on our Alaska cruise to an inside for our next Caribbean cruise. It was fine, since we told ourselves that at least we were on vacation!

We had an OV for our first cruise, which was nice but expendable in view of the big picture of what it means to be on a cruise at all. I'd rather spend the differential for a good excursion or a relaxed perspective on the bar bill at the end of the week. . .

I agree with the others--Oceanview no question!

We went from an inside on our first cruise to a balcony on our second and have never booked anything but a balcony since! People say you don't spend enough time in your room to warrant a balcony--well, I certainly didn't when we had an inside but spend a lot more time there when we have a balcony. We've booked a Cat 12 suite for our next cruise--my birthday is two days before we sail, so the suite is a birthday present from DH--perfect that we'll have that larger balcony for Alaska (I doubt he'd have done that if we were going on Caribbean cruise).

Anyway, I'll stop babbling and say--get the oceanview!!:D

Hi!

The Carnival special yesterday had an Ocean view upgrade available for the same price as an inside. We're on the Victory in April. We were told that the inside on Deck 10 was better than the OV on Deck 4. Which would you choose for your first cruise?

Thanks,

Dorie

I wish you had posted a poll as this is an interesting question. My very first choice is always a balcony. But if booking on a budget, I'd definitely take an inside on a higher deck. Couldn't care less about an oceanview; the window doesn't open and I can't hear or smell the ocean.

Archived