HAL vs Cunard vs Celebrity

JLTO

We have just spent 2 weeks on QM2 and are well and truly hooked on cruising.

Many of our fellow passengers on QM2 also rated HAL and Celebrity highly.

I wonder if anyone on the forum who have also travelled with these companies give us an indication of how the 3 companies compare in terms of quality of food, cabins and service.

We have 2 small children - how do they treat kids?

Thanks in advance

I wonder if anyone on the forum who have also travelled with these companies give us an indication of how the 3 companies compare in terms of quality of food, cabins and service.

Thanks in advance

:cool: We did 11 days in a Queens Grill suite and in my opinion the food, truly "cuisine", is very much on a par with the "Luxury" lines we have sailed with, Seabourn, Silver Seas, Regent. Royal Viking....BUT, and for us it is all that really matters, Our suites, service and all around ambiance aboard HAL far out shine the QM2...In 2007 we have booked, 14 days on Silver Shadow, 14 days on the Ryndam, 14 days with Intrav on the Sound of Music and 20 days on the Regent Navigator...They are all preferred by us over that monster of a ship, QM2.....:D

:cool: We did 11 days in a Queens Grill suite and in my opinion the food, truly "cuisine", is very much on a par with the "Luxury" lines we have sailed with, Seabourn, Silver Seas, Regent. Royal Viking....BUT, and for us it is all that really matters, Our suites, service and all around ambiance aboard HAL far out shine the QM2...In 2007 we have booked, 14 days on Silver Shadow, 14 days on the Ryndam, 14 days with Intrav on the Sound of Music and 20 days on the Regent Navigator...They are all preferred by us over that monster of a ship, QM2.....:D

Of course SAGAFJORD was better than all of the above! :)

She is still in service .... as SAGA ROSE. Still beautiful and the food and service is excellent..... 87 days to go!

Stephen

Problem with trying to rate Cunard, though, is precisely because the food experience will differ depending upon what type of cabin you book. Cunard is the only cruise line that makes dining room assignments based on level of accommodations. So the person who dines in Queens Grill class will have a far different culinary experience than the folks in the "cheap seats" who eat in the main dining room.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We were on the QM2 in 2005 in the Brittainia (main) dining room. I'd say the food and service were

a cut above HAL and Celebrity, maybe what HAL was like when we first cruised in 1987.

On Celebrity I thought the dining on Zenith was close to Cunard, on Millennium not so much.

Don't get me wrong, it was all good, just a matter of degree.

(The huge price difference between QM2 and other ships is not worth the slightly better dining

experience for me.)

We'll be back on HAL soon after seven years away, so we'll see how they are holding up.

As far as cabins and service, unless you're going the suite route (which we've never done),

I didn't see significant difference.

Rita,

We have sailed on the QM2 in 2004, 2005 and 2006 in the quoted "cheap seats". We very much enjoyed the food so I think your comments are subjective. We sailed the Crown Princess this year and also were impressed with the quality of the food. Our first HAL cruise will be on the Noordam in February 2007 and we will be interested to see how it compares to both Cunard and Princess.

:) My wife and I have sailed on the QE2 and the Constellation. We are sailing on the Westerdam 12/17 and the QM2 4/02/07. The QE2 trip was to northern europe Oslo, Coppenhagen and Amsterdam. We have nothing neg. to say about Cunard (with the exception of the bus ride to Southhampton (bring a large lunch!!). As for on board: "A Lot of Tradition" We had an inside cabin and everyone treated us with do respect. Food was as good as one would expect, if it was not to your satisfaction it was corrected post hast. Cabin care was by the 'mystery ghost of yards ago'! Never could get a glimpse of them but they were there. Our opinion? We are looking foward to the QM2 (this time in a balcony suite.) Now for Celebrity's 'Constellation'. A fine ship indeed! I must confess we did not book this ship as I won it in a free drawing at a travel trade show we attended so we might find a cruise to our liking. Talk about timing! To give a comparison to these two Ships is very hard since the age of its passengers are so different. Diniing: food was great. Service was without fault. The Dress code for formal nites was not adherd to on Celebrity, on the QE2 don't show up if your not in proper order, as they will politely give you your options. Lastly: Both ships had a veterans meeting, onthe QE2 it was primarily WWll vets. On the Constellation, It was fellow Viet Nam Vets. We are now packing for the Westerdam. One thing I have noticed in the pass couple of months of reading the boards is 'No real neg . comments about this ship ' I'll let you know in 14 days.

We sailed on the QM2 for the second time in July and HAL Amsterdam in Oct. First time with HAL. We loved both ships and had no complaints with either cruise. We are booked again for the Queen in Sept 07 and looking for another cruise with HAL. Very different experiences, both wonderful. On the QM2 we had a cabin on deck 11, not sure what sort, midships, and on the Amsterdam were lucky enough to have a suite. The suite was lovely and had wonderful amenities, the QM2 cabin was, obviously, smaller, but very roomy and fine for us. The two ships have a different "feel" as one is very much a "Liner" and the other a cruise ship. Food was perhaps a tad better on the Mary, but food was excellent on HAL. The only children's program I have any experience with is on the QE2 which was wonderful. The entertainment was better on the QM2 and their was more variety in activities, lectures etc, as one would expect on a larger ship. The library on the Amsterdam was almost up to the one on the QM2, both wonderful. Shops on the Amsterdam were a bit of disapointment. However, we were on a repositioning cruise and shops had not been restocked. Quality of goods was lower. Service was very good on both ships. I hope to sail both lines again and soon! Have only been on Celebrity long ago so not fair to compare. Sufice it say we did not sail them again.

Enjoy which ever you choose !

B.

Of course SAGAFJORD was better than all of the above! :)

She is still in service .... as SAGA ROSE. Still beautiful and the food and service is excellent..... 87 days to go!

Stephen

Stephen, We sailed on the Sagafjord in 1982, round trip from San Francisco to Alaska. We had a Veranda cabin/suite on her brand new "Sun Deck"...At dinner we were seated with the Chief Engineer and he always made it a point that the table began service with Moet Chandon "White Star" and service was never over untill the table had it's nightly tot of aquavit!...Great memories....I have not seen her as the "Saga Rose", where is she normaly positioned?....Thank you, Rob

Love these comparisons! Lines we are looking at, too. Thanks again.

Problem with trying to rate Cunard, though, is precisely because the food experience will differ depending upon what type of cabin you book. Cunard is the only cruise line that makes dining room assignments based on level of accommodations. So the person who dines in Queens Grill class will have a far different culinary experience than the folks in the "cheap seats" who eat in the main dining room.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But this sort of information helps decide if the price differential is worth it.

Cheers

MarkB

Stephen, We sailed on the Sagafjord in 1982, round trip from San Francisco to Alaska. We had a Veranda cabin/suite on her brand new "Sun Deck"...At dinner we were seated with the Chief Engineer and he always made it a point that the table began service with Moet Chandon "White Star" and service was never over untill the table had it's nightly tot of aquavit!...Great memories....I have not seen her as the "Saga Rose", where is she normaly positioned?....Thank you, Rob

Yes, I also have great memories of SAGAFJORD under Cunard and now as SAGA ROSE under Saga Cruises.

The ROSE starts the year with a 108 day world cruise. Both she and the SAGA RUBY ex VISTAFJORD, set sail from Southampton on the same day... one heads east and the other west... passing in Sydney and arriving back in Southampton on the same day. As an example here was her itinerary for 2005.

World Cruise 108 nights

Jewels of the Mediterranean 22 nights

Baltic Capitals 13

French Medley 4

Baltic Capitals 13

Land of the Midnight Sun 15

Voyage to Greenland 18

Acrtic Circle 15

Greenland 18

British Isles 13

Fjordland Adventure 7

Baltic capitals 13

Treasures of the Mediterranean 15

Trafalgar Anniversary Cruise 15

Egypt & the Mediterranean 21

Latin American Rhapsody 31

Christmas in the Canary islands 18

Try www.sagacruises.com or www.saga.co.uk

You can also do a 360 degree tour of the public spaces, cabins etc.

Have a look at their on board booze prices. It will shock you!

The ship is impeccably maintained... but you have to remember that she is 40 years old now.

At the moment she is in drydock and they are doing a major refit. She only has a few years left unfortunately. Due to SOLAS she must be taken out of service in 2010. Ruth and I have already paid our deposit for the last cruise.... and they do not even know when or what it will be!!!!

Stephen

Hmm, guess I am obliged to answer this one having been on all three recently and being Host of the HAL and Cunard boards!

The truth is they are all very good. Cunard is usually more expensive but unless you are in the Grills, they are all really in the same class with respect to food, service and such. The Grills are a different story and as I've not experienced them and they are in a whole different price range, I won't discuss them here.

It is really difficult to compare food since this can depend as much on the particular cruise you're on than on the ship or cruise line. In a general sense, I would say they are all very good most of the time, and not so good some of the time! In the main dining room, I'd give HAL and Celebrity a very slight edge over Cunard only because I've found the food on Cunard to sometimes be a bit under-seasoned. Buffets are a different story with HAL clearly the best, Cunard also very good and Celebrity merely adequate. I can't compare alternative dining since in that arena I only have experience with HAL. QE2 and some Celebrity ships do not even have alternative restaurants, whereas all HAL ships do.

Service is if anything even more subjective than food, since it depends so much on contact with specific individuals (especially the waiter and cabin steward). With the exception of one waiter on QE2 who was really poor (and this can happen on any ship or line!) it is difficult to complain about the service on any of these lines. Service on Cunard tends to be more formal, Celebrity less so and HAL in between.

Cabins... Well, this obviously depends on the ship and on which particular cabin you book! Generally speaking, most HAL ships have bigger cabins than most Celebrity ships. QM2 is more in line with HAL while QE2 has every shape and size of cabin you can possibly imagine from miniscule to vast. Of course they all have the same basic contents: beds, wardrobes, a bathroom, etc.! HAL's luxury bedding is in every cabin on every ship while Cunard and Celebrity haven't gotten to this point yet.

Of course on Cunard if you book a deluxe cabin or suite you get a better dining room, whereas on HAL or Celebrity you get no such privelige. As a result, Cunard may be the best line if you want to sail on a large ship but intend to spend the extra money on a suite.

The biggest difference about Cunard is something that was not asked about here - this is the enrichment programs and on-board atmosphere. As an example, HAL and Celebrity will have between zero and one lecturer on a normal cruise whereas Cunard will have three, four or even more. Also, the social aspect is much stronger on Cunard than HAL or, especially, Celebrity. On Cunard the officers tend to be out and about and mixing with the passengers much more, and while both HAL and Cunard have very loyal groups of repeat passengers, on HAL they are spread out among 13 ships while on Cunard it is only two. This means that on Cunard you see the same people over and over again. This is nice, if you like those people ;) !

In the end I think HAL is the best all-around cruise line of the three but Cunard really stands out in the areas of enrichment programs and on-board atmosphere. Celebrity is very good but I am hard-pressed to think of a single area in which they really stand out, other than they have some beautiful ships. They need to do more to differentiate their product from the rest.

Oh, as for Saga... Stephen neglects to say that you have to be 50 to be a passenger on Saga, though if you are in your 40s you can travel if accompanied by an "adult" ;) !

If you fall into that age category and don't mind not having any "children" in their 20s, 30s or (usually) 40s around (my parents are in their 50s and hate the idea; they also refuse to join AARP!) then you should definitely take a look at them!

I have only ever come across two people who did not like Saga, and in both cases it was because they prefer newer ships.

Personally I am happy with HAL and Cunard but if I were 30 years older I would probably be a regular Saga passenger. As it is I am eager to try Oceania, Orient Lines and possibly Voyages of Discovery.

Oh, as for Saga... Stephen neglects to say that you have to be 50 to be a passenger on Saga, though if you are in your 40s you can travel if accompanied by an "adult" ;) !

If you fall into that age category and don't mind not having any "children" in their 20s, 30s or (usually) 40s around (my parents are in their 50s and hate the idea; they also refuse to join AARP!) then you should definitely take a look at them!

I have only ever come across two people who did not like Saga, and in both cases it was because they prefer newer ships.

Personally I am happy with HAL and Cunard but if I were 30 years older I would probably be a regular Saga passenger. As it is I am eager to try Oceania, Orient Lines and possibly Voyages of Discovery.

Doug,

Yes, I forgot to add that one vital piece of information. You must be 50 and your spouse or travelling companion must be over 40.

That said, I've never seen a scooter or walking frame on board.;)

One of the things I enjoy about Saga is the club atmosphere on board. Everyone is ultra polite. People stop and chat and generally pass the time of day with their fellow passengers. The staff and officers are usually out and about the ship more than usual. It is extremely rare to evry hear anyone complaining about anything. Their food is excellent. Single sitting dining room. Small (ish) ships.... 587 passengers (Rose), 650 (Ruby).

Stephen

:D

Yes, I also have great memories of SAGAFJORD under Cunard and now as SAGA ROSE under Saga Cruises.

The ROSE starts the year with a 108 day world cruise. Both she and the SAGA RUBY ex VISTAFJORD, set sail from Southampton on the same day... one heads east and the other west... passing in Sydney and arriving back in Southampton on the same day. As an example here was her itinerary for 2005.

World Cruise 108 nights

Jewels of the Mediterranean 22 nights

Baltic Capitals 13

French Medley 4

Baltic Capitals 13

Land of the Midnight Sun 15

Voyage to Greenland 18

Acrtic Circle 15

Greenland 18

British Isles 13

Fjordland Adventure 7

Baltic capitals 13

Treasures of the Mediterranean 15

Trafalgar Anniversary Cruise 15

Egypt & the Mediterranean 21

Latin American Rhapsody 31

Christmas in the Canary islands 18

Try www.sagacruises.com or www.saga.co.uk

You can also do a 360 degree tour of the public spaces, cabins etc.

Have a look at their on board booze prices. It will shock you!

The ship is impeccably maintained... but you have to remember that she is 40 years old now.

At the moment she is in drydock and they are doing a major refit. She only has a few years left unfortunately. Due to SOLAS she must be taken out of service in 2010. Ruth and I have already paid our deposit for the last cruise.... and they do not even know when or what it will be!!!!

Stephen

Thank you Stephen for the information..When we sailed on her in July,1982, she was operated by the now defunct"NAL"...Norwegan American Lines....Rob

:D Thank you Stephen for the information..When we sailed on her in July,1982, she was operated by the now defunct"NAL"...Norwegan American Lines....Rob

Rob,

All good things come to an end eh? :)

When you sailed in SAGAFJORD in 1982 she wasn't owned by Norwegian America Line.;)

In May 1980 SAGAFJORD and VISTAFJORD were transferred to a new company called Norwegian American Cruises... Leig Hoegh & Co. A?S Oslo as Managers.

SAGAFJORD was sent to Hamburg for rebuilding and during this time she acquired the new suites on the top deck. Very nice suites but they marred the ship's otherwise perfect profile. This work was completed in December 1980 and about this time Leig Hoegh acquired NAC outright.

In May 1983 SAGAFJORD and VISTAFJORD were sold (transferred in October) to Cunard. :eek: The name of the company was restyled to "Cunard/NAC". In 1990 the suffix NAC was dropped.

Saga entered the picture in 1995. This followed a disasterous world cruise at the beginning of '95. The cruise was cencelled after a serious fire on board. Following repairs the ship was chartered to a German operator as the GRIPSHOLM but was then sold to Saga following a grounding in the Baltic.

Saga did a mjor refit on the ship... their first ship in fact. First cruise was a world cruise.... stupid but brave! She came out of the shipyaerd and without any shakedown cruise, went off around the world. Ther were numerous 'issues' and the cruise was a bit of a disaster but they were able to get the ship running poperly within short time and she is not quite successful and much loved by her passengers. Saga continue to spend a lot of money on the ship to keep her running and up to date. They joke on board that the company spend so much on the ship that when she goes to the breakers in 2010 she will be in perfect condition!

Anyhow, I'm just happy this morning and thinking very much of Saga Rose because I receieved final confirmation of my 7th March 2007 sailing .... Sydney to Barcelona.

Stephen

Thanks in advance

Interesting timing. I sailed Holland America for the first time last year and just got back from the one week Dec 2 sailing of the QM2. Thus I think I can compare the two at this time. Never have done Celebrity so cannot comment on that line.

Food - Cunard wins on this one. I know HAL sometimes gets criticized in some quarters for serving bland food but I am not a eater of exotic foods so HAL more than satisfied me. However, the quality of the food on the QM2 was just a bit much better.

I'll leave the discussion in regards to the main dining room as I think the opposite was true in comparing HAL's informal Lido deck to the King's Court on the QM2. I'm not a big fan of Lido style dining so have not spent a lot of time in either.

Cabins - Best beds belong on HAL but both lines are rather equal in terms of cabin size and quality of decor. I must admit the QM2 had slightly larger closet space than the Vista class ships on HAL. On the Oosterdam, you could barely close the closet door when you have a shirt (folded) on the shelf which I think is a bit too tight. Overall I would say Cunard and HAL are equals.

Service - it depends. I had a fantastic experience with my cabin steward on HAL the last time which did not quite match the cabin steward service on the QM2 but I cannot say I received poor service either. A traveller on the QM2 that I know raved about her fantastic cabin steward so I really think this area comes down to the individual you get.

I felt the dining room service on both lines about equal.

I had shoddy bar service on HAL unlike everyone else who seems to think the service is out of this world. I felt it was better on the QM2 even if it was somewhat slow at times.

While there was some things I would say I liked about one better than the other I probably would say Cunard and Holland America are pretty much similar in my books. Its strictly a personal opinion.

Where the QM2 really wins is with its overall decor in public spaces- understated elegance giving coziness to a ship that is truly a behemoth - and its ocean liner abilities of stability in rough seas and speed. No cruise ships on Earth can beat her on what makes her a true ocean liner and not a cruise ship.

David

Captain Card, what is SOLAS, and why does it condemn Saga Rose to the breakers in 2010? There have been discussions already about the breakers; the mere thought of it/them brings a lump in my throat -- like the picture of Norway/France in the latest Cruise Travel magazine.

BTW, your books on HAL and Cunard are in their shipping box under our tree. I can't wait to open the box and dive right in. Richard is glad that he didn't have to do any shopping for me this year.

Mrs Muir (Linda)

Captain Card, what is SOLAS, and why does it condemn Saga Rose to the breakers in 2010? There have been discussions already about the breakers; the mere thought of it/them brings a lump in my throat -- like the picture of Norway/France in the latest Cruise Travel magazine.

BTW, your books on HAL and Cunard are in their shipping box under our tree. I can't wait to open the box and dive right in. Richard is glad that he didn't have to do any shopping for me this year.

Mrs Muir (Linda)

Dear Linda,

SOLAS.... Safety Of Life At Sea. In 2010 some new regulations come into force and basically.... and rather simplified... some of the older ships like SAGA ROSE, QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 will not be able to meet the new codes. These are, more or less, a complete ban on any wood used in the construction of the ship. Now it is possible to remove the wood or otherwise treat it to make it safe but when a ship is over 40 years old it is not really cost effective. There is some talk about QE2 being rebuilt to go past 2010. Would be nice if they do but I kind of doubt it.

Well, two books for Christmas! Excellent! I wish you and Richard a very Happy Christmas... and happy cruising for the New Year!

Stephen

Oops! It is Leif Hoegh not Leig!!!!

Stephen[/qu We still have ash trays from our veranda cabin on the Sun Deck that commemorate that cruise to Alaska. They have the dates atc. and the itenerary lined in blue with a star at each stop....Now I have to dig them out and see that they say NAC on them and not NAL as I thought. Rob...LOL:)

Interesting timing. I sailed Holland America for the first time last year and just got back from the one week Dec 2 sailing of the QM2. Thus I think I can compare the two at this time. Never have done Celebrity so cannot comment on that line.

Food - Cunard wins on this one. I know HAL sometimes gets criticized in some quarters for serving bland food but I am not a eater of exotic foods so HAL more than satisfied me. However, the quality of the food on the QM2 was just a bit much better.

I'll leave the discussion in regards to the main dining room as I think the opposite was true in comparing HAL's informal Lido deck to the King's Court on the QM2. I'm not a big fan of Lido style dining so have not spent a lot of time in either.

Cabins - Best beds belong on HAL but both lines are rather equal in terms of cabin size and quality of decor. I must admit the QM2 had slightly larger closet space than the Vista class ships on HAL. On the Oosterdam, you could barely close the closet door when you have a shirt (folded) on the shelf which I think is a bit too tight. Overall I would say Cunard and HAL are equals....But then, that is just the opinion of an old codger with way too much time on his hands!...No cruise until January aboard Silver Shadow...darn...

Service - it depends. I had a fantastic experience with my cabin steward on HAL the last time which did not quite match the cabin steward service on the QM2 but I cannot say I received poor service either. A traveller on the QM2 that I know raved about her fantastic cabin steward so I really think this area comes down to the individual you get.

I felt the dining room service on both lines about equal.

I had shoddy bar service on HAL unlike everyone else who seems to think the service is out of this world. I felt it was better on the QM2 even if it was somewhat slow at times.

While there was some things I would say I liked about one better than the other I probably would say Cunard and Holland America are pretty much similar in my books. Its strictly a personal opinion.

Where the QM2 really wins is with its overall decor in public spaces- understated elegance giving coziness to a ship that is truly a behemoth - and its ocean liner abilities of stability in rough seas and speed. No cruise ships on Earth can beat her on what makes her a true ocean liner and not a cruise ship.

David

Rolled terry cloth hand towels in all restrooms aboard HAL vs. brown paper towels on QM2...An abundance of fresh flowers through out on HAL [there is a florist on board]...The superior art work that has always been a hall mark of the Dutch vessels....The comfortable lido with a real ice cream station with a live steward vs. the zoo aboard the QM2 and the self serve soft ice cream stations...I will never sail on the QM2 again....Not when Regent, Oceana, Silver Seas and HAL are still available....But then that is just the opinion of an old codger with way too much time on his hands..!...LOL:cool:

Oops! It is Leif Hoegh not Leig!!!!

Stephen[/qu We still have ash trays from our veranda cabin on the Sun Deck that commemorate that cruise to Alaska. They have the dates atc. and the itenerary lined in blue with a star at each stop....Now I have to dig them out and see that they say NAC on them and not NAL as I thought. Rob...LOL:)

They were small white china Rosenthal ash try or pin trays given out to the passanegrs on every voyage. Very collectable and they certainly make a nice souvenir of the cruise.

Did you ever get one of the NAL or NAC tote bags? They were vinyl with string top pull and done in the old NAL funnel colours... yellow with blue, red and white stripes. I have one... in mint condition... picked it op one EBAY a few years ago.

Stephen

Archived