Anyone know what a 77W is?

QueenofScreen

Yes these are new aircraft, the 777. Sorry, but their seating will be 3-3-3. There was intense lobbying on a frequent flier board to get Air Canada to adopt 2-5-2 seating, but it was apparently decided that the convenience of the 120 or so in the outside banks or 2 were outweighed by the 30 or so people in the middle of the 5 bank LOL. Of course, with 3-3-3, there is twice as many people stuck 2 seats away from the aisle as 2-5-2, but that didn't matter I guess LOL.

You might call and see if the rear rows of economy have 2-3-2 as some other airlines do, where the fuselage curves in, but I haven't heard that this is the case on AC, unfortunately.

Here's part of a post I overlooked on flyertalk.com which has the seating configuration for the new aircraft. There appears to be 4 rows of 2-3-2. Rows 18 and 25 are reserved for status-level frequent fliers, although they can be assigned at check-in. Rows 62 and 63 are open for assigned seating, but beware of 63 since many back rows don't recline.

777-300ER

Configuration

Executive First:

Row 1-11 (A-DG-K) no 7A/7K

Economy:

Row 18 (2-3-2 / AB-DEG-JK)

Row 19-24 (3-3-3 / ABC-DEG-HJK)

Row 25 (2-3-2 / AB-DEG-JK)

Row 30 (0-3-0 / DEG)

Row 31-43 (3-3-3 / ABC-DEG-HJK)

Row 50-61 (3-3-3 / ABC-DEG-HJK)

Row 62-63 (2-3-2 / AB-DEG-JK)

Row 18-25 is marked as "premium section" for frequent flyers

(similar to the front rows in Economy of their current fleet, which does not necessarily mean more legroom)

The Emirates aircraft aren't a good comparison, since they are packing in 3-4-3 in coach, and this link you provided is a 3 class aircraft, where Air Canada will be 2 class. The Emirates 2 class is more of a domestic configuration, with 2-3-2 business class. Even the 3-class plane with the beds is 2-2-2, while Air Canada is going with 1-2-1.

Queeen, when is it you are flying? The preliminary schedule I have seen doesn't show the 777 going to Rome, only London and Frankfurt, but that doesn't mean they haven't changed things. Are you connecting in Europe? Have you tried tog et on the non-stop flight from Toronto?

One more thing to check out. When a new type of aircraft is being used make sure to check you seat assignments. If you were on a 767 going to a 777 somewhere along the line someone got transferred into business class with a economy seat. This has happened to me more than once and I appricate the wider seat and use of real plates. Tim

flight 857 -LHR to YYZ- June 22 AC :)

It was a 2-4-2 configuration on a different plane, now listed (if using Travelocity / Expedia) as 77W. I've been watching this flight closely, and am ticked that we paid extra to secure the seats we wanted and now.......

One more thing to check out. When a new type of aircraft is being used make sure to check you seat assignments. If you were on a 767 going to a 777 somewhere along the line someone got transferred into business class with a economy seat. This has happened to me more than once and I appricate the wider seat and use of real plates. Tim

Please say it's so!!!!!! but my luck.............. nada:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

New planes being rolled out.... despite paying extra to confirm specific seats, we are the losers. Airline automatically moved our seats all the way to the back of this plane (and it is a huge plane). There were some 2 seat configurations but we were not assigned them. Ticks me off as we booked these seats months ago for a June 07 flight! Hopefully no one will book the third seat, and we'll be the winners:D with extra room. (always a dreamer)

You should ask for a refund on the seat assignment charge. Explain that it's not your fault they swapped equipment and that the new assignment isn't even close in relation to where your seats were on the other plane. May work, may not but no harm in asking. And again, did you try to get on the non-stop to Rome instead?

Archived