Getting Ready to Finalize

taxjam

I am getting ready to finalize, i.e., pay for some things, and have some open questions:

1. Seward: we disembark in Seward AM and are going to do the Renown Fjord Cruise at 1130 AM. We have some choices:

a. We can get the 6PM train to Anchorage (Renown says it won't be a problem).

b. We can stay in Seward overnight and take either the bus (1030AM) or the train (6PM) the next day to Anchorage?

Question - which should we pick? Is there enough to do in Seward to spend a second day? Which is better the train or the bus?

2. Denali (these have probably been answered but I just want to confirm):

a. Can we drive into the park to the visitor center to catch the shuttle bus?

b. Is the road paved?

c. Based on BQ's advice, we were planning on taking the shuttle bus 2 days - I understand we can get a third day free - does it make sense to take the shuttle bus for 3 trips or is that overdoing it?

3. There don't seem to be great hotel options in Denali? Should I just stop agonizing over the choice (either expensive for what you get or miles away or rustic) and just book something?

Seward offers several highlights... the KNFP tour, the SeaLife Center, and Exit Glacier are the main ones. One or the other of the latter could be worked in for the day of disembarkation if time is a concern, prior to your KNFP tour. However, if you have the time to enjoy a bit more relaxing pace, I'm sure you could easily find plenty to do in Seward for a second day prior to catching the train.

I'd definitely opt for train over shuttle. The AKRR is a fabulous transfer!

You can drive to the visitor center in DNP, no problem. I'm not sure I'd want to shuttle 3 days straight into the park; those 8+ hours on a shuttle bus do make for a long day, but that's my personal opinion.:) Perhaps your timing would allow you to enjoy staying deep within the park at Kantishna lodging rather than shuttle for 3 days??? With enough time, that'd be my choice!

Something to look at:

http://www.kantishnaroadhouse.com/home.htm

I suggest you wait and book everything once firm. You will have difficulty changing segments, if you change your mind. Get your whole itinerary and routing in place- then book.

As for your questions. Plenty to see and do in Seward- request their visitor guide http://www.sewardak.org and definately worth an overnight. There is also Seavey's Sled dogs, Godwin's helicopters, fishing. etc. By far- a bus would be my last choice for a Seward/Anchorage transfer. I would get a car rental before a bus.

You can drive the first 16 miles into Denali Park the access center is about mile 1, visitor center about mile 2. It is a good suggestion to consider an overnight in Kantishna. But only you can decide if you want 3 shuttle buses into Denali Park, it is a LOT.

As for Denali Park area lodging. You have the wrong idea on "miles away" Healy offers plenty of options and is a quick drive to the National Park entrance. 2 lane road that moves along. For a bargain I have always liked the Denali Park Motel. Touch of Wilderness is my top B&B pick. Yes, I guess, I would just book somthing. :)

Archived