"Live from the Freedom- not!" UPDATE!!!

It does sound like you are being compensated well for the shortened cruise. I was scheduled to sail on Enchantment last year when Wilma hit and we were not offered anything compared to what you are receiving. Enjoy Miami. I was just there 2 weeks ago. What a great spot to be "stuck in".

My only NCL cruise was last June to Alaska. They did have the sanitizing stations where you boarded and at all restaurant entrances, and there were crew members stationed at each one to be sure you used them. We did not, however, get rubbed down or sprayed!:eek: I hope that was just an exaggeration.

Royal Caribbean is doing such a fantastic job with this situation and yet it brings to mind all the times when nothing is offered to Noro victims or other problems on board a ship. I wonder why this time is different and they are really stepping up to the plate. Do you think there is a magic number of passengers that must be sick and then you get the great package offered. Another poster said he thought 1000 people or more were sick on their sailing and nothing was offered. It just seems so inconsistent! I am really happy that they are acting in such a professional manner this time and hope they do so in the future. I sure would like to be a fly on the wall in the RCI corporate boardroom talking about all this stuff. It would be so interesting. E-Beth

divaofdisney,

You sure sound upbeat and making the best of the situation. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise and future cruise. I think RCCL is being very fair under the circumstances. Just curious, do you think this is more prevalent during flu season? We normally cruise during the summer and don't remember if this was a concern then. I would like to think that my husband and kids would be as positive in the situation as you are--we took our elderly parents in July on Freedom and I shudder to think of how they would have handled this! Keep us posted and good luck tomorrow.

What a terrible disappointment, I've been counting down the days and I'm still not going until March.

I hope the short cruise is lots of fun and the 50% cruise next time is great as well. RCCL certainly seems to be very accomodating. Being a relatively new cruiser I'm surprised to hear companies don't always respond this way.

Perhaps the fact the Freedom is their newest baby, they want to quash any more bad press than is necessary.

Again, all the best to current cruisers and have fun! Be sure to use up that $250 credit!!!!

Kim

as previous poster stated there were many people on the November 26 sailing that was sick including my husband ad myself. I went to the doctor but he couldn't make it down there. He was throwing up and in the bathroom. If you got a letter stating you had been confined to your stateroom you will receive a pro-rated amount for future cruise. But like so many that didn't go to the doctor they will receive nothing. Which in my opinion is not right. There have been reports that people had to go to the hospital when they got home. The 26th of November was the worst out break of the virus and no comp.

Ok here's an UPDATE for everyone- The Freedom will be sailing tomorrow!!!!!!! We were just handed an update that reads:

Cleaning and sanitizing onboard the Freedom is proceeding as we continue to work in close coordination with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

You will see some of our stepped-up procedures throughout your sailing. Again, all of these efforts while docked in Miami and while sailing on your cruise are being done in cooperation with the CDC In addition to the increased sanitation activities you will notice other changes in our procedures for example being served by our personnel in the Windjammer our casual dining restaurant which is normally served buffet.

Or staff will continue to man hospitality desks at each hotel and will remain at those desks from 7am to 9pm today and tomorrow to assist anyone with any concerns or questions. Our special dial in help desk is also available 24hrs a day.

Again we sincerely apologize for the unexpected alteration to your vacation plans and we appreciate your understanding of these unusual circumstances. We will continue to do everything we can to assist you.

Sincerely

Royal Caribbean International

So, all in all- everything is being handled very well. Looking very forward to tomorrow and hopefully my next couple posts will be from the ship.

I live overlooking the port of Miami...Freedom is at the very end of the piers - I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

I have a question...

I sail on many cruise lines EXCEPT Royal Caribbean...for those who sail on RCI, are there hand sanitizers EVERYWHERE?...

For example when you board an NCL ship, you are rubbed down and sprayed with rubbing alchohol - there are mandatory hand sanitizers in each and every buffet line, at stairwells, in the bathrooms, etc. and when you come back on board from shore, you are again "desanitized".

This virus is prevalent on land and essentially carries itself on board - so tell me please what RCI does to prevent the "spread" of the bacteria. NOTE*** NCL has NOT had an event regarding this problem, so what is RCI (not) doing?

Actually, NCL has had multiple incidents, this year alone.

I don't think that any cruiseline is immune to this happening.

I am very pleased to hear how RCCL is handling the situation.

What an interesting thing to do.........switch to the Explorer. I'm amazed that there was a cabin. What kind did you have on the Freedom, and what on the Explorer? How did RCCL work the whole thing? I'm fascinated!

We had a JS on Freedom and same on EX. We are supposed to get a credit for the difference in the cost for the ships. It's not all settled yet. They are telling us we will need to contact headquarters when we get back

I know there were 45 B2B and I only saw about 10 waiting to get on at the same time we were. I don't know what happened to the others.

Our friend who is in the environmental clean up business....His company cleaned up buildings near the WTC after 9/11 and also buildings tainted with Anthrax in other cities told us that this virus on the ships is present in the A/C systems and they must be cleaned thoroughly. Wiping down hand railings, etc. and wearing gloves by the food handlers in not enough.

Ok here's an UPDATE for everyone- The Freedom will be sailing tomorrow!!!!!!! We were just handed an update that reads:

Cleaning and sanitizing onboard the Freedom is proceeding as we continue to work in close coordination with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

You will see some of our stepped-up procedures throughout your sailing. Again, all of these efforts while docked in Miami and while sailing on your cruise are being done in cooperation with the CDC In addition to the increased sanitation activities you will notice other changes in our procedures for example being served by our personnel in the Windjammer our casual dining restaurant which is normally served buffet.

Or staff will continue to man hospitality desks at each hotel and will remain at those desks from 7am to 9pm today and tomorrow to assist anyone with any concerns or questions. Our special dial in help desk is also available 24hrs a day.

Again we sincerely apologize for the unexpected alteration to your vacation plans and we appreciate your understanding of these unusual circumstances. We will continue to do everything we can to assist you.

Sincerely

Royal Caribbean International

So, all in all- everything is being handled very well. Looking very forward to tomorrow and hopefully my next couple posts will be from the ship.

My dad is in Miami at the Embassy Suites! He does not have a rep and wasn't given anything at the port, no info at all. He's paying his own hotel, food, and is stuck without a car. He knows from his TA that the ship leaves tommorow but what should he do about his credits, etc.? How will he find out all of the details? Is there a number you can give me to pass onto him? His TA doesn't know as much info as I have found out from your posts.

Sher

My dad is in Miami at the Embassy Suites! He does not have a rep and wasn't given anything at the port, no info at all. He's paying his own hotel, food, and is stuck without a car. He knows from his TA that the ship leaves tommorow but what should he do about his credits, etc.? How will he find out all of the details? Is there a number you can give me to pass onto him? His TA doesn't know as much info as I have found out from your posts.

Sher

Sher, RC claims that they have someone from the company in every hotel where they have placed guests, but if your father is the exception, tell him to call RCI at 1-888-281-9344.

Sher, RC claims that they have someone from the company in every hotel where they have placed guests, but if your father is the exception, tell him to call RCI at 1-888-281-9344.

Thanks! I guess he's an exception because he never went into the port terminal. He was told as soon as he stepped of the shuttle and it pulled away that the cruise was cancelled. He called Embassy Suites and asked them to save his room and send the shuttle back for him. He never went far enough in the process for RCCL to take care of him.

Sher

I was on the Freedom from the 3rd to the 10th be thankful of them decideing to stay in port and clean the whole ship. The whole week they were spraying bleach on everything, but not cleaning it up which we all know what happens when you rub on wet bleach. At night they were walking to halls to the staterooms with a bug sprayer spraying everything down. The had alcohol sprayers at the entrance of every place you could eat and if they caught you not doing they would call you back to watch you clean your hands ( kudos to them for being proactive).

The otherside of things with them not cleaning up the bleach everything had a thick residue on it or watremarks all over it. From what we were all told by the captain there was a total of 81 people (guests and staff) that were sick this time around.

Otherwise we all had a blast on the cruise and can't wait to book another one.

Very interesting that RCCL has had significantly more outbreaks than any other line except HAL. Also if you look at the previous years

RCCL had:

9 in 2006 to date with 3 more weeks to go

4 in 2005

2 in 2004

1 in 2003

0 in 2002

It is very apparent that RCCL may not be training their staff well on the prevention of the Norovirus. I hope RCCL will step up and do better prevention activities such as keeping the Antibacterial lotion well stocked and possibly requiring the use of it upon entering the dining rooms. We leave in 6 days on the Rhapsody and will definately take my antibacterial gel for me and the kids.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!!

LW

Archived