Riots in Santiago after Augusto Pinochet's Death

cruzin4us

I've been watching the news regarding the death of Augusto Pinochet, and it appears they are rioting in Santiago. This concerns me since our cruise will be ending there in a couple of weeks.........any thoughts???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16146451/

I wouldn't worry about it at all. A large majority of the people are VERY happy that Pinochet is dead. There are bound to be clashes between those that loved Pinochet and those that hated him. After the funeral and all the pomp and circumstance, it will all be over.

Short uprisings in Chile, Ecudaor and Peru are almost a monthly fact of life. Last week, Peru Rail shut down the trains out of Cusco (other than Machu Pichu) due to a "strike" in Puno. The strike lasted about 6 hours. There was some fighting in the streets (rock throwing, tires set on fire). Mostly pushing and shoving from the cops. I was going to Puno last Wednesday. I stayed in Cusco. A companion went on to Puno. Said it was nasty getting from the airport in Juliaca to Puno, but the nastiness only lasted about 3 hours.

Don't worry, you will be fine.

Santiago besides being a beautiful city is usually a very safe city. I agree with the previous writer that by the time you get there most of the demonstrations will be over.

Marty

Just returned to NYC from BA and Santiago

Archived