Alaska with Carnival which Route?

Hogladyrider

We are die hard Carnival fans! Looking to cruise Alaska with Carnival possibly in 2008.

Currently Carnival offers 3 routes....northbound, southbound and Glacier Bay.

I did some research on the destination boards but couldn't find too many opinions on the Carnival itineries.

Which route would you choose?

Since this would be our first cruise where we would have to fly to cruise, and from what I've read, I am leaning towards the Glacier Bay itinery which is a roundtrip cruise beginning and ending in Vancover; but I'd really like some other opinions.

We would only be doing the cruise, no added land vacation.

Oh thank heavens for cruise critic boards! Let me have it I'm ready.....Susan:)

I would post your question under ports of call, Alaska. From what I've read there, and what I'm planning, I'd go Glacier Bay. If you choose one of the other routes, take a shore excursion to see the glaciers.

The other advantage to Glacier bay is sailing roundtrip from Vancouver. Should save you on airfare.

We have cruised the Carnival Spirit round trip from Vancouver. We did this because round trip airfare was less than 2 one way airfares. We flew into Seattle, spent a few days and took Amtrak to Vancouver. We then took Carnival's shuttle back to Seattle. Seattle airfare is usually lower than Vancouver. The Glacier Bay round trip is the only one that goes to Glacier Bay and it is exquisite! Our 2nd Alaska cruise was round trip out of Seattle on Holland America. We MUCH prefer both Carnival and the sailing out of Vancouver.

Sorry I can't give any advice on the one way routes.

The Glacier Bay would be my last choice. I thnk the one-way trips let you see much more of the state.

We did the Carnivial northbound from Vancouver to Seward. From there we took the bus to Anchorage where we rented an RV and drove up to Denali and Fairbanks and then down along the Aleyeska Pipeline back to Anchorage. We then flew home from Anchorage.

This approach seemed preferable to visiting Alaska first and then getting on the shop for the trip home.

You have longer times in port (especially Juneau) with the one-way cruises, plus you go to Sitka. On the other hand, the roundtrips go to Glacier Bay rather than College Fjord. Are you able to cruise in May or September, which is when the roundtrips with Glacier Bay are offered?

Since you like Carnival and you are leaning towards the roundtrip from Vancouver, I think you'll be happy with your choice.

We did the Carnivial northbound from Vancouver to Seward. From there we took the bus to Anchorage where we rented an RV and drove up to Denali and Fairbanks and then down along the Aleyeska Pipeline back to Anchorage. We then flew home from Anchorage.

This approach seemed preferable to visiting Alaska first and then getting on the shop for the trip home.

How long was your land trip? For a long time I planned to do that drive with a rental car, but recently scaled back my plans to concentrate on a smaller area of Alaska post-cruise.

We did the Carnival Southbound but started in Fairbanks. Our thoughts were since we were doing Alaska once go as far North as possible and see as much as possible. We stayed in Fairbanks 4 days before taking the McKinnley Express southbound to Denali. Fairbanks was one of our favorite parts of the trip. We then stayed in Denali one night and got back on the train to Anchorage. We absolutly LOVED the whole trip. Fairbanks was wonderful. We stayed at Rivers Edge Resort and loved it. They offered free transportation to many sites of interest throught Fairbanks. Our children were able to swim in the Chena River at 12 midnight since there are so many hours of daylight. We would have liked to stay longer in Denali and done more. When we planned the trip we figured we would only go once but we have all vowed to return. There is so much more to see and do. I hope to go even further north next trip.

We did the Carnival Southbound but started in Fairbanks. Our thoughts were since we were doing Alaska once go as far North as possible and see as much as possible. We stayed in Fairbanks 4 days before taking the McKinnley Express southbound to Denali. Fairbanks was one of our favorite parts of the trip. We then stayed in Denali one night and got back on the train to Anchorage. We absolutly LOVED the whole trip. Fairbanks was wonderful. We stayed at Rivers Edge Resort and loved it. They offered free transportation to many sites of interest throught Fairbanks. Our children were able to swim in the Chena River at 12 midnight since there are so many hours of daylight. We would have liked to stay longer in Denali and done more. When we planned the trip we figured we would only go once but we have all vowed to return. There is so much more to see and do. I hope to go even further north next trip.

That sounds like a great pre-cruise trip! I've already decided that our NEXT Alaska trip (after our first this June) will start in Fairbanks, do an Arctic Circle day trip, spend a few days in Denali, then either fly (if using FF miles) or drive to Anchorage before a southbound cruise out of Seward. We'll go in late summer and visit different ports and glaciers than on our first cruise. (OK - we might go the opposite direction if the NB cruise has a better itinerary!)

We love Carnival also. I did a lot of research before deciding on the southbound.

At the time I was looking I found this to be true at least from my area.

When looking a Glacier Bay (RT) while we would have enjoyed a lower airfare the cruise was more for this trip. So while the airfare might be more for a one way the cruise prices are lower - so they really are comparable. At least that is what i found and you will need to do a comparision from the area you are travling from. Ok that's the financial side.

Next I found the advantage to doing the one way is that you do get more ports - but you have to scarifice some glacier viewing. This MAY be our only trip to Alaska - so I wanted to visit as many ports as possible. Both the NB and SB do the same ports. On the NB you spend more time in Ketchikan then the SB - but you spend more time in Juneau on the SB then the NB - really not much of a difference.

Once I decided on a one-way I then looked at WHAT we wanted to accomplish. We wanted to do some land based activities and prefer to do these types of things prior to a cruise. Once we get off a cruise we want to get home. So although many on the boards have said you MUST do the Northbound because the scenery builds as you head north - we chose southbound so that we could take advantage of a few days before the cruise in Anchorage and Seward. These are my reasons but others (including you) will have their reasons for booking the way they did.

Susan, It just depends on what you plan to get out of the trip. You said you won't be spending any time pre or post cruise. I do suggest no matter which route you select that you at least fly in the day before. Too much planning (and money) to worry about missing the ship.

These boards are wonderful. Good luck planning your trip.

Once we get off a cruise we want to get home. So although many on the boards have said you MUST do the Northbound because the scenery builds as you head north - we chose southbound so that we could take advantage of a few days before the cruise in Anchorage and Seward.

While that's MY reason for doing a northbound cruise, I have seen many more here recommend the land trip first and then a southbound cruise. I think southbounds are a little more expensive for that very reason - they are more popular than northbounds.

Thanks everyone for all your input, great feedback here.

We definitely would fly in at least one if not two days ahead. We would be flying out of Orlando so it would be a long flight for us!

We can cruise anytime May or September or any other time for the one way cruises northbound or southbound. Everything I've read says Alaska cruising is about the scenery and that's what we are after. I'd like to fit as much in as I can while I still have my health and can travel.

I am not looking at this as a one time Alaska trip, more as a "get my feet wet trip", if we like we'd go back and do others.

Goals for our cruises are relax, enjoy ourselves, take lots of digital photos and see as many sights as we can. We do our own thing, and rarely book excusions thru the cruise lines.

A coworker cruised on Spirit this past August but other than viewing her photos she wasn't much help because all she was interested in was shopping, which isn't my cup of tea!

That is great info about flying in and out of Seattle! This flying to cruise is a whole new ball game for me, we usually just drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa or south Florida. We would definitely book our own airflight and we agree when the cruise is over we are ready to get home to our pets!

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated and welcome, please keep them coming.

We eventually would like to cruise in Europe but that is a little pricey for us right now and Alaska would be a step on the way to Europe.

Thanks again........Susan:p

How long was your land trip? For a long time I planned to do that drive with a rental car, but recently scaled back my plans to concentrate on a smaller area of Alaska post-cruise.

Our land trip was one week. I say this was our "sublime" to "ridiculous" vacation. One week with waiters, cabin attendants, etc. ...the second week picking up after ourselves and scrounging meals...

But for both weeks we didn't have to pack every morning!

One problem I see with our trip with a Rental Car is that motels and b&b's are few and far between. You had better make plans ahead of time. There are long streteches between towns with nothing.

A "must have" is the book Milepost which describes EVERYTHING along the main routes.

Archived