Diving Jamaica

jtsocal

I've been to dive resorts at Grand Cayman and the Brac, Bonaire, Roatan, Cozumel, (Guantanamo :p ), Saba, the Keys ....

anyone know of one in Jamacia?

does that answer your question? ;) .... no resorts cuz there's no 'good' diving. You can get wet but don't hold your breath :eek:

I've dove in Ocho Rios. Little fish, not much coral growth to look at, quite plain in color, not clear. It was much better in Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Hawaii, Bay of Pigs in Cuba, etc.

There are many Beaches and Sandals resorts in Jamaica and elsewhere that include diving. But the diving in Jamaica is not very good. Someone did mention when he dove in Negril area it was pretty good.

Don't forget the Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica.

I've also heard that the diving in Negril is better than Ocho Rios. My only guess for this is that OR is over populated with tourists, while Negril is more secluded from the tourist factor (there's no airport or cruise ships docking in OR)....thus there's less damage to the reefs...

There is some pretty good diving in Jamaica - it just is nowhere near the cruise ship ports. Have been diving half-way between Mobay and OR and that area is relatively untouched. The Cayman Trench comes close to shore and there is lots of fish life and healthy corals, once you get below the depth where the locals sink their fish traps. I have seen large turtles, sharks, morays and most of the other common reef fish - and in pretty good numbers. Last summer we even discovered a large area of coral canyons that lead from near the shore out to the wall - with as much sea life as we saw anywhere in the carribean. You can drop over the edge of the wall and see huge colonies of lobsters.

The ocean in the area tends to be a little rougher and a north wind often cancels diving later in the day. Viz is probably a little lower than other areas because of run-off from the rains - 30-50 ft range.

Negril has calmer and very clear water, but the shallows have been damaged by local fisherman (and novice divers from the resorts offering Discover Scuba). Nice place to get wet, but nothing outstanding. Warm and easy dives with enough to see that it is still fun.

But if you are docking at Mobay or OR - you might have more fun on the canopy tour.

John:

I'm guessing your cruise ship isn't going anywhere near Negril :), but I thought I'd add my .02.

We dove off of Negril through our Beaches resort (which included scuba). Pros: Warm and clear. Cons: Not too many fish where we were; too many divers on the shallow dives.

I did snorkel with my son while there and actually saw a better range of marine life than when we dove. So maybe try the snorkeling?

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Archived