QE2: Tonga, Bangok and Fiji

bobby1119

Political unrest, rioting and a velvet revolution in Fiji, Tonga and Bangkok respectively raise questions about QE2's scheduled calls in those ports during the world cruise. Does anyone know about cancelled calls and/or substitutions?

Thanks,

Bobby

Bobby,

I suspect that they won't make that decision until very close to the actual stops. Things can change a lot in a week or two. Bangkok does not really seem to be an issue whatsoever. They are not fool enough to risk the good relationship they have and the tourist dollar over this, and it doesn't seem like it is a really bad siituation. Things seem pretty stable there. As for fiji and tonga? Well, they have unrest and riots in New York City sometimes. It all depends. Chances are, unless they are targetting tourists specifically (which has happened, don't get me wrong) it won't affect your stops. Still, it's a good idea to check the Treasury Department and State Department web sites for travel alerts. they are updated regularly. Try to educate yourself about the issues, and try to be aware of sensitivities if there is unrest going on at the time of docking. Giving people a chance to tell their side helps a lot, both in respecting that usually both sides have a certain point, even if they are trying to make it in a bad way. Often if you are sympathetic, or at least willing to listen with an open mind, people will call you their friend and try to keep you safe from harm or harassment. And who knows, maybe you will get new insight into a situation that may not be what it seems on the world stage. How much of the violence we have experienced in recent years might have been prevented or ameliorated if we were more open to the plight of others, and not just our own (collective) selfish interets? Who knows?

Wherever we go, and even with crew members of different nationalities (passengers, too!) I try to learn about their culture, their land, their hopes and dreams. We are all people, after all. I find a little understanding goes a long way in this world (unless, of course, you don't want to wear a tie to dinner. Thwn, you must walk the plank! <G>)

Karie, who is so jealous of you World cruisers, and who suspects Bobby will learn a LOT on this cruise, being a former academic.

Bobby,

I suspect that they won't make that decision until very close to the actual stops. Things can change a lot in a week or two. Bangkok does not really seem to be an issue whatsoever. They are not fool enough to risk the good relationship they have and the tourist dollar over this, and it doesn't seem like it is a really bad siituation. Things seem pretty stable there. As for fiji and tonga? Well, they have unrest and riots in New York City sometimes. It all depends. Chances are, unless they are targetting tourists specifically (which has happened, don't get me wrong) it won't affect your stops. Still, it's a good idea to check the Treasury Department and State Department web sites for travel alerts. they are updated regularly. Try to educate yourself about the issues, and try to be aware of sensitivities if there is unrest going on at the time of docking. Giving people a chance to tell their side helps a lot, both in respecting that usually both sides have a certain point, even if they are trying to make it in a bad way. Often if you are sympathetic, or at least willing to listen with an open mind, people will call you their friend and try to keep you safe from harm or harassment. And who knows, maybe you will get new insight into a situation that may not be what it seems on the world stage. How much of the violence we have experienced in recent years might have been prevented or ameliorated if we were more open to the plight of others, and not just our own (collective) selfish interets? Who knows?

Wherever we go, and even with crew members of different nationalities (passengers, too!) I try to learn about their culture, their land, their hopes and dreams. We are all people, after all. I find a little understanding goes a long way in this world (unless, of course, you don't want to wear a tie to dinner. Thwn, you must walk the plank! <G>)

Karie, who is so jealous of you World cruisers, and who suspects Bobby will learn a LOT on this cruise, being a former academic.

Karie, your posts are always so reasoned and thoughtful. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my comments, and I know that others here also appreciate your helpful responses as well. I share your sentiments regarding one's relationship with people of other cultures.

I, too, expect that I will learn alot during this epic voyage, perhaps more about myself and who I am, methinks, as I will about the cultures and the people of the places that I will visit. At my retirement party last Thursday, my dearest friend delivered a wonderful and moving speech about my career at the end of which she characterized my voyage alone on QE2 to distant lands as an act of faith requiring courage and a refusal to turn inward as I begin my retirement. How appropriate, I often think, that the title of the cruise is "Voyage of Discovery"!

Karie, I do hope that we will sail together one day aboard a great liner. I look forward to meeting you.

Be well,

Bobby,

who suspects he will always be an academic!

(the tag is a tribute to your signature style, of course)

Archived