What to do in Mexico? - Carnival Spirit

Catmomma

I am heading out on the Pride on 1/18 and I am a newbie to this part of Mexico. I am now looking at the excursions and they all seem very similar even though there are 3 stops. Any suggestions?

The first stop in Acapulco has a excursion to go to a sea turtle sanctuary. Anyone done that one? What do you think?

A little about us: 30 something couple, not uber adventurous but willing to try some things (atvs are too much to take on but willing to kayak for example). Heading down there to celebrate our birthdays. Not big drinkers and into eco tourism, hiking, photography.

Also in our three ports (Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanillo) is there anything of interest (and safe) walking distance from the ship?

My only previous experience with Mexico is Ensenada and honestly if this ship stopped there I would not even get off. I am hoping that these cities are different.

Hi,

We are hoping to see whales too.....not sure if they will be seen further south and not sure if we will see them as we pass Cabo as we don't know how far out from the coast we would be, but we sure will be on the lookout. It is my understanding that the best area to possibly see whales is from the aft of the ship and that they might follow the wake.....that is what WE are hoping anyway......

This is the first time we are going to those ports as well......I would agree, the country tours at especially Ixtapa/Zihua and Manzanillo look similar...We are taking the one in Manzanillo that is listed as "Jalisco Plantation..." but I wouldn't exactly call it an "eco tour", it is more of a cultural tour.....In Acapulco, there is a lagoon near Pie de La Cuesta that has boats that go up into the natural areas of the lagoon. The particular shore tour we are going on (Coyuca Lagoon and Cliff Divers) goes there but I don't know actually if we get to get on a tour boat there or not...it wasn't very clear from the info......BUT you might inquire in that area as to whether you could take a bus there and take a tour boat or canoe as that is supposed to be a pretty neat area especially if you are able to get into the more remote areas of the lagoon.....

By the way, we have a Roll Call for this cruise over on the roll call board if you are interested, but either way....hope you have a great time on the cruise.......only 37 more days :):)

the turtle sanctuary in acapulco was ok,, but not worth what the cruiseline charges.... they charged us 52 per person, and the place is free to get into, they take donations only,i didnt know this until after the fact... and its about 40 min from the pier,so you can take a taxi and save money, but then again,, the place is really run down,not clean,it was a nice experience, for our 6 year old,but i would never do it again,

and then they took us shopping in the ghetto....

you can see our pics of the place in acapulco,

heres the link http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555967401BpRTpu?start=48

page5 and 6is acapulco....

I am heading out on the Pride on 1/18 and I am a newbie to this part of Mexico. I am now looking at the excursions and they all seem very similar even though there are 3 stops. Any suggestions?

The first stop in Acapulco has a excursion to go to a sea turtle sanctuary. Anyone done that one? What do you think?

A little about us: 30 something couple, not uber adventurous but willing to try some things (atvs are too much to take on but willing to kayak for example). Heading down there to celebrate our birthdays. Not big drinkers and into eco tourism, hiking, photography.

Also in our three ports (Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanillo) is there anything of interest (and safe) walking distance from the ship?

My only previous experience with Mexico is Ensenada and honestly if this ship stopped there I would not even get off. I am hoping that these cities are different.

in ixtapa,take a water taxi from the pier to las gatas, nice beach,,,food , drinks, kayaks,snorkeling its beautiful,.ship chargesover 50 todo this ,we did it , under 30$ for 4 of us on our own,

in manzanillo , we took a cab to la audencia beach, which was nice,, waverunners,snorkeling,food shopping etc,

theres pics on my link in the other post of las gatas in ixtapa,

so worth going to ,verynice area...

any questions email me ,

happy holidays

melissa

Thanks so much for the info and the pictures. On cruises we always stick with booking our excursions through the cruisline. Yeah I know it costs more but I do it for the ease of having it taken care of and planned for me. I booked our stuff on line last week. Doing the colonial tour in Manzanillo, the turtle thing in Acapulco and I think we have a city tour in Zijua.

I am actually happily surprised a how cheap the excursions are in Mexico. All three for my husband and I was like $325. On our Hawaii cruises we would blow over $1k on a 7 day cruise just in excursions :)

This is a fabulous little city. The tender pier is right at the local fish market, and there is a nice flea market straight back from the pier (start at the back end for best prices). Las Gatas can be visited by water taxi ($3-4 p/p) and is a nice beach. 4 miles away is Ixtapa, and there is a way to reach Isla Ixtapa (also by water taxi) which some on our cruise raved about. Walk along the beach along they bay and you'll find some nice restaurants with very reasonable prices. Compared to what many described as "pushy" Acapulco, the local residents in Zihu seemed to embody a real warmth and friendliness. You could spend several hours just walking along the city and bay and not even need an excursion to have a fantastic time!

Archived