Anything near the docks?

Tricia724

We'll be in Martinique in February from 7am-2pm, and this is the last major port on our itinerary. We like to get off for a while at each port, but we might be burned out on sightseeing by the time we reach Martinique.

How far are we from town or a shopping area? Will we need to take a cab or is it within walking distance? The last time we were there we did a boat trip and went snorkeling, but that was right where we got off the ship, so we didn't have much time to look around.

Any ideas for spending a couple of hours in Martinique?

Best bet is to take a cab. You can walk it, but the cabs are the best way to downtown. But there really isn't much there though IMHO. Shops are expensive!! and no really cool tourist hangout spots. From what I hear the best bet is to take a cab to downtown where the boat excursions are. Then take a boat across the bay to the nice beaches. If I ever go back there (probably never will) that's what I would do.

That sounds like a nice plan, cruisermpaul. I liked seeing the town briefly, but it is just a big city and things are really expensive as you said. Prices are in Euros and the dollar is weak, plus the amount of Euros it took to buy anything seemed high to me.

And if we were to stop at Martinique for a port again, I wouldn't bother taking the ferry back to Pointe du Bout and Bakouk la plage again since we've been there/done that. It was an adventure and fun to just get out and go someplace, but I would love to see the best beaches in Martinique, as the ones we went to were not the best, I don't think. Unless you speak French, language is a problem in Martinique ~ I might take a ship's excursion the next time and let them take all the responsibility.

Amber, I don't know the answer but here is what Sun Princess handed out as a guide to Beaches:

Anse Corps de Garde - one of the island's best long stretches of white sandy, public beach. There are picnic tables, restrooms, sea grape trees and crowds particularly on weekends. Plenty of wandering food vendors but no chairs for rent.

Diamant Beach - the island's longest beach has a splendid view of Diamond Rock. The waters are very rough, there are shade trees and a hotel nearby for food and drinks.

I would think if you prepare a bag for the beach and talk with the taxi drivers when you disembark that you will be taken to a nice beach. Language is an issue, though, as most speak only French.

Archived