Istanbul Visa Question

For those who have started a cruise in Istanbul . . .

Do you only need a visa for single entry to Turkey, or multiple entry? Is it needed only to enter at the airport (single), or is a multiple necessary for also getting off the ship on day 2 while in port in Istanbul then again when the ship stops at Izmar on day 3? The NCL rep I talked to on the phone wasn't sure. :confused:

Thanks in advance! :)

Do you only need a visa for single entry to Turkey, or multiple entry? Is it needed only to enter at the airport (single), or is a multiple necessary for also getting off the ship on day 2 while in port in Istanbul then again when the ship stops at Izmar on day 3? The NCL rep I talked to on the phone wasn't sure. :confused:

You'll only need a visa for your single "entry" into Turkey via air. You won't need a visa to exit the ship for one-day shore excursions. If you search back through these posts, we discussed various ways of obtaining a Turkish visa - the easiest and least expensive way is to get one at Turkish Customs as you deplane.

Come to think of it, I don't think our passports were ever inspected while disembarking from our ship!

Maybe other passengers can let us know whether their passports were stamped when disembarking at Kusadasi, Izmir, or elsewhere?

The ship has you passport and clears customs with the local authorities, often while you are still asleep. They do not necessarily stamp your passport. If you enter a European Economic Community country, they won't stamp it again until you leave, no matter how many countries in the community you visit. I would like to have the stamps but it is not up to me.

Fran

Getting a visa at Ataturk airport is simple. Get on the visa line, pay $20 (US citizens....have exact change), take your stamped passport to the separate customs control line. Should not take more than 10-15 minutes to get your visa, maybe less. The visa you receive is good for 90 days no matter how many entries you make on your cruise. I believe your ship will collect your passports but you will not need a multiple entry visa so do not get one. Also, it really is not necessary to get your visa in advance by mailing your passport to the Turkish consulate. Costs more and it is really is easy to get it done once you land.

I found Ataturk airport very efficient. We were out and in the taxi in less than 40 minutes. If you are headed to a hotel in Sultanahmet make sure the hotel provides specific directions. Enjoy Istanbul!

Marty

Thanks for the info all. :)

I have heard from others who said they waited in "long" lines at the airport. It is just as easy for me to stop in the Turk Consulate in the City where I live and avoid any airport issues. The on-line form to fill out asked if you wanted a single entry or multiple entry, so I wasn't sure.

As long as we are on the Turkey subject, do the taxis take Euros, or just TNL? If Lira, what is the best way to get that currency (ATM?), or exchange at airport?

Hi again....

You DO NOT need a multiple entry visa. The consulate will probably keep your passport and mail it back....why bother. The airport visa line goes VERY fast. They merely take the $20 and stamp your passport....no questions asked. It took us less than 5 minutes. The customs control line is another story and that takes longer....NOT the visa line.

We got some TRY at American Express before we went. Used for the taxi + luggage cart + dinner the first night. Taxis do not take Euros for the most part. Some hotels will pay for transfers...ours did (Sari Konak).We were in Istanbul for 5 nights and used ATM's w/o any problem. I almost never use my credit card in Europe...only ATM's. Also many hotels discount 10% for cash payments in any denominations. We paid in TRY cash.

Marty

We were on the 11/20 Galaxy sailing. All the passengers received landing cards for Istanbul whether you were on a shore excursion with the ship or not and you had to carry it on you. The information on it is pretty basic, name, cabin number, ship, etc. very easy to fill out. Before we sailed for Kusadasi Celebrity had to collect all the landing cards. Landing cards are only needed for Istanbul, no landing card is needed in Kusadasi or any other Turkish city.

Hope this helps,

Eileen

I found Ataturk airport very efficient. We were out and in the taxi in less than 40 minutes. If you are headed to a hotel in Sultanahmet make sure the hotel provides specific directions. Enjoy Istanbul!

Marty, what hotel did you stay at in Sultanahmet? And how did you like it?

Hi Duff Man,

We stayed at the Sari Konak in Sultanahmet and we enjoyed it. You can read my review + many others on http://www.tripadvisor.com (search Istanbul).

Sultanahmet puts you within walking of most of the main sites but there is virtually no "nightlife" except many restaurants. The Sari Konak was average, nothing superior BUT the people who own and run it are FANTASTIC! Made you feel like family...we would stay there again.

Read reviews on trip advisor and see what others say about this and many others in Istanbul. If you prefer "nightlife" you might want to stay in Taksim on the other side of the Galata Bridge.

How many days are you staying in Istanbul?

Marty

Archived