1st time out of Mobile.....helpful hints wanted!!!!

marshabear

just booked a 5 nighter out of Mobile on the Holiday yesterday!!

i am clueless about this port and ship....

we will need to fly to the port from either PITor CLE ...

fares are very high for this week...feb12-17th....i know, it's presidents week, right??)

any suggestions?????

looking forward to sailing and getting out of the COLD weather for 5 days!!

thanks for all your help!!

Marsha

My wife just booked a 4 day cruise 1/11/07 out of Mobile on the Carnival Holiday. I've never cruised out of Mobile. We'll be driving down from Atlanta. If anyone has any tips or comments on directions once we get into Mobile, or embarktion gotchas, please pass them along.

Thanks, Mike

You are coming in the middle of Mardi Gras in Mobile and that draws in a lot of people. Mardi Gras is very big here. I have posted a link of parades that are downtown. If you come a day early or stay a day later you can see a parade. The new cruise terminal is in downtown also within a couple blocks of parade route. Hotels in downtown will be more expensive at that time. You can stay along the I-65/ mall area for less. Some may have a van to take you to the terminal. Airfare is also higher in and out of Mobile than Pensacola usually.

We went on a cruise 2 years ago and you can board around 11 am.

http://www.mobile.org/ab_mardigras_sched.php

HI Mike, I live in Cumming also but used to live in Mobile. We are going on Holiday next week and I will be glad to share any info also with you. I do know that you take I-85 to Montgomery, then I-65 to Mobile from Montgomery then take I- 165 to Downtown Mobile that exits onto Water Street to the terminal. It is my understanding that you pay for parking (10-12 per day) in advance. If you are arriving a day early I recommend the Raddison Admiral Semmes (about 5 blocks from the terminal) as they have a cruise special allowing you to park your car there with transportation to and from the ship. Scott

HI Mike, I live in Cumming also but used to live in Mobile. We are going on Holiday next week and I will be glad to share any info also with you. I do know that you take I-85 to Montgomery, then I-65 to Mobile from Montgomery then take I- 165 to Downtown Mobile that exits onto Water Street to the terminal. It is my understanding that you pay for parking (10-12 per day) in advance. If you are arriving a day early I recommend the Raddison Admiral Semmes (about 5 blocks from the terminal) as they have a cruise special allowing you to park your car there with transportation to and from the ship. Scott

Those driving directions are fine for anyone familiar with downtown Mobile, but for anyone else, I would not take I 165 to Water St., especially during Mardi Gras! From the north, take I65 all the way to I10 and go east. Take the Canal St exit and turn right and you will be in the line to enter the cruise terminal and parking garage. You will be able to see the ship before you get to the Canal St exit. Happy cruising!

i have noticed the lower rates to Gulfport too....

i suppose we could then rent a car, but where to return it to?? and how to get to the ship????

we will probably fly in the day before as the weather here in Ohio can be bad in Feb...don't want to take a chance on missing the ship due to flight problems....

Marsha

We are cruising on the Holiday during the week of 1/15/07. We are staying at the Admiral Semmes the night of the 14th. It is my understanding that parking and shuttle to the terminal is included in their regular room rate. I have also read that parking and shuttle can be purchased from them for about $25 for the week.

The directions above are accurate. If you get to Mobile early there are a number of interesting points to visit, even this time of year. GOOGLE Mobile and you will be pleasantly surprised.

David

Archived