NCL Credit card

budfred

Just remember you will now be talking to someone from Bank of America. They bought out MBNA a few months back. I didn't have any problems in getting my vouchers from them. Beware that the envelopes that they arrive in the mail look like ads for new credit cards. So open all you mail from BAC......:)

We had this card and when we wanted to redeem the points all that was offered was a cheesy upgrade that I could have gotten from my travel agent regardless. Needless to say we gave the card the heave ho and switched to a cash back card with another bank.

We had this card and when we wanted to redeem the points all that was offered was a cheesy upgrade that I could have gotten from my travel agent regardless. Needless to say we gave the card the heave ho and switched to a cash back card with another bank.

The cash back cards have the same rebate formulas, 3% of your purchases, as the Latitudes card. The Latitudes card has the added advantage of an additional 1% on NCL purchases.

Yes, the lower level (less than 500 points) are indeed worthless upgrades. But, after 500 points it turns into real money. We have had our card since 1996 and have saved over $20,000.00 on our cruises. With he buyout by CitiBank (?) and subsequent reduction in accrual benefits we have gotten a second card so we do not max out every year.

PE

what is the maximum amount you can accumulate on the NCL card per year?

I believe it's a maximum of 250 points per month, and 1000 per year. We have 3 personal cards and 1 that I use for business....and I rotate their use so we don't miss out on any points.

I used $2000 in rewards vouchers for our Feb. '07 cruise.:)

We are using our 1000 points on the Dream out of Houston this year..

The upgraded inside cabin... (ha ha) was $495 each..

So the points paid for the Cabin..

Not bad for a 7 day cruise..

Needless to say by the time we are done we will spend a bunch on excursions ect...

But we use the one card for everything during the year...

Food, gas, just where ever we can..

Pay it off each month and use the points at the end of year....

We really enjoy NCL so it is a great deal..

We have this card and have gotten over $4000 off two cruises in 3 years (we have 2 cards). The upgrades are only when you do not have enough points to equal a $500 certificate for cash off.

We have this card and have gotten over $4000 off two cruises in 3 years (we have 2 cards). The upgrades are only when you do not have enough points to equal a $500 certificate for cash off.

Agree with this poster and then some. Though the big spenders are getting nice $$ off a cruise, there is a SERIOUS downside as compared to cash back cards, or something more generic like AMEX Rewards.

You are FORCED to use your points for one cruiseline. Can not try anyone else, etc. etc. Loved NCL on lst trip, but maybe not forever.

Agree with this poster and then some. Though the big spenders are getting nice $$ off a cruise, there is a SERIOUS downside as compared to cash back cards, or something more generic like AMEX Rewards.

You are FORCED to use your points for one cruiseline. Can not try anyone else, etc. etc. Loved NCL on lst trip, but maybe not forever.

This is true that you are trapped to one cruise line and I used to feel this way also. Before Star Cruises bought NCL, you were really trapped by the card to a cruise line with dull, boring, aging ships. Now, however, I feel differently as Star is producing new ships every year and phasing out the older ones.

Freestyle, beautiful new ships....I'm not interested in the other lines anymore.

You are never FORCED to do anything except maybe pay taxes. We have two cards that have ALLOWED us to save a lot of money on our NCL sailings. But, that does not FORCE us to only sail NCL. We are booked on RCI for a cruise in April and have done 6 or 7 other (not NCL) cruises in the past. We choose to use our credit card rebates for NCL cruises. I believe most "cash back" cards have there own difficulties.

If you know of any card that gives anything more than a 3% (NCL gives 4% on NCL purchases) let us know what it is so us "big spenders" can do a SERIOUS evaluation.

PE

I have a GM Card that gives 5% back on any GM vehicle, capped at $500 a year. But you are "locked" into buying a GM product.

I have an American Express Blue that pays 5% cash back on "everyday purchases (Gas, Groceries and stores like Rite-Aid and CVS).

And my favorite, the NCL card. Drawback, locked into a cruise on NCL, but for $1000 - $2500 off, I can handle that every other year :)

One question, the NCL card is the only one I pay a yearly fee on. Do others have to pay a fee or are the ripping me off?

One question, the NCL card is the only one I pay a yearly fee on. Do others have to pay a fee or are the ripping me off?
I have 3 NCL cards, and don't pay an annual fee on any of them. You may want to check into that, as it's supposed to be a $0 annual fee card.

I have 3 NCL cards, and don't pay an annual fee on any of them. You may want to check into that, as it's supposed to be a $0 annual fee card.

Same here (but only one card).

rufusrex

If you're paying an annual fee, it must be a different card than what the rest of us are speaking of???

garycarla

If you saw my tax returns, you'd agree that I'm not a big spender (can't be since I'm not a big earner), but we've save anywhere from $500-$1500 from each of our last 3 cruises. Makes it reasonable enough for us that I don't mind being "locked into" NCL. Good variety of ships, itineraries & we love freestyle. (and we still, occasionally cruise another line if the price/timing/itinerary work for us)

-Monte

Same here (but only one card).

rufusrex-If you're paying an annual fee, it must be a different card than what the rest of us are speaking of???

-Monte

I believe it's the same card, it was assued by MBNA, and has recently changed to Bank Of America? It pays 3% back on purchases, and 4% on NCL towards a future cruise. Blue card with a picture of a ship? I'm gonna call them and ask for them to stop billing me annually. I did call them a year ago and asked them to stop the fee, it's $49 a year. They told me I would lose my points, so I paid it. Is there a number I can call to apply for a new, fee free one? I'll cancel the old one since I recently redeemed most of my points. I thought I was getting ripped, I have 5 cards and that is the only one I get charged an annual fee on. Preds, why do have 3, is that to avoid the $1000 yearly limit?

Preds, why do have 3, is that to avoid the $1000 yearly limit?
Yes, 3 cards allow me to earn up to 3k per year for cruises. I use 2 of the cards for business purchases, and max out the $250 max earnings per month easily. Our business expenses allow us to earn thousands of miles/points each year... to the extent that we max out the NCL cards in about 4-5 months then roll over to a couple airline cards (so we can earn miles to get where we cruise LOL) and my Hilton Hhonors AMEX card (spending $20k/year keeps you at Gold status with

Hilton and that means free upgrades, not to mention the points you earn)!

The 3rd NCL card we use for personal stuff, and find we max that out in about 9-10 months.

It's crazy I know!

Yes, 3 cards allow me to earn up to 3k per year for cruises. I use 2 of the cards for business purchases, and max out the $250 max earnings per month easily. Our business expenses allow us to earn thousands of miles/points each year... to the extent that we max out the NCL cards in about 4-5 months then roll over to a couple airline cards (so we can earn miles to get where we cruise LOL) and my Hilton Hhonors AMEX card (spending $20k/year keeps you at Gold status with

Hilton and that means free upgrades, not to mention the points you earn)!

The 3rd NCL card we use for personal stuff, and find we max that out in about 9-10 months.

It's crazy I know!

Crazy - No. Awesome - Yes!

Here ya go. Notice one of the highlighted points in No Annual Fee:

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=KWYS&mc=A000001QFY

Thanks for the link. That is the same card. I will call them today and ask for the fee to either be waived from now on, or they can cancel the card and I'll re-apply. $49 a year, and I've had this card for many years, what a rip.

I have had the ncl card since 2003 and just booked a balcony on the pearl for two for 137 dollars after using my points on my card. I love this card . I have the rcI card and it doesnt give you near as many points. I also have never paid a yearly fee. I would definetly look into that. happy cruising

Archived