Houston Restaurants

Houston has created an entertainment zone on Main St, with the light rail running right down the middle. We have not been downtown to check out the restaurants and bars but I am sure you can find plenty of places from $$ to $$$$. By the way its not Lamar road but Lamar St.

Hi Danny, you seem very knowledgable about the downtown Houston area. We are staying at the Hilton Post oak on Post Oak Blvd. Can you shed any light onto what the area is like and especially what the Galleria is like (my wife loves to shop).

Bradtez,

Well, I'm not Danny but I'll answer also. The area of Houston surrounding the Hilton on Post Oak is called the Uptown Area or the Galleria area and, if your wife loves to shop, you certainly picked the right area. The Galleria Center at the intersection of Post Oak and Westheimer is a multi-level "shoppers delight" centered around an ice rink that can keep you occupied for a couple of days. When you finish there, you might want to travel a bit north to the shops at Uptown Park, at the intersection of Post Oak and Loop 610 - or visit any of the shops in between those two areas.

Joyfredsblondecruiser,

Lots of restaurant choices near the downtown Hilton. Our favorite is Mia Bella on Main Street - needless to say it's Italian. I think there is a website that lists the downtown restaurants/attractions. Try a search and if you don't find anything ask again and I'll look it up for you. You're in a very upscale urban area near the Brown Convention Center, Minute Maid Park (baseball), and Toyota Center (basketball) and within walking distance of the light rail line and the Theatre District. Taking the light rail line from one end to the other is a great - and cheap - way to get a tour of Houston!

Good day Mate!

There is not much that I can add, clearlakecrusiers presented some very good information.

The light rail is a very good/cheap way to tour Houston, the line runs from Downtown Houston to the Astrodome/Reliant Park area, a distance of about 7 miles. It costs about $2.00pp one way, I think they still sell a day pass for $2.00. There are several trains running in each direction and the wait is not very long.

FYI, the downtown area has undergone a "rebirth" with the addition of Minute Maid Park/baseball, Toyota Center/basketball, Reliant Stadium/football. The center piece if you will is the light rail line that connects Reliant with downtown.

I have lived in Houston for 59 years but rarely venture into the downtown area, Houston is big and there are many small communities that meet the needs of the populace such as the Clear Lake area.

Have a great trip.

DannyMac,

Didn't mean to "step in" and interrupt. Perhaps we two can join together to form our own "how to see Houston" site!

We have participated in several foreign exchange programs and I often suggest riding the light rail line as a great way to take a cheap tour of Houston in a short time. Riding it round-trip takes you, not only through the downtown, but also through the museum district, Rice University/Hermann Park, the Texas Medical Center and the Reliant Center/Astrodome area. That's a lot of territory covered for $2!!

clearlakecruisers, no problem. I think you are on to something, I have thought about doing it myself but do not have the expertise with the puter. Growing up in Houston is a +, but Houston has grown so much we hardly get out of our comfort zone and avoid going downtown. The kemah boardwalk is our favorite place in Houston. Try "Claudio's".

Let me know about the "How to see Houston" idea, maybe it needs to be explored.

joyfredsblondecruiser, I would allow about 30 min. give or take for the 7 mile trip. It is well worth doing as Houston is divided in several "zones" along the route, Main St entertainment, midtown, theatre district, museum district, hospital district, Reliant Park. Spec's downtown is just four blocks off the railline in a very upscale neighborhood. There stations located in each "district" and each train will load and unload at each.

Let me give you a small warning, as in all big cities there are areas that you do not want to hang around in after dark, Houston has many "street people" and the authorities do a pretty good job of moving them on. Just be aware of your surroundings when out and about, try not to get to far off the beaten path.

Feel free to post any questions and we will try to give you the answer. The "rebirth" of Downtown and Midtown Houston is transforming that area into a destination spot. Lots of "Lofts", "Condo's" and "Townhomes" being constructed with many small and large shopping areas.

I hope this helps, have a great vacation.

DannyMac - Right now the only booking we have is for the Voyager in January of 2008. We're looking to schedule a five-day Splendor cruise in February or March of 2007.

We have cruised Rhapsody, Splendor and Celebrity Galaxy. I really want to cruise the Grand Princess before we lose her.

Bradtez and Joyfredsblondcruiser - Glad to help. Any more questions?

Clearlake or danny,

We are thinking of going to NASA, is it worth the visit, and what would be the best way to get there?

We dont have to long in Houston before we sail on the Carnival Conquest on the 7th of Jan.

We really love visiting your country, everybody is so friendly. And this forum just goes to cement that feeling. Thankyou.

Dear Danny and Clearlake I want to thank you both so much for your help. Fred and I have never been to Houston except to change planes so we are looking forward to seeing as much of your lovely city as we can in a short ammount of time. The way you both discribe Houston I feel I am seeing it through your eyes. I appreciate your help so much. Happy Sailing, Joy

Bradtez, yes it is worth the trip. I have not been there in years, but they have a new venue, I think some of it is interactive and they have a shuttle/tram that will take you through the Manned Space Center on a tour.

You would take I-45S to NASA Rd. You will need to get off onto the feeder and loop around over the freeway on NASA Rd. It is several miles from the freeway, you will cross Texas 3 with a RR track, just stay on NASA Rd and you will see it on your left.

After your visit to the Space Center, you might consider taking a left turn when you leave and drive over to Kemah Broadwalk for lunch or dinner. All you need to is keep going east, same direction when approaching the Center. Follow NASA Rd to 146 and turn right, go over the large bridge and at the base there is a light, turn left. At the first stop sign take another left and drive straight ahead to the Boardwalk.

Plenty of things to see and do, many nice restaurants. Walk around and take a look at the the "Bill of Fair" at each restaurant.

Have a great trip

It's now my turn to say "ditto" to DannyMac's reply.

Since my husband was involved at NASA/JSC for over 40 years, I'm a real proponent of the US space program. I think you would enjoy a visit to Space Center Houston, as the visitor facility is called. As DannyMac said there are interactive exhibits, lots of historical items/information and a tram trip into the Johnson Space Center itself. I'm sure you can do a search under Space Center Houston for more info. It's less than 15 minutes east of I-45 right on NASA Road #1, or, NASA Parkway, as is now being called.

I also agree that a visit to the Kemah Boardwalk is worth the trip. It is located right on Galveston Bay. There are a lot of small shops in the area and several good restaurants - both on the Boardwalk and in Kemah itself. That area has one of the largest concentrations of boats/marinas in the US. When you leave Kemah, you can either go back west on NASA Parkway or go south on Hwy 146 and drive by the large petrochemical industries of Texas City before Hwy 146 joins back with I-45 just north of Galveston.

If you are a history buff - I'm really keen on local history - you might know that Texas City was the site of a very large explosion in the 1940's when several ships exploded with such force that airplanes were blown out of the sky. There is also the history of the 1900 Galveston hurricane, the most deadly natural disaster in US history, that can keep a history buff like me interested for days. Don't get me started on thr pirate tales or the Indian tribes....

From the websites i have browsed and the feedback you have given, NASA is a certainty. It really always was going to be for me, as i am an Aeronautical Engineer, but my wife really just wants to go to the shops...:p

I think we might have to take a tour as we are not going to be hiring a car (that driving on the wrong side of the road thing is a little confusing..lol)

There is a large museum on Texas history located at the San Jacinto Monument in Deer Park, Texas. The Battleship Texas is moored near by just off the ship channel.

Directions, take I45S from Houston and exit at 610 East (Pasadena exit), take 610 to the 225 exit, bear to the right, stay on 225 until you come to Battleground rd. Take the exit and at the top of the over pass turn left. This road will fork before you get to the park, stay to the right and it will take you to the monument. If you stay to the left you will go right past the Battleship.

Battleground Rd, will dead end into the ship channel, on the right is Monument Inn, great service, great seafood, good view of the ships moving in the channel.

This area is industrial, no shops, stores etc. except at the Monument and Battleship.

On your way back on 225, you will pass East Blvd, my house is 2.3 miles south of 225. There is a joke around town that will live within ground zero since we are so close to Shell chemical & refinery.

I hope this helps.

DannyMac - Right now the only booking we have is for the Voyager in January of 2008. We're looking to schedule a five-day Splendor cruise in February or March of 2007.

We have cruised Rhapsody, Splendor and Celebrity Galaxy. I really want to cruise the Grand Princess before we lose her.

Pardon the intrusion, but Clearlakecruisers since we'll be cruising together on the Voyager, and you're considering February '07, why not join us on the Splendor on February 3?!

As for the OP's original question about restaurants, Morton's just opened a new steakhouse downtown, and it's just a block off the rail line. My son, Shawn, is the Assistant Food & Beverage Manager as well as a server. If you want a good steak, check it out, but take lots of $$$$!

Archived