Helicopter experiences

POHherewecome!

My top choice was the Big Island. We did the volcano and waterfall tour in Hilo with Safari. It was my mother's first experience in a helicopter. She loved every minute of it.

Watching the lava flowing into the ocean was the best part of the tour. Our pilot did figure 8's over the two spots where the lava was flowing into the ocean. The pilot also flew us up to the vent where you could see the lava flowing through a lava tube through the "skylight" in the crater.

I also vote for Kauai . We just came back from POAM and took Interisland Helicopters out of the Port Allen airport. It was spectacular. The helicopter has no doors so you have a great view. Only four guests fit in. We also too the optional waterfall land and breakfast ( our tour started at 8 am) which was fun. We swam in the little pool and under the waterfall in a remote area. It was amazing to fly so close to the Napali cliffs and over the water. Like a Disney ride

• 2 weeks later...

I did the helicopter in Maui on 12/18/06 with Air Maui, it was the cheapest out of all the ones I found and was INCREDIBLE! We flew the west maui/molokai route. This route was highly recommended by several people I contacted in Hawaii asking about excursions and best helicopter routes. I even purchased the dvd of the entire flight for $25 and had it in my mailbox within 4 days after getting home.

As for the crater/lava...not going to see much lava if your doing a daytime flight unless your right as it goes into the sea...once its dusk you will see it better. Guess it's depends if you want lava or the incredible landscapes of Hawaii.

Archived