Know much about Cassis, Fr? Or Marseille area?

We were thinking of taking the easy route (for once) and booking the ship's tour of Cassis from Marseille (4 hrs., $45; includes 1 hr. coastal drive, free time along Promenade des Lombards, and photos by Cape Canaille). I've heard it's a tiny, charming port city with plenty of outdoor restaurants. I'm interested in the boat trips that you can take out to the cliffs, but I'm not sure there would be time for that.

Would anyone *strongly* suggest we forego this plan in favor of touring Aix-En-Provence or Avignon? We would most likely do the latter independently; is this a feat compared to other areas (such as Civ to Rome)?

Our only other strong interest was wine tasting/education in this region...

Any advice and direction you could give would be wonderful!

uddanielle

Med Splendor 2004
WC Brillance 2003
SC Explorer 2002
WC Voyager 2001
Semseter at Sea (Royal Olympic's Odysseus) 2000

What your choice comes down to is whether you want to do a very pretty seaside town with small coloured fishing boats etc.or a very elegant southern French town with beautiful shops, fountains and pavement cafes.ie (Aix) They are both beautiful places in their own right and you will enjoy either of them. Cassis is a delight - cafes line the harbour and you will see fishing boats bobbing about. The coastline there is extremely rugged and the views from high up on the cliff tops are beautiful. There are paths which meander up the cliffs but these are tricky to find and depend on how much time you have. Cassis is lovely just to take a gentle stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere.
Aix is a bigger, inland town but is also beautiful. It was founded by the Romans and the fountains are everywhere. They are all shapes and sizes. The Cours Mirabeau is the main boulevard going down the middle and bordering it are classy shops, cafes , parks and beautiful buildings. Its a great place to sit and enjoy the ambience of a typical French town, and do some people watching with an expresso coffee to hand (or a glass of pastis!)
If you like art, it was also the home of Cezanne and if you were to go you can see some of the views he painted. His studio is also open to the public.There are trains to Aix from Marseille but I don't know the timings.I would imagine it is easily doable especially if you have a full day in port.
Good luck in your choice

Marge M.

The biggest attractions in Cassis are the calanques (small coves with rocky cliffs). You wouldn't have time to hike to them, and the shore excursion probably would not give you enough time to take the boat ride to see them.

Years ago, there was also a "famous" one-man circus who performed with his many cats and dogs in the main area. I don't know if he is still there.

There would be more to do in Aix if the weather is not good. Actually, you wouldn't go wrong choosing either destination.

Archived