Plan for calling home in US.

djl45140

Australian mobile phones operate on a different band to the USA - so yes, for your cell phone to work in Australia, it needs to be a tri or quad band. I was for example able to use my Nokia 6131 when I was in the USA because it is a quad-band giving GSM coverage on the 850/900/1800/1900 bands. I am given to understand that most phones released in recent times are quad-band so that they cover all continents.

The alternative is a calling card that allow you to ring the US for a couple of cents per minute from public and private phones. They can be purchased almost everywhere where tourists congregate eg news kiosks.

Cheers

Bob

I have received a code from my carrier, Cingular, to unlock my phone. Then when I get to Sydney I plan to purchase an Australian SIM card to tempoararily replace my current SIM card so that calls will only cost a fraction of what Cingular would charge me (Cingular rate is approx $1.90 USD per minute versus SIM card approx .20 cents). Plus incoming calls will be free. Of course a new SIM card means a new temparary cell phone number. I've just read about this, haven't ever tried it yet, but it sounds like a good solution to me.

I have received a code from my carrier, Cingular, to unlock my phone. Then when I get to Sydney I plan to purchase an Australian SIM card to tempoararily replace my current SIM card so that calls will only cost a fraction of what Cingular would charge me (Cingular rate is approx $1.90 USD per minute versus SIM card approx .20 cents). Plus incoming calls will be free. Of course a new SIM card means a new temparary cell phone number. I've just read about this, haven't ever tried it yet, but it sounds like a good solution to me.

It is my understanding that if you sign up for Cingulars International plan the cost, both incoming and outgoing is about a $1.29 per minute. For friends and family calling from home it would be only a local call vs. long distance toi Australia.

Also, what is the initial charge to get a SIMS card and phone number. Last April, in Europe, it cost me $25.00 to get a number and another $25.00 in prepaid minutes.

.20 cents sounds about right for a local call in Australia, but I bet a call to the states is more.

Further once you get to New Zealand, you have to deal with another sims card.

Check out Onesuite.com for cheap rates(you must check to see what 800 number to use while in A and/or NZ.-while in Australia and NZ. Like a prepaid card. This is all we use while outside the US. I think its going to be 3 not more than 4 cents per minute. No monthly fees- open account with as little as $10. Our cruise is 3/12/07. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

As Bobsydney mentioned above, calling cards are available everywhere. They are, by far, the cheapest method for calling home to the states (never heard of onesuite.com until now). My wife and I cruised from Sydney to Auckland in the spring and bought a ~$10 calling card in Sydney and it lasted us through the entire Australian portion of the trip (you generally have to buy a new calling card in New Zealand). There are many different calling card options available in both countries, so review the connection fees (if any) and per minute charges of multiple cards before selecting one.

Good luck!

Archived