Balcony cabin - danger or relief with a toddler?

Florida_cruisers

I think it is absolutely worth it to have a balcony when cruising with a toddler. We have done it three times now. There is a 4 foot tall glass panel that would be next to impossible for a toddler to climb over. Of course, we never let our kids out on the balcony by themselves, but I think they are perfectly safe even without supervision.

There is a world of difference between having to sit in a dark cabin while your toddler naps and sitting out on the balcony with a good book.

I think it is absolutely worth it to have a balcony when cruising with a toddler. We have done it three times now. There is a 4 foot tall glass panel that would be next to impossible for a toddler to climb over. Of course, we never let our kids out on the balcony by themselves, but I think they are perfectly safe even without supervision.

There is a world of difference between having to sit in a dark cabin while your toddler naps and sitting out on the balcony with a good book.

You NEED the bacony. You will go stir crazy in the cabin with a toddler. I know. I've done it both ways. I don't think its a risk because you are not going to have the balcony open unless one of you guys is out there.

Just take the same precautions that you would at a hotel or at home. Noone should be leaving toddlers or young kids on the balcony alone anyway. See if they still have aft balconies available. You may be able to snag one for a few dollars extra and you would have tons more room on the balcony. Enough to even put a pack and play out on and still have lots of room to walk around.

Joe

We just returned from the Carnival Miracle dec 3-10 sailing. We had a balcony cabin. Our son turns 2 yrs old in a couple weeks. There were 2 locks on the balcony door (one way above his reach) and the railing was quite sufficient so not only was it impossible for him to slip thru, it was also NIGH impossible for him to throw anything over or thru the cracks. he could (and did) slide a swim shoe under the divider to the next door balcony once, but the neighbors were nice and returned it to us the next morning.

We had a LOT of problems with camp carnival and the Miracle staff, but fortunately balcony issues were not among them.

Colleen

Absolutely take the balcony. We've done it both ways and agree it's wonderful to have the balcony for nap time. We also will sit out there in the evening after the kids go to sleep and share a drink and have some quiet conversation before going to bed ourselves. Also, we will usually get breakfast from room service and enjoy eating out on the balcony. My 4 yo always asks if we can have breakfast on the balcony. It's her favorite part of cruising--after the kids program. :)

We traveled w/our then 18-month old on the Carnival Conquest and we had a balcony room. I wouldn't do it any other way. We kept the door locked unless one of us was out there. He loved sitting out there and eating breakfast and watching us come into port in the mornings. It was also nice for when he was napping and then later @night.

In fact, we have booked a mini-suite w/a balcony on our next cruise in a couple weeks!

I hate to travel any other way. There is nothing better than putting the kids to bed, then heading out on the balcony for some alone time and adult conversation with the hubby while you watch the moonlight bounce off the waves. It is HEAVEN!

And I agree with the pp's...it is VERY difficult for a toddler to open the balcony doors.

We just got back from the Crown and 2 nites DS fell asleep at 7:30 (there is no in cabin sitting on Princess) so DH and I took turns going up to Cafe Caribe to get dinner and we ate together on the balcony. It was great! Definitely take the balcony.

I booked our first balcony cruise with the Explorer because I read that it will be convenient for when the baby sleeps. But DH seems to think that it is more of a danger than a convenience with a toddler.

What do you think? is it worth it?

Not sure how old or how mobile your toddler is but just remember there are chairs and a table out on the balconys so you want to remove them so he can't climb up on them to reach the rail. If you are right there with him all the time it shouldn't be an issue. Enjoy your cruise! :)

WOW...when I read your decription of eating on the balcony or just hanging out while the baby sleeps I am SO BUMMED that teh balconies on the NCL WIND are more than double the price of a CC oceanview cabin. I want a balcony now, too!

I originally booked our last (and first) cruise for a OV, but thankfully I bumped us up to a lower level balcony. It's the only way to cruise. You should also consider what may be around or beneath your cabin and how it may affect your childs sleeping. But that is another topic. Back to the balcony. Again the door will be impossible to open and one other note, on Carnival Glory the glass rail did also have some sort of extension so nothing can get below the railing. I would also second the idea of removing the furniture if your child can climb onto the furniture, that is if they may be out there while you are not. One other thing to keep in mind would be if the child can throw anything over the railing. So keep any personal items that the child can't live without in the room while they may be sitting on your lap while enjoying the balcony time.

My favorite part was being able to wake up before my daughter and enjoy pulling into port in the morning. That will be something I will always want to enjoy again. But maybe also enjoy with my daughter when she gets older.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Archived