Any Info on the Piano Guy on the Valor (Doug)?

zillabe

When I did Valor this past April, I was very disappointed in the Piano Bar. Usually, it's my favorite place to hang out, but this guy really did not have it. It was empty most nights.

For the life of me, I do not remember his name.

Joanne

I guess it's really everyones own opinion. JXR you sailed with Ron Pass who is known as one of the top piano bar entertainers. We had him the last time we sailed on the Valor. Sometimes it really depends on what group of people are on your sailing. The bar was packed every night and you had to get there right as it opened to even get a seat when Ron was there.

We just got off the Valor Dec. 3 and were at the Piano bar almost every night with Doug, including the first night on the cruise which was also Doug's first night on the Valor.

Doug has a great voice (his rendition of Piano Man is terrific). He does (or at least did on our cruise) have a habit of not finishing an entire song before sewaying into another song. That being said, those segways can be very entertaining.

All things said, DH & I felt he was one of the better piano bar entertainers we have come across in 16 cruises. I'm not saying the best, just better than most.

I'm betting that his entertainment improves through the next few weeks as he gets adjusted to a new ship, new piano and sound techs, etc.

In fact, DH & I are about ready to book another cruise on the Valor for April,l 2007, and we are really looking forward to enjoying Doug's piano bar again!

Dianne

I guess it's really everyones own opinion. JXR you sailed with Ron Pass who is known as one of the top piano bar entertainers. We had him the last time we sailed on the Valor. Sometimes it really depends on what group of people are on your sailing. The bar was packed every night and you had to get there right as it opened to even get a seat when Ron was there.

I think that the week that we were on, Ron Pass had just gotten off for a vacation or something. The one that we had was not the regular. We were all excited, as we had heard great things about Ron.

P.S. Just found my caper and his name was Duane. No last name.

I think that the week that we were on, Ron Pass had just gotten off for a vacation or something. The one that we had was not the regular. We were all excited, as we had heard great things about Ron.

P.S. Just found my caper and his name was Duane. No last name.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions! I couldn't believe someone would say that about Ron! LOL. That's too bad you didn't get to see Ron. We are in the piano bar a lot and I would be really dissapointed if the piano guy sucked.

98 Charlie - Thanks for the info...that puts my mind at ease. At least he's not terrible. I'm sure after some drinks he will sound pretty good :)

Sorry for jumping to conclusions! I couldn't believe someone would say that about Ron! LOL. That's too bad you didn't get to see Ron. We are in the piano bar a lot and I would be really dissapointed if the piano guy sucked.

98 Charlie - Thanks for the info...that puts my mind at ease. At least he's not terrible. I'm sure after some drinks he will sound pretty good :)

Doug IS a very talented pianist and a great entertainer. Please don't twist my post the wrong way. You're comments, ``at least he's not terrible . . .I'm sure after some drinks he will sound pretty good,'' are not justified in this instance.

The piano bar had a good following of pax during our cruise and I think that says a lot about a piano player who was making his first appearance on that ship.

Dianne

98Charle, Thanks for the information. I've heard some good and bad things about him. That is true when saying he just started on the valor. He will probably feel comfortable by the time we cruise with him :) I will just have to find out for myself! I'm sure he will be great...

98Charle, Thanks for the information. I've heard some good and bad things about him. That is true when saying he just started on the valor. He will probably feel comfortable by the time we cruise with him :) I will just have to find out for myself! I'm sure he will be great...

Music, like beauty, is in the ear (or eye) of the beholder. :D We liked Doug's music, but it doesn't mean everyone will. Go in with an open eye and ear and enjoy.:cool:

Dianne

I was on the 12/10 sailing. Doug is good... and as someone else mentioned he tends to only sing one part of a song, partly because as he said, he doesn't know all the songs people were requesting.

He is probably in his 40s, but I honestly could not tell you if he was attractive - never paid attn.

98Charlie....this is a dumb question, but is he old..young? Good looking? (At least in your opinion LOL)

I'll preface this by saying I'm a 59-yr. old female who will celebrate her 40th wedding anniversary next year, so I haven't been looking around for awhile and don't intend to go looking around in the future.:D

That said: I would venture to say Doug is somewhere between 35 & 40, about 5'6''-5'8'' with sandy-blond hair and of medium build. I personally found Doug to be good looking and by the number of females hanging around the chairs encircling his piano bar I'd say other females much younger than I felt the same. (Hey, I said I was much older and not looking but never said I don't notice;) ).

Dianne

Doug is a GREAT entertainer. We spent every night in his piano bar. His name is Doug Ross and he is from Canada. Here is a link for more information:

http://www.siegelent.com/Acts/Piano/Doug%20Ross/act.htm

I sailed the 12/17/06 and I think he said he was on the Valor until Jan. 7th 2007??? I'll get some photos together soon!

My boyfriend and I were on the 12/17 sailing on the valor. We were in the piano bar (Lindy Hop) everynight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doug was an awesome entertainer! Go see him and if you give him tips he'll play longer. One night we were in there so long the security came and kicked everyone out! Hope you have as much fun as we did! It was the vacation of a life time and Doug made it that much better! ENJOY

Archived