Transfer to Valparaiso and Hotel Recommendation

gpearce

We are going to arrive at Santiago a day before our March 20 cruise. Since we have been to Santiago for a week we thought we would look into a transfer to Valparaiso and staying the night there or in Vina del Mar. Does anyone have any recommendations for either the transfer from the airport to Valparaiso or a good hotel?

Thanks

We are using ChileAbout for a transfer from Santiago (hotel) to Valpariso, and a tour is included. I think they also pickup from the airport. If you can find another couple to share the transportation, there will be a considerable savings. Their web site is http://www.chileabout.com.

We used LatinTrip out of Miami (1-800-811-8829) for our hotel in Santiago. Their web site is http://www.chile-hotels.com. One caution: they require payment up front, have a 72-hour cancellation policy plus a $25 fee to cancel anytime after booking. However, they did have better rates than I could get contacting the hotel directly. It remains to be seen what kind of room we'll get; hopefully it won't be the preverbial "priceline" room.

Whatever you do, reviews of hotels as well as tour operators can be found at http://www.tripadvisor.com.

Frommers and Fodors travel guides are also very helpful.

hope this helps. john

JEBurton... We have booked with ChileAbout for our Santiago to Valparaiso transfer & tour; will let you know how it worked out when we return next month; indeed, wish we could find a share because there is a substantial saving for another couple.

We are going to arrive at Santiago a day before our March 20 cruise. Since we have been to Santiago for a week we thought we would look into a transfer to Valparaiso and staying the night there or in Vina del Mar. Does anyone have any recommendations for either the transfer from the airport to Valparaiso or a good hotel?

Thanks

We just used on Dec. 1,Terracota Excursiones wwho picked us up at the airport,took us on a wine tour and then to our hotel in Santiago. On Dec. 3 they took us from Santiago,to two wineries andf lunch ,then a tour of Valpariso and Vina del Mr prior to boarding the ship. Theyh were great and booked the hotels,tours,etc. The more people the cheaper. my wife and a went alone on tours with them,(Manuel was a our driver guide for all three days) for two days and then another couple joined us for the transfer and tours on the third day. I know that they will arrange a transfer from the airport to Valpariso and i reccomend you stop for a wine tour and lunch . Ask for Natalia or Mabel at terracotachile.cl and tell them that Ben Goldman sends his regards. If you need any more information, you can email me at bgoldman@ssd.com

Ben

gpearce...... with regards to ChileAbout, I will certainly let you know how their service is once we return.

However, I'm glad to say that I'm already impressed because we received an e-mail just the other day that they had found someone to share our transfer with us so our cost would be less!!

• 2 weeks later...

We flew in 3 days before the cruise, staying one night at the Hotel Orly in Santiago---close to so much and very nice. We used Enturchile for transfer and tour to Valparaiso. Probably any company would be nice, but we highly recommend the Hotel Brighton. It was a delightful, bright yellow old hotel perched high above the city atop Conception HIll, overlooking the bay. As we later found out, it wasn't as remote as we once thought, but in what wil soon become a "high rent distict." It had a million dollar view. Our room was $77. All the rooms wer different. We had a large room that looked toward downtown. It was up a narrow circular flight of stairs which was a challenge with our heavy luggage. The night lights were beautiful. Our friends had a small main floor rom that looked on the bay and had a small balcony. They had an outdoor terrace overlooking the bay. Continental breakfast was included.

On the second day, we walked over the city and took the ascensors. Neat. The day of departure, we even walked a very short way to be sure our ship had come in!!!!! It was a great place to stay.

I am posting from my diary that was posted in August on these boards. I am just sharing our experience with Enturchile. Victor does not meet you, but is the travel "director." This is just a "beware" statement listed under "our main concern" I would not necessarily refuse to use them, but just beware. Actually this goes for anytime you eat with your driver and tour guide, I would suspect.

""After a lovely buffet breakfast, used the free computer to send e-mail to family and friends and were met by our tour guide and driver taking us on a tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar where we would spend the next 2 nights. We contracted through Victor Alabi of Enturchile. The tour was OK and we saw the highlights He didn’t give us as much information as our tour guides we had later.

Our main concern: We knew our meals were not included. A word to the wise. They took us to a restaurant and there seemed to be a concern as to the reservation. The guide and driver moved us from a table for 4 to a table for 6. I motioned for the driver and guide to join us. We had a nice meal. We noticed the men kept eating, eating, drinking, etc. Then we got the bill. Since we had motioned for them to come join us, we were expected to pay. I can accept that to a point, but they just kept running up the bill. My husband and I ate for $18. The men’s total bill was $35. We got that settled and they took us to a few more sights in Vina and Valparaiso and then we located our Hotel Brighton---quite a challenge to get to the remote location. We bade farewell to our guide and driver, tipped them against our better judgment, but we were just caught off guard. ""

We haven't gone yet, so I can't personally recommend it, but after much Santiago research I looked at Vina del Mar hotels and realized that I would much rather be at a small beachside resort town for the last night of my trip than a big city. There are two 5 star hotels right on the beach; we booked the brand new Sheraton Miramar, with all ocean-view rooms and a beautifully-located pool right by the ocean shore.

We'll be finishing our cruise on January 28; I'll post a review to this forum about the hotels in Vina and in BA shortly after we get home.

Archived