Sunday in B.A.

azkitty

Is Sunday in B.A. almost like any other day with restaurants open and tango shows or does the city shut down?

I hesitate to answer because I am not sure re tango shows, Restaurants and flea markets are open, Some Malls are open. Many big stores are closed. I went to a tango show on Saturday night,dinner included. What a great experience. The city definetly does not shut down on sunday otherwise. Teatro Colon is closed for rennovation till 2008.

Marty:)

• 3 weeks later...

We opted to to to Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay on the Sunday we were in BA. Get tickets ahead, however. It was a beautiful day. We returned to BA around 6:00 p.m. WE walked the Puerto Madero along the dock. Being Sunday, families with children were strolling there, too. We chose to ate at the Spettus Steak House, recommended by Carlos our guide who we used while on the cruise day in BA. (After Rio, we went to Iguazzu for 2 nights and then back to BA for 5 nights.) We were hungry, but had to wait until 8:00 to eat as is typical in SA. It was an interesting place, but excellent. Very reasonable--buffett, dessert, drink for $13 US, tip included.

I've been to B.A. twice, but not on a cruise though. Nevertheless, I love the place. :) Sundays are great in B.A. You can go to the flea markets and parks and just enjoy the ease of the day with the locals. The best one is in Recoleta near the Recoleta cemetery. It's a good stop especially if you are intereseted in visiting Eva Peron's burial site. If not, it's still a good market to go to. There's music, tons of vendors and some pretty good street performers. Not too far away (and on almost any corner in B.A.) you'll find the best ice cream shop in the world, Freddo. Then you can head into Palermo and check out a few museums like MALBA to see Diego Rivera, Jorge de la Vega and Frida Kahlo originals if that's what you are into. ;)

If you are into antiques, you can check out the San Telmo fair where you will also see a whole lot of tango dancing in the streets. Also, plenty of restaurants are open to enjoy a nice meal on the street as you catch some good dancing.

~~~~

The idea of going to Colonia is awesome though. I did that back in March. It's a great little town. If you do decide to go, there is a restaurant along the river that has a lighthouse right in the middle of it. They have the best fish and sangria ever!! The fish is called "boga" as it comes right out of the Boga River where the restaurant sits. It's supposed to feed 2, but it really feeds more like 4. LOL! My best friend just went there in December and fell in love with the place.

Hello,

We're just back from the Dec 17 Infinity cruise, which departed Buenos Aires on a Sunday. We spent the day hopping around the city by taxi.

Caminito in La Boca had the street tango dancers (performing for tips), and all the restaurants and souvenir shops were open.

Recoleta was very busy, both in the cemetary, the outdoor market, and the mall that was right next door. Again, everything was open.

I've read some warnings concerning walking the streets and hailing taxis on the street in BA, and was wondering just what the situation is there. Using big city caution, is BA a safe city to walk around in and should we be concerned about taxi drivers?

Can someone who has "been there, done that" recommend a plan to see the main tourist areas starting from the cruise ship pier, to include the cemetery, as well as the San Telmo and Plaza de Mayo areas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can offer.

As I said in my post above, I've never traveled to B.A. by ship. So I don't know much about a plan from the pier to the tourist areas. I've been to all of those places you mentioned though.

But in terms of safety, both times I've been there, I simply followed the common sense rule. I'm 32 years old and I went in March 2006 and July 2004. Never did I feel unsafe or compromised in any way. I did leave my engagement ring at home and just wore my wedding band and I kept my personal belongings on me at all times, meaning I never sat my bag down on the floor or even put it across my chair in restaurants. But I wouldn't do that in NYC. It's just common sense to me.

Both times I was there, I walked around with one or two friends, and in the early morning, I'd even leave my hotel by myself to go to the internet cafe or to go to the gym which was just around the corner. Because I was there for so long, I made friends in the neighborhood stores and restaurants and they kinda looked out for me. You will be fine in the tourist areas. Again, just be mindful of your surroundings and I suggest not wearing any flashy jewelry or watches.

In terms of taxis, only catch taxis that have the yellow and black "Radio Taxi" signs. There are tons of taxis in B.A. and it can get confusing. At the same time, there are tons of "Radio Taxis", so you should have no problem getting one. Also, make sure they turn the meter on when you get in the cab. If they are a Radio Taxi driver, they will, but just be sure. :)

In terms of taxis, only catch taxis that have the yellow and black "Radio Taxi" signs. There are tons of taxis in B.A. and it can get confusing. At the same time, there are tons of "Radio Taxis", so you should have no problem getting one. Also, make sure they turn the meter on when you get in the cab. If they are a Radio Taxi driver, they will, but just be sure. :)

I agree with this. At our hotel, we just had the bellman get the taxi, so no problems there. In La Boca, there was a man flagging down taxis for a tip....not really needed since there were so many taxis coming by, but I did tell him I only wanted a Radio Taxi. In Recoleta, we got one on the street, but again, we only looked for Radio Taxis, and only had to wait about a minute.

I always asked how much the fare would be approximately before we started, and it was always ended up very close (usually about $4-5).

Archived