"E" passport

theonlyjoie

Not all of the passport agencies are yet "making" the chipped passports as yet. Hubby and I put in for ours 3 weeks apart (mid October). Mine went to the Seattle, WA agency and no chip. His went to Colorado and has the chip. A friend put in for his in August and it also went to Colorado and has the chip. I remember reading a while back that the Colorado Passport Agency was the first to begin issuing this "new" passport.

Do any of you CCers have the new "E" passport with the chip in it? Has it speeded-up the security process at the airport?

Do not believe it will speed up the process anything significant. They now just swipe the bar code. Seems it takes the most time answering all of those questions. ;)

Do any of you CCers have the new "E" passport with the chip in it? Has it speeded-up the security process at the airport?

If you meant going through TSA security, the chip has absolutely NOTHING to do with security-only immigration from overseas.

Won't help one bit through the check-in or TSA security, although a passport (any) generally allows ID checker at airport security to read it easier and pass you on quicker.

The chip passport is just one more harebrained idea DHS came up with. Won't help process anyone ANYPLACE any faster. DHS made the passports; they are still waiting for the passport readers to be made. And just one more database for someone to mistype your name into. Sheer folly.

If you meant going through TSA security, the chip has absolutely NOTHING to do with security-only immigration from overseas.

Won't help one bit through the check-in or TSA security, although a passport (any) generally allows ID checker at airport security to read it easier and pass you on quicker.

The chip passport is just one more harebrained idea DHS came up with. Won't help process anyone ANYPLACE any faster. DHS made the passports; they are still waiting for the passport readers to be made. And just one more database for someone to mistype your name into. Sheer folly.

How sucky is THAT:(? I guess I was hoping for something with a thorough background check, retinal scan, biometrics, or something that would get us through security faster. Yeah, suuuure:rolleyes:...

One other question (besides "does she ever shut up":D): How soon before its expiration date should one renew one's passport? I ask because I noted at the .gov website that you have to send in your old passport when you renew?!

Thank you, everyone! Great info!

How sucky is THAT:(? I guess I was hoping for something with a thorough background check, retinal scan, biometrics, or something that would get us through security faster. Yeah, suuuure:rolleyes:...

One other question (besides "does she ever shut up":D): How soon before its expiration date should one renew one's passport? I ask because I noted at the .gov website that you have to send in your old passport when you renew?!

Thank you, everyone! Great info!

No later than 6 months before expiration. Quite a few countries REQUIRE you have 6 months validity left on your passport. You will not be able to get visas to certain countries (Brazil, Vietnam, Cambodia, China to name a few) if you do not have a passport with 6 months validity. DON'T wait until the last minute before expiration. It could cost you much more than the expedite fees (long story, but it happened to me).

No later than 6 months before expiration. Quite a few countries REQUIRE you have 6 months validity left on your passport. You will not be able to get visas to certain countries (Brazil, Vietnam, Cambodia, China to name a few) if you do not have a passport with 6 months validity. DON'T wait until the last minute before expiration. It could cost you much more than the expedite fees (long story, but it happened to me).

Thank you:) And I'll be sure to plan some leeway, just in case it takes longer than it should. (Well, we are talking about the government, right?:p)

I haven't been able to find out if I have to mail it in, or if I can take it in person to a local office. :confused:

Thanks again!

Thank you:) And I'll be sure to plan some leeway, just in case it takes longer than it should. (Well, we are talking about the government, right?:p)

I haven't been able to find out if I have to mail it in, or if I can take it in person to a local office. :confused:

Thanks again!

Our local passport office will not allow you to bring them in unless it is a rush, then you have to make an appointment and bring proof your trip within 2 weeks, I believe. I have never done it this way. I just allow enough time and mail it.

Check your local passport office and see what their website states.

Our local passport office will not allow you to bring them in unless it is a rush, then you have to make an appointment and bring proof your trip within 2 weeks, I believe. I have never done it this way. I just allow enough time and mail it.

Check your local passport office and see what their website states.

How long did it take for yours to get delivered back to you?

Thanks!

P.S. Nice photo! Bet it's not your passport photo; they hardly ever look good.:p

Archived