Sheraton Yankee Clipper-Ft. Lauderdale

diboja

Just rec'd info as to which hotel we will be at prior to our Jan 23rd Maasdam 10 dayer...

I read up on the net about the Sheraton Yankee Clipper in Fort Lauderdale and the reports don't sound too good . oh well, we will only be there briefly!

Has anyone stayed at this hotel and I understand there is a nice German Restaurant/Pub down the street called the "Bierbrunnen Pub" - anyone tried it?

One other thing - we would like to pick up a few bottles of wine - I would assume that the hotel may have a bottle shop or there is one nearby?

The water Taxi sounds like fun to take a run up and down the inner coastal waterway - gee, aren't we exciting people! (coming from the Land-Locked Canadian Prairies when its -30C it IS fun)

If anyone has any comments my wife and I would certainly appreciate them...

Thanks

Dave

I have stayed at the Clipper several times. It is very old (as are many hotels in FL). They have done their best to redo is several times, but it really needs to be torn down. That said, it has one of the best locations in all of FL. It also has terrific service. They have rooms with ocean views, but no balconies. My rooms have always been clean, but very tired.

I don't know anything about the restaurant.

Take a taxi cab over to the Publix and get your wine. They have a great selection and good prices. There are a few liquor stores too, but none very close to the Clipper. We always rent a car there--Florida has a lot of competing car rental agencies and we always find a good price. Also, there are no drop off fees.

We were in FL in February and they were having problems with the water taxi. There was some kind of friction between the taxi operators and the city and they only had limited service. We took it over to Las Olas and we had to wait a very long time to get back. I don't think I would take it again if that is still the case.

We stayed at this hotel on Dec2 for one night pre-cruise and we liked it. We had ocean view room, it was clean and comfortable, did not have any smell, water was yellow in a bathroom though, but it did not bother us. Pool is nice with very comfortable lounges. We had lunch at the waterfront restaurant called something like 'World famous cabana' (?) and food was good. Then we took water taxi to Las Olas ($10 - unlimited use), it was very pleasant ride. but we needed to start earlier to be able to hop off/on on different stops.

Thanks for all of your comments - much appreciated!

Bequia - I thought that the sun trolley was an excellent idea for getting around but they only run Thursday to Sundays. We are there early in the week....

We were in FL in February and they were having problems with the water taxi. There was some kind of friction between the taxi operators and the city and they only had limited service. We took it over to Las Olas and we had to wait a very long time to get back. I don't think I would take it again if that is still the case.

We were in FLL last month and the water taxis were no problem then. I wouldn't worry about using the water taxis.

We stayed at the Yankee Clipper for 3 days in Feb 06 and are planning to stay again post-cruise Mar 2007. We enjoy that section of beach and the beach-side service was terrific. The rooms are a little "tired" but our room was clean and the bedding was super comfy.

We ate twice at the german restaurant and loved it. It's small but easy to walk to and has a friendly crowd. Watched the superbowl there sitting outside at the bar - great for us being from the northeast!

If you want to go upscale walk next door to the Marriot to eat. We spent and evening with drinks and appetizers for dinner at the bar and had a lovely time.

Good luck!

Archived