Hawaii Revealed or Frommers?

niki1785

I bought 2006 Frommers for $3 from an Amazon shipper since I was going to be on several islands. Then after reading these boards I purchased the Oahu Revealed since we were spending 4 days pre & post cruise on Oahu and it had gotten great reviews. Really small change considering price of trip.

I have used the "revealed" books for Kauai and the Big Island (Hawaii) - so I imagine that the one for Oahu would be good as well. In comparison to any other Hawaii travel books I checked out or bought, they were the best.

For a last minute trip I bought the Oahu Revealed book. I thought it was much better than the standard guide books. I liked that they have been to each and every place they write about. Over the years I've been disillousined by a guide book that gives a hotel a rave review that I have been to, and know it's a flat out dump no matter how rose colored your glasses are and how much sugar coating you put on it.

Thanks everyone for your great comments and suggestions! I chose to purchase the Revealed book, and although I haven't gotten a chance to look at it too much, I did think it was a better purchase than Frommers, for me at least. I really liked the fact that it was full of pictures, so you have a better idea of what you are going to see/do. It also seems very informative. But Dan L had a great idea, I think I will try to get the Frommer's book used online too. Thanks everyone! :D

Thanks everyone for your great comments and suggestions! I chose to purchase the Revealed book, and although I haven't gotten a chance to look at it too much, I did think it was a better purchase than Frommers, for me at least. I really liked the fact that it was full of pictures, so you have a better idea of what you are going to see/do. It also seems very informative. But Dan L had a great idea, I think I will try to get the Frommer's book used online too. Thanks everyone! :D

you bought the most informative book, and the one that is the easiest to use..............we enjoyed the photos and the maps are easier to read and follow.

I haven't bought a Frommer's Hawaii book since the mid-80s but have glanced at them in bookstores. They appear the same. They are very big on shopping and restaurants, and go out of their way to not insult any business. I'd say that if you are really into either of these activities a Frommer's might be a good thing to look at - first check one at your library.

To me the Revealed books are the best guidebooks I've seen - for anywhere. Maybe they just appeal to my way of traveling. I'm much more interested in activities and really good maps. I do like to know if they think an interesting restaurant is wonderful, okay, mediocre, or dreadful. You just don't get those from most guidebooks.

Every now and then their opinions don't match ours completely, but for things like good snorkeling beaches, good excursions, and things like that I've found them to be spot on.

I cant wait for Christmas morning to get my books! I know they arrived in the mail and are now under hubbies computer desk...I heard such good things about the revealed books,so that was on the top of my wish list:) Dot

I'm very much looking forward to opening up my Revealed book for Christmas too! I picked it out for Christmas... now I have to wait! It's good to know that they are so honest about different attractions/places to eat. I know when I open that book it will be even more real to me that I'm actually going to Hawaii!

The best travel books are the ones that you find easiest to use - go to the library or bookstore and check them all out before buying. Check the publication dates - nothing worse than reviews of places that don't exist any more. Also, if you decide to get a used book, remember that reviews, businesses and prices are going to be out-of-date.

Donah-

Is there any one thing you would recommend to see/do in Oahu - besides the USS Arizona and hiking up Diamond Head (I'm definitely going to do those two)?

Thanks!

Well, since I'm a tourist on Oahu myself, I can't claim "local kine" knowledge, but I'd say you have to at least see Waikiki because everyone will expect it. I like to do drinks at the House without a Key at the Halekulani if you are going to be on Oahu for a day or two - sunset is great and there's a good show, and since it is on the beach, you get to see Waikiki too. The Polynesian Cultural Center is very popular and you get to drive past North Shore, which is also something to see in the winter when the big surf is in. The Aloha Tower is a cruising icon, which you should be able to catch at embarkation or disembarkation. The International Marketplace is fun to just wander around. Punchbowl is very moving.

Some of the Oahu folks should pitch in here as well. MikeKaye??

We used the Revealed books. I forgot them at home so we had to buy more when we got there. We didn't go anywhere without these books. There are great. They even have the local numbers for the rental cars that was a big plus for us. Since we took our cell phone we would just call the company for rates. It was really nice. Great maps for snorkeling.

I loved the revealed books. They were so helpful. We used them to find sites, restaurants and beaches. The maps were good and they were pretty accurate.

If you want some more maps I highly recommend "Pocket Maps" from:

Travel Graphics International® tgimaps.com

612-377-1080

E-mail us at trip@tgimaps.com

They were fun, orienting and really easy to use. My daughter was the copilot in Hawaii and she liked these the best. We also used the maps provided by Thrifty for street level directions. They were great too.

We really enjoyed the Atlantis submarine in Waikiki. It leaves from the pier in front of Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was a bit pricey ($85, although some discounts are available), but it was one of the high points of our trip. Have fun !

Archived