Good Housekeeping Magazine Article on Cruise Ship Doctors - SCARY!!

gooselover

Anybody had a chance to read this yet? RCI along with Carnival and NCL are being sued due to negligence by "doctors" on board these cruise ships.

Anybody had any experience with any cruise lines' infirmary or doctors? If any of you have had a chance to read this article in Good Housekeeping, I would sure like to hear your opinion.

Truthfully, the article is downright scary what happened to these people.

Let's face the facts, if these doctors could get a practice stateside then they would. I had someone that worked with me at one time who's brother in law was a doctor on a cruise ship. He wanted so badly to practice here in the states but could not pass the tests or whatever it is that he needed to go to get a license to practice so he stayed on the ships. I have used a doctor on the ship one time many years ago. I developed an ear infection and he prescribed the medication and it cleared up. Not sure that I would want anything more serious though.

When we did the MExican Riviera, after our Dolphin Swim, I developed a NASTY ear infection, that was extremely painful...I was very grateful to the doctor in the ship's infirmary for his skill, as well as his graciousness and that of his nurse.

I know several ER Doc's in Florida that have taken short contracts on cruise ships. They say they do it for the chance to see new places and meet new people. They all comment that the equipment is state of the art, usually better than they have here.

It would be helpful if you could have attached a link for reference, but I get concerned to read these kind of threads because I am a registered nurse, and I work very closely with many doctors in our community.

It would not be fair to alarm the public to think they will or would recieve inadaquate care if the doc was needed. I believe that the doctors are very qualified, as I know for certain that the ship doctors are usually seasoned ER docs who sign in a rotation because they are caring professionals who do want to help others as well as see the ports of call at the same time. I have done ER nursing for many years, and I believe that articles like you mention is just yet another attempt to make the cruise lines look bad.

Sensationalism is how they sell magazines and newspapers. I had some kind of bite or something that looked like it was starting to get infected. It happened before we boarded the ship. Made a visit to the ships doctor and he gave me some antibiotics and they worked fine.

I asked if he was permanently stationed on the ship and he stated "No". He was a practicing physician in England and gets a "real deal" on the cruise by working a certain amount of hours while at sea and being on call on the ship.

Sensationalism is how they sell magazines and newspapers. I had some kind of bite or something that looked like it was starting to get infected. It happened before we boarded the ship. Made a visit to the ships doctor and he gave me some antibiotics and they worked fine.

I asked if he was permanently stationed on the ship and he stated "No". He was a practicing physician in England and gets a "real deal" on the cruise by working a certain amount of hours while at sea and being on call on the ship.

One of my DH's best friends is a board certified ER doc. Not only is he one of the best and brightest in terms of medical acumen, his ability to relate to patients is wonderful. He works full time practicing in CA but several times has worked cruises because he then essentially gets a free vacation. He loves his work so it's no sacrifice for him. Point being, at least some of the cruise ship docs are as good as what you can find at home. Maybe better.

Jan

There are plenty of land based physicians being sued for negligence and malpractice. Some cases are valid, others are people looking for a payoff.

There are those who are good and those who are bad in all fields. This even applies to waiters on board from what I've heard here.

Anybody had a chance to read this yet? RCI along with Carnival and NCL are being sued due to negligence by "doctors" on board these cruise ships.

Anybody had any experience with any cruise lines' infirmary or doctors? If any of you have had a chance to read this article in Good Housekeeping, I would sure like to hear your opinion.

Truthfully, the article is downright scary what happened to these people.

As if land-based US doctors don't get sued for negligence (or cut of the wrong leg, operate on the wrong person, etc.)

First off, I have never had an experience with any infirmary on any cruise ship, so I do not have any opinions regarding this at all. Just wanted to know if anybody had any experiences with cruise ship doctors.

Unfortunately, I cannot attach a link since this is an article in Good Housekeeping's Janaury 07 issue. The article is entitled Cruise Ship Danger.

The article starts off with an incident on AOS in February 05 with a husband and wife doing their regular anniversary cruise. The husband came down with a bad case of "heartburn". He visited the doctor on board who gave him some Zantac, but he felt worse the next day. When he went back in the next day, the nurse came out stating that the husband was asking for the wife. To make a long story short, they treated him for a heart attack when he flatlined (he was hooked up to an EKG) and then "paddled" him to get his heart started...even though he was completely awake at the time of the flatline. RCL then had them go to a Curaco hospital wherein they determined it was not a heart attack, but that the blood thining drugs that RCL gave him caused himto have a seizure and the EKG leads came undone, thus looking like a flatline.

When they arrived back on board, the ship's security told them that they had to disembark in Curaco as RCL couldn't take the risk of his heath on board (it was determined to be a case of heartburn per documentation given to RCL by the hospital in Curaco). There,RCL left them on the island to their own accord.

Another case on Carnival in 2005 involved a honeymooning couple wherein the bride tripped over the lip going into the bathroom. (I am very familiar with this "lip") Evidently, she "broke" her elbow (not determined yet). When the husband called the infirmary, he was told they don't open for another 8 hours, so the next morning they go down after she suffered a night of horrible pain. The doctor gave her a shot for pain and then made a plaster mold for her arm and put an Ace bandage on it. The doctor then told her she needed to visit the hospital in Cancun at next port. There an ambulance was waiting for them to supposedly take them to the hospital, and the couple thought, wow, this is great from Carnival...but Carnival did not arrange this ambulance. This ambulance, instead of taking them to the hospital, took them to a small clinic and the situation went down hill from there (the clinic said she needed surgery or have her arm amputated, then demanded money for x-rays taken or they couldn't leave - had to be cash!) The husband I guess repeatedly asked for a Carnival rep, but the clinic (spoke no English really) said Carnival had nothing to do with this and couldn't cut loose the wife. The husband was allowed to go back to the ship, pack their bags,and the ship left without them. The husband's father flew in 2 days later to pay this horrendous $1900 bill for x-rays.

There was another story about a small boy that died on NCL wherein the 13 year old went into an allergic reaction after eating escargot & cheese. The ship's doctor did the right thing, injecting him with epinephrine, but it didn't work. The doctor then tried repeatedly to insert a breathing tube, but couldn't get it in...I guess from what the story says, after not being able to insert the breathing tube, an emergency trach should have been performed. The boy died right in front of his parent's eyes on the ship.

Like I said, I have no opinions on this whatsoever, just wondered what experiences anybody has had.

First off, I have never had an experience with any infirmary on any cruise ship, so I do not have any opinions regarding this at all. Just wanted to know if anybody had any experiences with cruise ship doctors.

Unfortunately, I cannot attach a link since this is an article in Good Housekeeping's Janaury 07 issue. The article is entitled Cruise Ship Danger.

The article starts off with an incident on AOS in February 05 with a husband and wife doing their regular anniversary cruise. The husband came down with a bad case of "heartburn". He visited the doctor on board who gave him some Zantac, but he felt worse the next day. When he went back in the next day, the nurse came out stating that the husband was asking for the wife. To make a long story short, they treated him for a heart attack when he flatlined (he was hooked up to an EKG) and then "paddled" him to get his heart started...even though he was completely awake at the time of the flatline. RCL then had them go to a Curaco hospital wherein they determined it was not a heart attack, but that the blood thining drugs that RCL gave him caused himto have a seizure and the EKG leads came undone, thus looking like a flatline.

When they arrived back on board, the ship's security told them that they had to disembark in Curaco as RCL couldn't take the risk of his heath on board (it was determined to be a case of heartburn per documentation given to RCL by the hospital in Curaco). There,RCL left them on the island to their own accord.

Another case on Carnival in 2005 involved a honeymooning couple wherein the bride tripped over the lip going into the bathroom. (I am very familiar with this "lip") Evidently, she "broke" her elbow (not determined yet). When the husband called the infirmary, he was told they don't open for another 8 hours, so the next morning they go down after she suffered a night of horrible pain. The doctor gave her a shot for pain and then made a plaster mold for her arm and put an Ace bandage on it. The doctor then told her she needed to visit the hospital in Cancun at next port. There an ambulance was waiting for them to supposedly take them to the hospital, and the couple thought, wow, this is great from Carnival...but Carnival did not arrange this ambulance. This ambulance, instead of taking them to the hospital, took them to a small clinic and the situation went down hill from there (the clinic said she needed surgery or have her arm amputated, then demanded money for x-rays taken or they couldn't leave - had to be cash!) The husband I guess repeatedly asked for a Carnival rep, but the clinic (spoke no English really) said Carnival had nothing to do with this and couldn't cut loose the wife. The husband was allowed to go back to the ship, pack their bags,and the ship left without them. The husband's father flew in 2 days later to pay this horrendous $1900 bill for x-rays.

There was another story about a small boy that died on NCL wherein the 13 year old went into an allergic reaction after eating escargot & cheese. The ship's doctor did the right thing, injecting him with epinephrine, but it didn't work. The doctor then tried repeatedly to insert a breathing tube, but couldn't get it in...I guess from what the story says, after not being able to insert the breathing tube, an emergency trach should have been performed. The boy died right in front of his parent's eyes on the ship.

Like I said, I have no opinions on this whatsoever, just wondered what experiences anybody has had.

If this is all true, I'm just shaking my head. I'm a nurse who has made my fair share of mistakes over the years, but I am a big believer in treating the patient, not the monitor. I bet any ER nurses who read this will also be in disbelief. "Paddling" a person in asystole?! (that's "flatline" for our audience). Caregivers assuming the EKG is correct and the patient is "flatlining" (asystole), in spite of the very important fact that he is conscious?! The blood thinning drugs gave him a seizure?! The leads came undone making it look like a flatline, but no one considered this even while dealing with a conscious patient? Maybe it happened, but I find this pretty remarkable.

I would be surprised if the events actually happened as reported, but assuming it's all true, not only was the doctor inept, but the nurses obviously weren't really all that on the ball either.

If the doctor couldn't intubate the patient, I doubt he would have been able to successfully perform a tracheotomy on this child.

That's a very horrible scenario.

In spite of these reports, I bet most ship docs are pretty proficient. I know I've met several on my cruises, and I specifically asked about their background. They all had heavy ER experience, and all of these situations are very very common to ER's. I can't imagine anyone with any ER experience not being able to differentiate asystole from dislodged leads or being unable to handle an anaphylactic allergic reaction.

I don't believe this level of competency is common. I think most of you should be able to have confidence in the medical personnel on the mainstream cruise lines, but that's just MHO, not based on any factual data.

I read the article and it does make you think. It did make the Dr.'s on cruise ships sound inadequate. I am not sure if I could or would trust them, but...I guess if we were put in that situation who else would you have to turn to?

But on the other note, having an ear infection is not that difficult to determine and certainly not that difficult to treat. I think after reading the stories I will keep all I read in mind and just hope for the best!

First of all, I don't doubt the article (that I have not seen), but let's be real. THese doctors are not only there for the passengers, but also a major factor is the CREW. They are considered one of the officers of the ship. I can't imagine that the Captain would allow an incapable officer under his command???? With that said, years ago we were lucky enough to dine at the ship's doctor's table for the week. We got to know him fairly well. I do know that back in England he had been a gynecologist before joining the cruiseline, which I would think might limit some of his knowledge of other medical problems. Great to have around in you delivered prematurely though. :)

I have a friend who is a doctor. When he finished all his school and resdiency requirement he did a took 1 year tour ofduty on a cruise ship to see part of the world. Today he is the Cheif epidemilogist in our state. What that means is he is the top doctor in the state that deals epidemics. He refers with the CDC on a regular basis.

So I really don't think all ship doctors can't past the test recuired to work in the states.

Don

If this is all true, I'm just shaking my head. I'm a nurse who has made my fair share of mistakes over the years, but I am a big believer in treating the patient, not the monitor. I bet any ER nurses who read this will also be in disbelief. "Paddling" a person in asystole?! (that's "flatline" for our audience). Caregivers assuming the EKG is correct and the patient is "flatlining" (asystole), in spite of the very important fact that he is conscious?! The blood thinning drugs gave him a seizure?! The leads came undone making it look like a flatline, but no one considered this even while dealing with a conscious patient? Maybe it happened, but I find this pretty remarkable.

I would be surprised if the events actually happened as reported, but assuming it's all true, not only was the doctor inept, but the nurses obviously weren't really all that on the ball either.

If the doctor couldn't intubate the patient, I doubt he would have been able to successfully perform a tracheotomy on this child.

That's a very horrible scenario.

In spite of these reports, I bet most ship docs are pretty proficient. I know I've met several on my cruises, and I specifically asked about their background. They all had heavy ER experience, and all of these situations are very very common to ER's. I can't imagine anyone with any ER experience not being able to differentiate asystole from dislodged leads or being unable to handle an anaphylactic allergic reaction.

I don't believe this level of competency is common. I think most of you should be able to have confidence in the medical personnel on the mainstream cruise lines, but that's just MHO, not based on any factual data.

I agree, I can't believe this happened as reported. Someone had to notice the patient was awake and not flatlining.

ER/Trauma RN here!! What blood thinning med??? Zantac?? And only in hollywood is it called a tracheotomy! It's actually called a cricothyrotomy and with all the new adjunt equipment available (ie combi tubes, and scopes) they are a thing of the past!! That is a magazine getting info from the "Experts" that is some GP that hasn't seen a hospital, let alone an ER in years!! Even shows like ER are pretty up to date with the newer procedures and equipment!!

I have worked on cruise ships doing hemodialysis, and have been in the infirmaries, and most of RCCI's medical staff are europeans, alot being from the UK or the skandonavian(sp) countries, and yes all the ones I have encountered were er/trauma trained!!

I'll bet that most doctors on ships are quite well qualified to be there. Thank goodness I've never needed one at sea, but if I did, I'd be darn glad to see whoever was wearing the white coat that day. You know the old saying "any port in a storm"

Cruise ship job descriptions and requirements:

Doctor: US$ 4,800 – 7,000 per month. Oversees the entire shipboard medical facilities, treatment mostly to passengers and sometimes crew. Current license, extensive experience with cardiac and primary care, trauma, internal, and emergency medicine required. Diploma from an accredited medical school and fluent English Language skills required.

Nurse: US$ 2,800 – 3,200 per month. Requires background in trauma care or accident and emergency treatment, preferably in an ER/ICU. Diploma from accredited nursing school with a minimum of two years recent hospital experience required. Certified nurse.

I'll bet that most doctors on ships are quite well qualified to be there. Thank goodness I've never needed one at sea, but if I did, I'd be darn glad to see whoever was wearing the white coat that day. You know the old saying "any port in a storm"

I agree............some doctor is better than no doctor at all.........especially in the middle of a heart attack or something like that.

Loved the Headline.............CRUISE SHIP DANGER.............

Reminded me of some CC thread headlines:) I'm sure that sold several hunderd copies............

Archived