Wheel chair question

sviramo

We are traveling on the Crown in a couple of weeks and my DH just broke his foot and is not suppose to walk on it for a couple of weeks. At times the crutches just get to be tiring so we were wondering if the Crown has wheel chairs on board that we could borrow, if needed. Does anyone have this information? We are trying to sort out all the details now that DH is having trouble getting around. We discussed canceling because the cruise is covered under insurance but the airfare is not and since he can't work anyways sitting on the balcony in the Caribbean will be a much needed change from the living room.

Any info on the wheel chair would be appreciated.

Have your TA arrange for a wheelchair onboard as well as wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. You can rent it for the length of your cruise. They'll meet you at the door to the pier and take you right through the cruise check-in. There is a special check-in line for those needing assistance and wheelchairs are boarded along with the Platinum, Elite and Suite passengers. The dock people cannot board the ship so that there will be a slight delay right at the gangway as ship's crew takes over the wheelchair. Princess will also deliver a packet to your cabin with tips and a list of tours that are designed for those who don't want to or can't walk distances or over uneven ground. For disembarkation, they'll tell you which lounge or area to go to where they'll have crew ready to disembark you when they call your color. The dock people will take you through Immigration, to baggage claim and right out the door.

Also, notify your airline that you will need wheelchair assistance -- you'll find that it really expedites check-in and security which if it's a long line, can be exhausting and uncomfortable for someone on crutches. When you check in, try to get bulkhead seats. He'll be able to put his foot up during the flight which will be more comfortable for him. The airlines save the bulkhead seats for cases such as this so it doesn't hurt to have it on your booking that you'll need assistance.

Thanks for the information. On Monday, we will contact our TA and the airlines to give them the information. I knew that someone on these boards would be able to us out.
I feel your pain, indirectly. My daughter severely broke her leg and ankle in May 2005 and has been on and off crutches since then. (Three months with the original break and recuperation, another two months last February post-operation to remove the screws, and most recently, since before Thanksgiving due to a fracture of the tibia where the screws were.) She's been on a couple of cruises with me since then and we're off to the Dominican Republic on the 24th. She goes to the doctor tomorrow and is hoping and praying she's off the crutches but still with the boot. She lives in the mountains in way northern New Hampshire and is ready to toss the crutches off the nearest cliff. So, I've been through this several times with her. She hasn't needed a wheelchair while on the cruise but she did as little walking as possible.

Archived