12-11 Esctacy review- with 4 kids

Brianinidaho

Went on the 5 day Ecstacy out of Galveston with stops in Progresso and Cozumel. We had our 4 boys, ages 12,11,7,5, and my wife’s parents, which put 4 to a room in cabins 3 194 and 186, which are just separated by 1 room. I will try to add some info I did not see in other reviews, especially with info that might help families.

First, it was a great cruise and there were many things that were better than other ships we had been on. There are also other things different or lacking. We had a great time and glad we went.

Pre-cruise/Embarkation. We flew into HIA/Bush the night before and were glad since the flight was delayed (same day flying can cause missed boats). Residence Inn was nice but had to wait more than 1 hour for shuttle. We had shopped around and with 8 decided to use LJ Cromier with Texas Cruise Ship Shuttle at 866-542-3155 (info@CruiseShipShuttle.com) It was $165 each way for 8 people, plus tip. Note the ship is cheap, but getting the 90 minutes to the pier can make up for the price discounts! LJ did a great job. Picked us up at the hotel and gave us a brief tour of Galveston. We had not been there, and it is patterned in part like New Orleans. Highly recommend LJ. He told us about 80% of folks who cruise out of Galveston are from Texas.

Apparently the ship was late getting in due to fog so Carnival was late getting people checked in, at least that is what we were told. Arrived about 11:15 and was on board about 12:45. Seemed longer with 4 kids in tow. As we walked on they said our rooms were not ready, but we went there and they were… so we dropped off our valuables and carry-ons.

Room. First there is a flat screen TV but if there are the white, yellow, and red input jacks (for ipod, gaming systems) they are impossible to get to as our TV was secure in place and access was not possible to the back of the TV. In suites I see you can get to the plugs.. in cabins you can’t. That is ok, as they had both boomerang and Cartoon Network, which kept the younger ones busy for those times we were getting ready. They had 2 or 3 Denver channels, 3 movie channels (1 youth oriented). Movies like Just Friends, 8 below, Fast and Furious 2, End Game were on continuously but changed each day. There was not a bridge cam or a channel that showed a map of the ships location or channels with different genres of music, as on other ships. The TV does have a wake alarm feature, which we used on port days. The phone has a wake up service also.

There is only one outlet in this cabin, so bring a power strip if you have things to charge. The bathroom had one outlet that only works with the light on. Had a nice dish of samples. But no gum. Gum is not sold on board we were told. Probably too much work to clean up when people don’t dispose of it properly. Soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower, but no hair dryer in the room.

The new “comfort” bed was very nice! They give you an card to order the linens near the end of the cruise. Note: unlike other ships, you have a sign and sail card PLUS a room key. The room key is a plastic card with holes in it. Your S/S card is not your room key.

In our cabin with 4 people, the main bed ran parallel to the window, and the two uppers ran perpendicular to the windows, one above our head and the other above our feet. It was cozy but the room worked for us.

After the muster drill we put our life jackets above the closet (a small space) to give us more room.

MUSTER DRILL was different. After meeting inside and the 20 minute talk, they took everyone outside to their stations. Turned into a 45 minute experience which got a little long for the little ones. They did this as the ship left port. It was extremely foggy the entire first day going out.

CELL PHONES: Our T-Mobile and Alltell cell phones had no signal from the ship, but other carriers are hooked up with Carnival to provide service the entire cruise. International roaming rates apply. In Progresso our T-Mobile worked. It is prepaid and went through the minutes 10 times faster or more than in the USA. Calls from the cabin phone are 6.99 a minute.

INTERNET CAFÉ: Had 10 or so stations. As you log on you can choose per minute billing (75 each) or up to 1 hour package (40/ per minute). Billed to your S/S. Speed was ok, never a line to use.

POOL and SLIDE: All pools used salt water. The slide was open part of the time. Kids had to be 48 inches tall to use and know how to swim as it outlets in 5 feet deep water or so. There were workers at top and bottom regulating the flow of kids.

MINTURE GOLF/SPORTS: They have a very nice mini golf set up. You check out your equipment by the pool at the towel station with your S/S card. Big fines for no returns. You also get paddle tennis equipment and basketballs here. The hoops rim was loose and bent, but they have a half court and it is netted around the sides which saves running after the ball! They have a netted volleyball court next to the hoops.

KIDS CLUB: If there was a need for improvement, it was here. Not in the program but in the signing in and out. It was a 20-30 minute process most days, so it seemed. In the youngest group 2-5, there was often a long line of parents to check in or out. The activities were good, a little too much TV and movie time during the day I felt. Unlike the rest of the crew, we got the impression a few Camp Carnival staff did not want to be there. Small tip this cruise.

If you have kids in the younger group you are given a pager in case they need you. This is a great tool if other people need you (spouse, other kids, etc.). From any phone, you dial 34 and instructions tell you to dial the page # (3 digits on the pager) then your call back number. Don’t dial 33, that is the bridge. 34 is the paging system. I’d bet no one has ever posted this info on any board before… but I guess I am a techno kind of guy.

They do feed the kids the three nights in the middle, which is nice!

PROGRESSO. Chichen Itza is absolutely mindblowing. I have been to ruins in Israel, Belize, England, Tulum Mexico, etc.. and was taken back here. A must see. Carnival wanted $79 a person, for 8 that added up to a couple of payments on a hummer! Since the pier is sooo long I figured there would not be any non-ship vendors and I would have to take my group into town to find a cheaper tour. Not so. As you leave the ship, there are several buildings with shops. One is a rent a car. A van was $175 for the day. As we got closer to the exit there was a tour operator stand that had signs for different tours. For up to 12 people a ride to and from was just $190, then entrance and food on your own. We took it! Admission was $8 per person, kids free. Tour guides were available for hire for like $20.

I would strongly recommend DO NOT TRY TO drive this far by yourself in a rental car. I’ve rented cars in Mexico and other countries, but would never try to drive this far in a rental. I noticed the signs were confusing to get there (I guess you could just follow the tour busses and hope you do not get separated).

Going there I thought we would last 1-2 hours after the long ride but we could have spent several days. It is that good. On a limited schedule, I would first study the display outside the main gate (after you buy your ticket) that shows the layout of the ruins. I would then (1) go to the main temple and take pictures, etc., (2) then go to the observatory (as you come in, it is toward the right as you look at the temple after you come into the main area… note: just look for the long row of vendors.. they curve to the right and go down toward the observatory) and then (3) go back by the main temple and head towards the left to the ball court. These are the 3 main highlights, at least as we figured. These three should take all the time you have.

COZUMEL. Went to the old reliable Paradise Beach. It was $24 down for 8 people and $28 return by taxi. No gypsy taxi, bus, or other way we could find. It is a great beach. Free, but they ask you buy food, drinks. Our waiter was way pushy to a point it was annoying. For $9 the kids bought an activity pass. Well worth it.

Across from the taxi station is a building that has international calling and internet. 75/ minute to call home to check messages, etc.

THE SHIP: It was clean and remodeled. It was built in an era where decks were known more by there name (lido, promenade) than the floor number, so there are not numbers in the carpets as you get out of the elevator as on some ships. Took a little to get use to.

FOOD: We felt the food was above average, especially the meat served in the dinning room. It was nothing super, but the filet was the best we have had at sea. We also had the very best wait staff we have ever had … hopefully you will have table 261 in the Song! 24 hour ice cream (no toppings though) and 24 hour pizza are always a big plus.

SEA: The waters were smooth and the colors enjoyable. As we left Cozumel we got ready for dinner (early) and just as we went to the dinning room noticed we were passing Cancun (all lit up at night). We asked a couple near a window in the dinning to open the curtains, which they did, and we enjoyed the miles of lights from Cancun. Stunning.

Also, the last night, unlike other cruises we have been on, we passed by dozens of oil rigs, all lit up like ships Dozens dotted the dark sea. Neat to see.

SHOWS: The first show was so-so as we had seen it on the Paradise the year before, or a similar show. The EXTREME COUNTRY was better than expected (we are not country music fans… in fact, my kid wants to buy that shirt that says “country plus rap equals crap) but you got to see this amazing show. Very first class and moving. If you do one thing, see this show. I felt it was that good.

Last night was great also. Because it is the Christmas season, they had a special Christmas program at 5 pm the last day that was top notch. It was the normal dancers and singers from the other shows, and it was great. Then they had the different Camp Carnival age groups participate with songs up on stage, then at the end Santa came. Very nice touch, Carnival!

The last show was a comedian/juggler and a comedian/magician. They were above average and both me and my 11 year old were called up to participate at different times. We were sitting on the front row.

DISEMBARKATION: This took a while. We pulled into a very foggy Galveston on time. The self carrying luggage began about 8 or 830 and did not end until 10. They called the first colors (ours) at 10 am. We left our room at 9 which is as late as they ask you to, and most of the breakfast was being taken down. Fine, we still found food. We got in line about 10:20 to get off the ship, and the lines were very long. Finally got our bags, another long line for customs, and out to the van by 1135. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes! The lady behind us missed her flight. We made our 3 pm flight, but I would not book earlier than 2 pm unless this was just an unusual experience.

Overall, we had a great time, lines and all. We felt there was great service, above average food, and above average shows. We chose this cruise because of the literary and enjoyed Progresso tremendously.

My husband and I sail on Dec. 21 and while it is thierd time out of Galveston, it will be the first on this ship. You touched on a lot of points of interest. One quick question ----did you try the sushi- and how was it ?

My father in law tried sushi at dinner (appetizer) and said it was very good. They had other sushi around we did not have but assume it was as good as the dinning room offering. Have a nice cruise.

Brian

DISEMBARKATION: This took a while. We pulled into a very foggy Galveston on time. The self carrying luggage began about 8 or 830 and did not end until 10. They called the first colors (ours) at 10 am. We left our room at 9 which is as late as they ask you to, and most of the breakfast was being taken down. Fine, we still found food. We got in line about 10:20 to get off the ship, and the lines were very long. Finally got our bags, another long line for customs, and out to the van by 1135. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes! The lady behind us missed her flight. We made our 3 pm flight, but I would not book earlier than 2 pm unless this was just an unusual experience.

Overall, we had a great time, lines and all. We felt there was great service, above average food, and above average shows. We chose this cruise because of the literary and enjoyed Progresso tremendously.

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Thanks for the review! I can't wait for Jan. 22 to be here!:D

Do you think it will be better to just wait for them to call your color vs. self carry?

I won't be in a hurry to leave the ship, but from what I've read on other reviews is that the self disembarkation isn't very organized...

based on our experience, if you have time, just wait until it is all over.... wait on the ship until 11 or so, and be the last one through..

It was unorganized when we left... and self luggage was before... This was the weakest link of the cruise.

Just be last off the ship... your bags will be easy to find!

Thank you so much for the informative review. My family and I are sailing on the Ecstasy on Dec 25. This will be our first time cruising with our children.

I have a few questions regarding cruising with your boys please:

Did you take your 5 year old to dine with you in the dining room? I have a 4 year old that I am unsure if she will behave during dinner. I was thinking of taking her to Camp Carnival in the middle of dinner, however I don't think that will work now due to the wait time to sign her in.

Did your 12 year old enjoy the cruise? Did he spend most of his time with Camp Carnival or with you?

Thanks!:)

Thank you so much for the informative review. My family and I are sailing on the Ecstasy on Dec 25. This will be our first time cruising with our children.

I have a few questions regarding cruising with your boys please:

Did you take your 5 year old to dine with you in the dining room? I have a 4 year old that I am unsure if she will behave during dinner. I was thinking of taking her to Camp Carnival in the middle of dinner, however I don't think that will work now due to the wait time to sign her in.

Did your 12 year old enjoy the cruise? Did he spend most of his time with Camp Carnival or with you?

Thanks!:)

The kids club is not open the first night and the last during dinner, so we decided to bring our 5 and 7 year olds to the dinning room. They did ok.. they ordered off the kids menu and were done in half the time as we were. They have a menu with games and stuff. The other nights camp carnival feeds them if you want.

12 yr felt better with his 11 yr brother.. Camp C would let the 12 go down with the 11 yr olds but would not let the 11 go up to the 12s. So he spent most of his time down wiht the 11 year olds...

I doubt he had any interest in hanging out with us reading or going to adult activities (we did not go, but would say stuff to him like.. oh, the art auction looks good, do you want to go?) (we wanted time alone, not a 3 some with a kid or two in tow).

And they all loved the camp C.

Hope that helps

Very helpful. Great idea about the art auction!

I forgot to ask, did you have to tender in Cozumel? If so, how long did it take to get off the boat and back on? We are also planning on going to Paradise Beach.

Thanks!!

Very helpful. Great idea about the art auction!

I forgot to ask, did you have to tender in Cozumel? If so, how long did it take to get off the boat and back on? We are also planning on going to Paradise Beach.

Thanks!!

We did tender... there were 7 ships their that day... 3 docked, 4 tendered. There was a rush for the first hour or two. After that roughly 30 minutes from the time we got a group number to the time we were at the pier. They explain the group number scheme that morning in the capers.

Archived