List of Things to Pack, compiled from other threads...

gizmo

[b]I copied this from the X board. Take a look at the posts over there. LOL.:D [/b]
[b]Feel free to add to the list.[/b]

I'm sorry to do this to you guys, but I have a few moments and am feeling silly. The following is a list of "essential" items to bring on your cruise. I compiled it from other threads and boards.

Zip lock bags
duct tape
hi-lighter pens
collapsible water bottles
hand sanitizer
lavender oil
room fresheners
insulated cup holders
Benedryl gel (sic)
night light
small flashlight
bungee cords
insulated cups
blender (so we can make our own smoothies in our cabin)
collapsible cooler
post-ems notes
clear hanging shoe bags
extension cord
power strip
hair dryer
back pack
disposable & waterproof camera
first aid kit
medicine
bonine
sunscreen
aloe vera gel
lotion
hanging cosmetic/shaving kits
full size but plastic blender
inexpensive door decoration to make recognizing our door easier
putty to attach door decoration
Downy Wrinkle Release
small travel steamer
lots of plastic clothes hangers
clothes pins
magnet printer paper
suction cup hooks
antihistamines
Tums or Rolaids
a different colored highlighter for each member of your room
roll of quarters (used in laundry room)
binoculars
sharpie pen
alcohol wipes (clean the phone,the door handles,the TV remote,the bathroom cabinet door handles)
Colored duct tape
curling iron
plastic badge holder with a neck lanyard
alarm clock
preprinted address labels for friends & family to whom I plan to send postcards
Business cards we've printed with our names and email address
travel size can of Lysol
Woolite
Lomotil for Aztec two-step [dangerous advice if you have bacterial diarrhea]
Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)
Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony)
Small plastic basket
emergency whistle
pants hanger
differant colored clothes hangers, if possible, for each seperate person who will be in a cabin
a little plastic thingy that usually comes with a loaf of bread

.... and a dumptruck to carry it all in.

Do people really need this stuff to take a vacation, or are some cruisers certifiably insane?

:D LOL

A dumptruck is right! :rolleyes:

Was this really a serious list or was the person just having some fun.! :eek:

I am sure they forgot a few things. Anyone like to add to the list?

Here is my take on these items:

Zip lock bags - yes, these are actually handy
duct tape - nope, nobody wants your sticky goo all over the cabin
hi-lighter pens - useful
collapsible water bottles - don't care if it collapses, but handy for shore
hand sanitizer - yep
lavender oil - nope
room fresheners - nope
insulated cup holders - nope, it's only 10 feet to the Lido, burn a calorie
Benedryl gel (sic) - or aloe, you will get sunburned
night light - nope, just leave the bathroom light on
small flashlight - always good in an emergency
bungee cords - nope, leave them on the garbage cans
insulated cups - nope (again)
blender (so we can make our own smoothies in our cabin) - nope, go out and have fun...and who wants to wash the blender anyway
collapsible cooler - nope
post-ems notes - yes
clear hanging shoe bags - nope
extension cord - nope
power strip - nope
hair dryer - they have one, but if you are picky about yours
back pack - yes, or a big tote bag for shore
disposable & waterproof camera - yes!!
first aid kit - band aids and neosporin are nice
medicine - of course
bonine - yes!!
sunscreen - yes, lots of it
aloe vera gel - yes
lotion - yes
hanging cosmetic/shaving kits - if you have one
full size but plastic blender - No, get out of your cabin and enjoy the ship
inexpensive door decoration to make recognizing our door easier - they have numbers on the door for that
putty to attach door decoration - no
Downy Wrinkle Release - no
small travel steamer - no
lots of plastic clothes hangers - no there are plenty of hangers
clothes pins - no (are you doing laundry?)
magnet printer paper - no
suction cup hooks - no
antihistamines - maybe
Tums or Rolaids - maybe
a different colored highlighter for each member of your room - no
roll of quarters (used in laundry room) - pack enough clothes so you don't spend your vacation doing laundry
binoculars - maybe
sharpie pen - no
alcohol wipes (clean the phone,the door handles,the TV remote,the bathroom cabinet door handles) - no, the ship is very clean, probably cleaner than your house
Colored duct tape - no
curling iron - yes, if you want curls
plastic badge holder with a neck lanyard - yes, or a little tiny purse on a string
alarm clock - YES, preferably one that lights up the clock
preprinted address labels for friends & family to whom I plan to send postcards - only if you are on a long cruise or you will get home before they do
Business cards we've printed with our names and email address - if you like to
travel size can of Lysol - no
Woolite - no
Lomotil for Aztec two-step [dangerous advice if you have bacterial diarrhea] - No
Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill) - YES, preferably one with a mister, also good in those sweltering tenders
Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony) - no, nobody wants to see your laundry drying
Small plastic basket - no, for what?
emergency whistle - no, your life jacket has one of those already
pants hanger - no
differant colored clothes hangers, if possible, for each seperate person who will be in a cabin - you've got to be kidding
a little plastic thingy that usually comes with a loaf of bread - hahahaha

You won't need most of the things beyond the obvious. Make your life easier and bring less.

[QUOTE]extension cord - nope
power strip - nope[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes on one or both of those ... though combining them together is better. I have a very small 4 socket power-bar with extension line that allows me to extend the power ability of the one little plug in the room geared to run US power cycles. This is important for: (1) charging camera batteries, (2) powering laptop for photo-downloads, etc., (3) travel-clock or micro shortwave radio (I have a combined unit ... real small), (4) any other power needs one might need.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your note on each line.
I would add: clothing. :)

Here's my packing list for a 10+ day cruise:

[b]Clothing:[/b]

[u]Formal and Informal (packed)[/u]
Tuxedo
White Dinner Jacket (if 14+ days)
Formal Shirt(s)
Ties, cummerbund, shirt studs, cufflinks, formal vest
Dark grey business suit
White dress shirt and 2 ties
black clergy shirt, neckband collar, clerical vest,
3 pair of black gradient compression socks

[u]Informals (to be worn on the plane)[/u]
Black Sport Coat
Shirt (1 blue button down, with optional extra tie)
Black dress shoes and 1 pair gradient compression socks
Grey Slacks and belt
Wrist watch

[u]Casual Evening Clothing[/u]
3 polo shirts,
2 silk print shirts
1 Hawaiian shirt
3 pair of nice Dockers
Casual shoes
3 pair of black gradient compression socks

[u]Daytime Wear (ship and shore)[/u]
3 daytime polo shirts
3 t-shirts
1 pair jeans
2 pair day-time slacks (older dockers)
Swim wear (2)
Workout wear (sweatpants and sweatshirts)
Tennis shoes and 2 pair white gradient compression socks

[u]Other Clothing and Related Items[/u]
10 pair of undies (shorts and undershirts)
Handkerchiefs
Hanging Laundry bag
Collapsable hanging shoe shelf
Small emergency tailor kit
Spare pair of eye glasses, with cleaning supplies
Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

[b]Stuff:[/b]

iPod
Swiss Army Knife
Travel Clock/Shortwave
Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord
Prescriptions and motion medicines (Scopolamine)
Sun tan lotion
Tums
Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines
Small Flashlight
Laptop
Digital camera(s) and assorted accessories
Video camera and blank tape
Binoculars
Publications to give to ship's library
Book or two to read
Deck of playing cards
Roll of coins for self-service laundry (mostly for undies and quick cleans. I prefer to pay ship's laundry to do it for me)
Prepared tip envelopes (unsealed) with money already in them
Travel documents
Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

What have I forgotten?

Esme,

They were having fun. The original poster found all these things from reading these boards. Some of the posts over on the Celebrity are really funnny.

I would like to add:

Christmas lights to decorate the verandah.

Blow up Palm Tree.

Kiddie pool

[quote name='gizmo']Esme,

They were having fun. The original poster found all these things from reading these boards. Some of the posts over on the Celebrity are really funnny.

I would like to add:

Christmas lights to decorate the verandah.

Blow up Palm Tree.

Kiddie pool[/QUOTE]

Gizmo - I actually have seen people bring Christmas lights and small collapsable Christmas trees to the ship when we were on board for the holidays. :rolleyes:

Rev- you are so cool. I dont think that there are very many people who would have BOTH an Ipod and gradient pressure socks on their list !
Good idea on the power strip! I will do that.
I also tend to bring tide in zip lock bags, whether or not they have an onboard laundry. They dont spill, its just a one way trip with them since they get used. I can use them for hand laundr or in the ships laundrymat (i there is one). How many times they ships is out or the machine is broken ! Then its traipsing floor to floor. Same reason I bring a roll of quarters. Makes the job go very fast ~
I also like ziplocks. i good way to keep things together and dry. Also at times I bring a snack ashore for the kids. (Yes I know about the prohibition on fruits and vegetables...)
I am going in the WESTERDAM a week from FRIDAY !

[quote name='Esme']Gizmo - I actually have seen people bring Christmas lights and small collapsable Christmas trees to the ship when we were on board for the holidays. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I have never see the lights but I have read about them many times along with the Christmas trees. In most cases the lights were being hauled along outside of the Christmas season and being used for pure decoration.

I am going to get myself one of those blow up Palm Trees and maybe I can find some Pink Flamingoes to go with it! :D

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=magenta]We have taken a few Christmas cruises.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]And yes, I did pack a small collapsable tree, unbreakable ornaments, lights, and icicles.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff00ff]Just another thing that power bar comes in handy for.[/color][/font]
:D

[QUOTE]Is your alram/s'wave radio a Grundig by any chance? If so, how do you like it?
Add to list throwaway rain coat from $ store.[/QUOTE]

Yes ... it's similar to the Grundig YB550PE. I bought it 3 years ago for about $150 for use during a mission trip to Russia and for cruising. It had excellent reception on all bands and is great for listening to host-country radio as well as stations in the USA.

Excellent thought regarding the throwaway raincoat. My parents have ponchos that are like that, but they're not throw-away.

Hey ... I forgot to list my travel umbrella! :) It's always in my large bag, so I forget about it being packed!!! :)

I always take 2 small umbrella's and those dry cleaning cloths. We having a saying since my hubby is Italian when he eats he get Italian medals. Well those cloths do help on his tux or shirts.

[QUOTE]Rev- you are so cool. I dont think that there are very many people who would have BOTH an Ipod and gradient pressure socks on their list![/QUOTE]

:D Thank you! I love my iPod ... from music to audio books ... it's amazing the number of hours of listening joy I can load into that little unit. Since my parents travel more than I do, I got them one for Christmas last year with a dual-person headphone jack adapter. They love it, and have a Big Band playlist that must run for 20 hours, plus another 20 hours of classical music ... and it's not 1/4 filled.

As for gradient compression socks ... sadly, I have to wear them to control my PTS (Post-Thrombotic Syndrome). 3 years out from having nearly died from a very VERY critical Deep Vein Thrombosis and I still have complications from the damage generated in my right leg's superficial and deep venus system. Actually, my doctor says I'd probably be okay without the socks, but he does prefer that I continue to wear them -- and they are so much more comfortable when traveling than regular socks. Based upon most studies, he says I should wear them for at least another 2 years and then reduce to lower-compression for life-long maintenance.

Prior to my DVT I, like my mother, suffered from venus insufficiency in my lower legs ... my feet would swell over the course of a day and they would ache, especially after a long Sunday on my feet. Now that I always wear compression socks I never have that problem ... yes, that's right, even after being on my feet all day Sunday my feet do not hurt. Likewise, they don't ache even after sitting on a plane, and in airports, for 10 hours.

Enjoy the Westerdam! I wish I were boarder her that soon!

[QUOTE]Don't gorget to pack the most important item. Your Travel Docs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Dick. I actually included my travel documents in my list. :) Second from the bottom, just after tip envelopes and right before money.

[QUOTE]A swiss army knife ???
How do you get it past security? <eek>[/QUOTE]

In your checked luggage. What's important there is not so much the knife as all the other tools that come with it (like the Corkscrew)! ;)

Are the compression socks the kind they put on you in the hospital after surgery and have a hole in the bottom (at least the hospital ones do)? We, DW and I, have been thinking about wearing something similar on the long flight from Atlanta to London next week. Where do you purchase these type socks?
Country music, eh? You don't by chance happen to have a little red around your neck?? (there should be a smiley here).
BTW I thought when you said Ipod you were referring to a monopod for keeping your camera steady.

My teens want to take a Cubs banner to decorate their balcony! I always bring a small stain stick. I send the laundry out, but take care of the stains that somehow show up. I take clothespins to keep the drapes shut in the cabin & hotel room. They never seem to close all the way. Money, money, and more money (or credit cards with big limits). Small address book with email addresses to keep in touch at home (my Mom is in hospice). My own very small down travel pillow with soft colored pillowcase. I do bring a room deodorizer (in an island scent) in case the folks before us smoked. It helps a little.

[QUOTE]Are the compression socks the kind they put on you in the hospital after surgery and have a hole in the bottom (at least the hospital ones do)? We, DW and I, have been thinking about wearing something similar on the long flight from Atlanta to London next week. Where do you purchase these type socks?[/QUOTE]

I wear knee-high Gradient Compression socks made by Jobst and called "Medical Legwear forMen" at a compression of 30-40 mmHg. You will need to be measured to make sure you get the right size for your legs. The ones I wear don't have a hole in the bottom ... but you can get open-toed versions of these compression stockings. I puchase them at a local pharmacy. You can order them over the internet, too. For info on Jobst products, check their website:

[URL=http://www.jobst-usa.com/]Jobst-USA.com[/URL]

[QUOTE]Country music, eh? You don't by chance happen to have a little red around your neck?? (there should be a smiley here).[/QUOTE]

I think you misread something. Country music nauseates me. :) I prefer classical music, some Big Band, Jazz, and some pop and rock (depending upon the group).

[QUOTE]BTW I thought when you said Ipod you were referring to a monopod for keeping your camera steady.[/QUOTE]

No ... an iPod is an mp3 music player produced by Apple Computers ... it's the best selling mp3 player on the planet. :) And, yes, it can be interfaced and used with PCs.

[quote name='revneal']Otherwise, I mostly agree with your note on each line.
I would add: clothing. :)[/QUOTE] OOOOH, CLOTHING?? Well, okay, if you insist! :p

My brother, his wife, and my mom all called me the Girl Scout (well, I was a leader!) when I packed for our trip to Hawaii in 10/03. I was the only one to buy wristbands before the trip, and ended up giving them to my SIL coz she was the one who got sick first. My brother ended up buying me a pair on the trip for about $5.00 more! :eek: Yeah, make fun'o'me NOW will ya!?! ;) I also brought a small 'medicine' cabinet with me--pills for aches/pains, upset stomachs (the blister packs are awesome!), band-aids, etc.

Seriously though, I did bring clothespins which helped in the bathroom when we hung up our lingerie, and our mesh sponges. Both my mom and I are vertically challenged (I'm taller at 5'2.5") so the laundry line across the bathtub didn't interfere with our bathing.

We had handheld flashlights--actually, keychain flashlights which helped. I also brought earplugs and an eyemask, since I usually sleep with them at home.

Last time I brought a multiplug receptacle, but it didn't fit into the outlets, so this time I'm packing a powerstrip instead. I have my PDA, Camera charger, and phone to power up.

Now all I have to do is start packing my things, coz we fly to Seattle tomorrow! :eek:

Archived