This Christmas in GC HELP!

Travelwiser13

I'm turning to CC since reading all these messages on the various boards I know I'm sure to get some good thoughts.

This is our situation/dilemma:

We will be on GC the day after Christmas, which apparently it seems 8-10 other ships will be as well. This is the family's first ever cruise ( I have done a short one before on my own years ago). The family consists of mother (58), MILTB (63), fiance (45), self (39), nephew (17), daugheter #1 (15), daughter #2 (9), son (8).

The thought was that we wanted to see the Butterfly Farm, blow holes, Hell, QE Gardens, and a lighthouse (s) if there are any. No snorkeling or diving or *active* things as we are limited by ages or abilities by one or another in the family.

It seems as though transportation is going to be a problem since there are so many ships in port that day. There are no rentals available. The bus/taxi systems will be heavily burdened (based on reading here). The places we'd like to go (with the exception of the Butterfly Farm) are all not within walking distance. Since we've never been on a cruise let alone to GC before I'd hate to see everyone end up doing nothing but just walking around town. We aren't big shoppers either.

Any suggestions? Am I misperceiving the realty of just how busy GC is going to really be on that day? We did think of taking the Atlantis adventure (some of us anyway) as well. It just seemed a bit expensive.

You all give such great advice and I'm down to the wire now.

Thanks.:)

Clarification.... None of those are within easy walking distance. The Butterfly Farm is about 3 miles from the docks.

The only lighthouse on Grand Cayman is in Breakers, and has been converted to a rather nice restaurant named simply The Lighthouse.

Blowholes are only good in some, rather limited conditions.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd book early. It's going to be a zoo with that many ships in port.

We drove past the blowholes several times (while we were there for the week this past January), and never once did we see water being blown out. The condidions must not have been right, so I don't know that I'd plan a trip around that.

Too bad you couldn't have rented a vehicle. That's really the best way to see most of the island. Did you try Andy's? That's who we used when we were there.

You could book an island tour (we did ours through the ship for our first visit there). Basically, you go to Hell, the turtle farm, and around George Town. While we were there, we saw the trolley the oposite direction from George Town (away from 7MB), but I don't know how far away from town they go (and I don't know how to book it).

If you think you want to do the Atlantis, book it early. We tried to book it on a Sunday, for later in the week, but they were completely booked up.

Here's a website that someone on CC posted. This company offers "all island tour" so this may be something you're interested in. IMO, with that many ships in port, I'd get as far away from the port area as possible. We really loved the East End, Bodden Town, and Savannah. Even Rum Point was beautiful (so much more tropical than George Town) even though RP was packed the day we were there.

http://www.stingraycabandtours.com/prices.htm

The trick is to plan ahead. We love Grand Cayman. It's a nice, clean, safe island. We loved our time there and are going back for another week (next month). :)

Have a good time...

Thank you for the information. I wanted to plan early but trying to get the mothers to commit to what they'd like was like trying to herd cats. :rolleyes: I guess they will now be stuck with what ever may or may not be available like it or not! Not meaning to sound mean to them or anything but I warned them we needed to book early.

I doubt there will be anything available through the ship either as there wasn't almost from the beginning of booking trip. There was the first 2 days and then all excursions were yanked off the web page. When I contacted the cruiseline about this they said they were *working with the vendors* to get them. What ever that meant and that they would be up by Nov 24th. That never happened. I suspect there just isn't anything available through the cruiseline.

I have been looking to book directly and did look at the tour company as well as other companies. I guess, again, they are going to be stuck since they wanted to be non-committal. The kids will be happy with any near-by beach that they can swim at.

Thanks again!:)

The big problem is allowing that many ships in port. They are overloading the island. It's a mistake, IMO. But I'm sure the port fees and tourists are needed, but it's too bad they can't limit the number of ships per day. I read where they recently said they were only going to allow 9500 or so cruise ship passengers per day. I'm not sure how they think they are sticking to this, because with 7-10 ships, and most of them holding at least 2,000 people, they've gone way over that number.

You could always go to Sea Grape, or Royal Palms. Both would require a cab ride, but Royal Palms is closer. They both offer chair rental, food, restrooms, and water toy rental. Neither charge an entrance fee. You could always plop your towels down on the sand.

I know it's hard to get everyone on the same page prior to a cruise, and especially hard to get everyone to decide what they want to do.

Ok, now it's settled. I'm sleeping in or going back to sleep. Kids can all go to camp carnival. The *moms* can go do what ever it is moms can do or do best in or out of their rooms and fiance and I will just stay in our room and have alone time! ;) lol

Seriously, thanks for the tips. A holiday on top of a holiday on top of a busy port day. Does it get any better? lol I think I've got me an excuse now to *do nothing* while still doing something enjoyable. :p Maybe the teenagers might be the only ones to balk at this in the end but perhaps their *camp* will have something that caught their attention and it won't matter after all anyway.

I'm resigned to no longer stress over this! What will be will be ......or not.:cool:

Please pass a warm cup of tea my way as I'm taking a break. lol

4 days away

We were in GC week before last and there were a lot of ships. We stayed in town instead of doing an excursion. It didn't get crowded until later in the afternoon when everyone returned from excursions. We went to a place called Paradise on the water. It's within walking distance from the ship. It's a restaurant/bar with indoor & outdoor (covered) seating & tables. They also rent snorkling equipment. You can snorkle right there & there are a lot of fish & a coral reef. DH brought his snorkling equipment & since we were eating & drinking there, there was no charge to snorkle. We couldn't believe that. DH said there were all kinds of fish including some large ones I could see from the covered area. We also ate there & it was good. We had seen this place several times before & never tried it & sure glad we did. Have a great trip!

Archived