Brooklyn to Hotel & Metropolitan Opera dress code

Kindlychap

What is the most sensible way of doing this? Last time I took a Cunard transfer which took in a tour of the city I didn't want to do.

I will not use public transport - I'm on holiday - and will happily pay for a car rather than a cab if there is any benefit to be had. On the other hand, I don't want to throw money away.

Any ideas?

In addition I'm going to the Met on the 8/1/07. It isn't a gala - what is the norm expected? At Covent Garden one can wear more or less anything one would wear on a Cunarder - from day dress to formal! I don't really want to dress up for the sake of it, but equally it isn't my home turf and I don't want to look out of place. Opera goers - you must be here! Help!

With thanks,

Matthew

What is the most sensible way of doing this? Last time I took a Cunard transfer which took in a tour of the city I didn't want to do.

I will not use public transport - I'm on holiday - and will happily pay for a car rather than a cab if there is any benefit to be had. On the other hand, I don't want to throw money away.

Any ideas?

In addition I'm going to the Met on the 8/1/07. It isn't a gala - what is the norm expected? At Covent Garden one can wear more or less anything one would wear on a Cunarder - from day dress to formal! I don't really want to dress up for the sake of it, but equally it isn't my home turf and I don't want to look out of place. Opera goers - you must be here! Help!

With thanks,

Matthew

We are you staying? We are staying at the Penn next to Penn Station (she we are departing NYC via train) and have to figure out how to get from Brooklyn now to there. Manhattan passenger terminal was 2 blocks from my brother's co-op. :(

The dress code at the Met ( and nearly every other place in the USA) is rapidly becoming nonexistent. You will find everything, on non gala nights from Suit and tie down to jeans. Wear what is comfortable for you physically and emotionally.:cool:

Any ideas?

With thanks,

Matthew

Any ideas?

We are now in the process of discussing/planning how we'll get from the pier into mid-town Manhattan. Being big fans of public transportation, we'll probably make our way to the nearest subway stop (either walk or cab), then head to Penn Station to catch a train back to NJ.

It was ever so much more convenient when we would leave/arrive using the west side piers.

Jack

There really is no close public transportation to the Red Hook/Brooklyn piers. I am not sure that any of the cabs will want to take you to the nearest Brooklyn subway stop. Bite the bullet and take a cab into midtown, either to your hotel or Penn Station.

There really is no close public transportation to the Red Hook/Brooklyn piers. I am not sure that any of the cabs will want to take you to the nearest Brooklyn subway stop. Bite the bullet and take a cab into midtown, either to your hotel or Penn Station.

How much luggage can a cab cope with?

Matthew

How much luggage can a cab cope with?

It depends - they are not all the same size.

We have some minivan cabs today (a minivan is like a British MPV, but much bigger) and those should be able to handle just about anything you could throw at them. These are mostly Toyota Siennas. They're very, very big.

Probably 90% of the cabs are still regular sedan (saloon) cars, in particular Ford Crown Victorias. One of the reasons these have traditionally been used as cabs has been that they have a large trunk (boot). Not as big as a minivan, of course, but still lots of space.

If you book a car service, it will almost certainly be a Lincoln Town Car. This is a fancy Crown Victoria and while the rear seat has more room (longer car), the trunk is the same.

So you will probably not get any more luggage space by booking a car service than a cab.

New York cabs are not as bad as people like to make out - they are not on the level of, say, Copenhagen cabs (which are spectacular) but they are still pretty cheap and pretty clean and they usually get you where you want to go.

Public transport, incidentally, is really not an option since the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is nowhere near any public transport.

Thanks Doug - it looks as if a cab will be fine then. I'll not have mountains of luggage with me, so there won't be too much to worry about!

Likewise, thanks to everyone else who has given me the pointers that I need on these two questions.

Matthew

The Metropolitan Opera hall is very elegant and deserves a nice level of attire. I always wear a dark suit and tie and would expect a lady to wear a dress. You will see those in full formal attire (always nice) and those who think jeans in the best of seats is acceptable. Please grace the hall with a dark suit and tie and your lady in a fine dress. You will feel like you fit rather than taking society to a lower level. Just like the QE2 and to a lesser extent QM@ enjoy a decent level of attire on board, the Met also deserves such.

I recommend dinner at the Met before the performance. Not inexpensive but what is in NYC. Excellent food, atmosphere and service plussince you are right there, they see to it that you are out in plenty of time for the opening curtain even if it means having you return at intemission for coffee and dessert.

Enjoy the Crusie nd the time in the big apple. Sorry about the Brokklyn part with the ship's docking, one must blame Carnival for that gaff.

The Metropolitan Opera hall is very elegant and deserves a nice level of attire. I always wear a dark suit and tie and would expect a lady to wear a dress. You will see those in full formal attire (always nice) and those who think jeans in the best of seats is acceptable. Please grace the hall with a dark suit and tie and your lady in a fine dress. You will feel like you fit rather than taking society to a lower level. Just like the QE2 and to a lesser extent QM@ enjoy a decent level of attire on board, the Met also deserves such.

I recommend dinner at the Met before the performance. Not inexpensive but what is in NYC. Excellent food, atmosphere and service plussince you are right there, they see to it that you are out in plenty of time for the opening curtain even if it means having you return at intemission for coffee and dessert.

Enjoy the Crusie nd the time in the big apple. Sorry about the Brokklyn part with the ship's docking, one must blame Carnival for that gaff.

I'll be on my own.

Interesting range of opinions......

With Covent Garden you really can see a range of dress. Not often jeans, but often causal trousers and nice open shirt (which tends to be what I wear) as I find jacket and tie gets hot.

I don't see it as analogous to the QE2 at all - because I'm there to see Mozart, not to have a social affair. I don't want to offend, but that's about as far as it goes. I think the days of dressing for the opera are thankfully over - to me it speaks of more being there to be seen rather than to hear the music.

I can't recall the foyer to any great extent but was disappointed by the Hall itself. But then, brought up as I was with Covent Garden and those magnificent velvet curtains, swooping up and feeling the cold air on my face from the stage (front row really required for this) it isn't quite what I'm used to. Mind you, since the rebuild, the cold air is almost all gone....

Memories.......

The production I saw last was magnificent however - opening night in 2003 season. Renee Fleming as Violetta.....

If you're an opera lover then you should come over to Covent Garden - the house is currently doing very well under Tony Pappano, who has just signed another five year contract. His Ring is excellent, and it seems that the orchestra is better than ever.....

I'm very much a regular there....

No one will criticize you for what you are wearing. Again, dress for yourself. No matter what you wear, it's unlikely you be at the extreams of what will be worn at the Met.

I'll be on my own.

Interesting range of opinions......

With Covent Garden you really can see a range of dress. Not often jeans, but often causal trousers and nice open shirt (which tends to be what I wear) as I find jacket and tie gets hot.

I don't see it as analogous to the QE2 at all - because I'm there to see Mozart, not to have a social affair. I don't want to offend, but that's about as far as it goes. I think the days of dressing for the opera are thankfully over - to me it speaks of more being there to be seen rather than to hear the music.

I can't recall the foyer to any great extent but was disappointed by the Hall itself. But then, brought up as I was with Covent Garden and those magnificent velvet curtains, swooping up and feeling the cold air on my face from the stage (front row really required for this) it isn't quite what I'm used to. Mind you, since the rebuild, the cold air is almost all gone....

Memories.......

The production I saw last was magnificent however - opening night in 2003 season. Renee Fleming as Violetta.....

If you're an opera lover then you should come over to Covent Garden - the house is currently doing very well under Tony Pappano, who has just signed another five year contract. His Ring is excellent, and it seems that the orchestra is better than ever.....

I'm very much a regular there....

Dear Kindlychap:

Frequent Met-goer here. For most (i.e.; non-gala) performances, conservative business wear (dark suit, long or bow tie) is what most men over the age of 30 wear ... To a certain extent it depends on where you sit: the boxes can be more formal; the Family Circle ("the gods") less so. Orchestra, Dress Circle, etc. are what I'm talking about.

For an evening performance, most "average" guys would feel underdressed in anything else. Sport coat and nice slacks are frequently seen at Saturday matinees ...

If you want to make a fashion statement, or advertise one or another "preference", you can wear nearly anything ... I've seen full black leather (one supposes that is, in some way, "formal") to jeans and t-shirt (they were clearly $300 jeans and a $250 t-shirt, though).

Seriously ... dark business attire is the norm.

Hope you enjoy the performance!

Dear Kindlychap:

Frequent Met-goer here. For most (i.e.; non-gala) performances, conservative business wear (dark suit, long or bow tie) is what most men over the age of 30 wear ... To a certain extent it depends on where you sit: the boxes can be more formal; the Family Circle ("the gods") less so. Orchestra, Dress Circle, etc. are what I'm talking about.

For an evening performance, most "average" guys would feel underdressed in anything else. Sport coat and nice slacks are frequently seen at Saturday matinees ...

If you want to make a fashion statement, or advertise one or another "preference", you can wear nearly anything ... I've seen full black leather (one supposes that is, in some way, "formal") to jeans and t-shirt (they were clearly $300 jeans and a $250 t-shirt, though).

Seriously ... dark business attire is the norm.

Hope you enjoy the performance!

I'm in the front row of the stalls.....

Thanks anyway - I'll behave myself anyway.

Does it vary with repertoire? Covent Garden is far dressier for the popular operas - go and see Wozzeck and you'd stick out in evening dress!

My only suggestion is that if you take a cab from the terminal you'll have to wait. I use a local car service Arecibo which is normally the least expensive and there in Brooklyn in 5 minutes. The one thing about cabs is if you get a clean air one that uses natural gas they have no trunk(boot) as it is taken up with the extra gas tank....

Personally when I go to the opera I wear at least a sport coat but people do wear mostly everything...on Gala night its evening attire exclusively.

In addition I'm going to the Met on the 8/1/07. It isn't a gala - what is the norm expected?

Matthew,

I was at the MET 2 weeks ago on a Saturday night to hear the new Barbiere di Siviglia. The dress was all over the board, from jeans to one man in a tux who stood out like a sore thumb. I wore black slacks, black sweater, black leather jacket...It's New York!

PS... The Magic Flute production is a wild and whacked one, but I liked it.

If you want to dine nearby, there are many good and some great restaurants in the area.

Enjoy

Okay, all you Metro's- Slightly off topic, but I have a need to ask. Does the met publish the names of the performers in the program? By performers, I mean the orchestra ) Obviously they publish the names of the singers!) The reason I ask, I would like to know if David Heiss is still Principal cellist.

I have never been to the opera, and am not really a fan. I have tried to see if I could find out the members of the orchestra online, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Karie

Okay, all you Metro's- Slightly off topic, but I have a need to ask. Does the met publish the names of the performers in the program? By performers, I mean the orchestra ) Obviously they publish the names of the singers!) The reason I ask, I would like to know if David Heiss is still Principal cellist.

I have never been to the opera, and am not really a fan. I have tried to see if I could find out the members of the orchestra online, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Karie

Metros?

That, owing to the car of the same name in England, is not a term to bandy around carelessly! ;)

The short answer is I don't know, but will clearly get a programme when I'm there (if memory serves they are free, unlike the £6.00 at Covent Garden!) and will advise you.

Certainly the information is there at Covent Garden.

Matthew

Thanks,

Karie

I was there for FAUST in October, and although a lot can change in 2 months, my program lists Jerry Grossman and Rafael Figueroa as the principal cellists. David Heiss is not listed.

I wore a suit to your opera house Tuesday night (Carmen) and last night (Regiment).

Please wear one to mine. At least a jacket and tie.

You will not stand out, distinguishing yourself. You might cause many -- too many -- to say to themselves "I wish I'd done that (dressed)". I see it all the time, people learning how to dress to fit in where they want to be.

You cannot overdue at The Met and it always is best to dress better than you have to. :)

I wore a suit to your opera house Tuesday night (Carmen)

What did you think of the Carmen? Apart from the fact that we were both horrified to see the use of donkey, chickens and horse on stage, it wasn't the best that the House has done in my view.

(I'll return the favour in relation to the suit, as you've been kind enough to refer to Covent Garden as "my" Opera House! ;) }

Thanks, QC,

I guess I'll have to wait for my Christmas card to see what David is doing no. He was princ cellist at both the Met and the Phil for a while. This is a guy who played with the high school orchestra when he was in Jr high, and Harpur college when he was in High School.

My very first boyfriend (When we were SIX! <G>) He actually made it into his twenties before he discovered that girls were not his first choice!

Hmm, that Carmen sounds interesting. I always liked a good show with donkeys and chickens, but I thought those kind of shows only happened in Tijuana <EG>

Personally, my favorite is Spike Jone's (the fifties Spike Jones, not the 90's one) version of Pal-YATCH-EEE.

(sung loosely to the tune of Vesti Giuba (Invest in a Tuba)

When we was in the city, we was wonderin' where to go.

The sign spelled out "pagliacci" up in lights above the show.

We thought it'd be a Western, 'til the stage lit up with lights, and

ninety-seven people sung without a horse in sight!

We couldn't understand them 'cause spoke a foreign (fur-in) tongue,

but we can give you some idea of what we think they sung...

(Ridi, Pagliaci!)

All at once there's a fat guy in a clown suit.

T'ain't Haller-ween, that's for shore.

Then this here feller, this Punchy Neller,

Begins to beller -- Like we all was deef.

...Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha!)

That was Pal-ya-tchee, and he sung:

Invest in a tuba, and sumpin, er 'nother 'bout Cuba.

He sung about a lady, who weighed two-hunderd and eighty!

When she takes a powder, he just starts chirpin' louder,

he don't do a gol' darn thing, 'cept to stand up there and sing.

When we listen to Pal-ya-tchee,

we get itchy and scratchy.

This sure is top corn

so we go and buy some popcorn;

we hate to go back

but we can't get our dough back,

Ain't no use complainin'

'cause outside it's a-rainin'.

Seven hours later,

we're still in the durn theater.

Takin' turns at-nappin'

waitin' for somethin' to happen.

Pal-ya-tchee, he ain't hurryin'

but the folks on stage are flurryin'

it sounds like Ketchy-tur-eean's Neighbor Dan

Then ol' Palyatchee finds the guy he seekin' cheek to cheekin' with his wife, he grabs the knife and stabs the louse who stole his spouse, and then he stabs the lady and himself.

T'ain't very sanitary.

They all collapse, but ol Palyatchee sets up then he gets up sayin' "I am dyin'! I'm dyin! I am dyin'!'"

We start cryin', 'cause, to tell the truth, we're dyin', too.

As the footlights fade out,

We see Pagliacci laid out,.....

but the dagger never caused it.

Pagliacci was plumb exhausted.

Archived