Time To Kill In New Orleans -- Suggestions!!!

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I am on the Carnival Fantasy on 02/10/07. I have three questions for folks that are in the know:

1. What is the most economical way to get from the airport to the ship? Is Carnival's transports cheaper than just taking a cab?

2. When I get off the ship on Thurs at around 10:00 or 10:30, my flight will not leave N.O. until 5:45 p.m. What is the best way for me to enjoy a little bit of N.O. in the hours (approx. 6 hours) before I have to head to the ship? I will have luggage with me. I plan to lunch at "Mothers" for sure but what else is there and what is the best way to do it? Any short excursions available? Or should I take my luggage to Harrah's, park it and then walk around?

3. What is the weather like during mid-Feb in N.O.?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The weather can be mild or cold, I have been to Mardi Gras in Febuary in both shirtsleeves and winter coats.

Check your luggage somewhere( I have no idea, I have friends and family there) and go to the French Quarter, Royal Street's antiques stores can keep anyone occupied for hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to NO as a port-o-call and cruised the Conquest out of there. We parked our luggage at Harrah's(easy).

There is plenty to do, take a step or turn a corner, something is going on.

The Tropicale Isle (bar) had a live band on a Monday early afternoon. Interesting place to check out to enjoy a drink or a soda.

5 Carnival, 1 HAL but, Fantasy is my all-time favorite ! She is a beauty. The Cat's Lounge is the best!

Enjoy !!!!!!

I believe you are reffering to Cat's Meow (not the one in Costa Maya).

You will be there during Carnival season so be aware of any parades.

Possibly:

http://www.voodooshop.com/

The Aquarium:

http://www.auduboninstitute.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Facility_Aquarium

Catch a carriage ride at Jackson Square:

http://www.neworleanscarriages.com/

{coupon on website}

I read on the New Orleans web site about the shuttle service around 13 each way. If you want to use that as pick up from the ship you would have to pre book. Another service is Advance baggage check in they have an office at the cruise terminal and the will take you baggage back to the airport and hold it for you till you come and pick it up 25 for 3 pieces. here is the web site www.flymsy.com

Price of hotels may be higher at this time because of Mardi Gras. I dont have the latest schedule, but parades should be going on at this time. If you have never seen a New Orleans parade, this may be a good time. What do you like to do? I live in New Orleans and could give you a ton of suggestions if I know what you like. My family and I spend a lot of time downtown so I have been down there a lot. Let me know what you like to do.

Cathy

If you have the time, get out and see what Katrina did, go over to the lower 9th ward where the levee broke and other locations Spent 4.5 weeks down there with the Red Cross and yes there is the French Quarter etc but if you are there see what happened

Can't answer the airport transfer question, but the website given earlier should provide the info you need.

That is Mardi Gras season, but if your flight is around 5 you'll miss any parades which on a Thursday are all at night.

Mother's is EXCELLENT for lunch. The WWII museum is a great suggestion, too. You can also take the river front street car at the foot of Poydras (a few blocks from Mother's) into the French Quarter and have beignets for dessert and shop around the quarter. You could visit the Aquarium, also at the foot of Poydras, shop at Canal Place, or at the Riverwalk.

While it is important to see the destruction left by Katrina and tell others back at home that we still need help, IMHO I think it's more important to spend your money here at local shops. Many small businesses (shops/ restaurants) are hanging on by a thread and could really use the money!

And yes, as far as weather, it could be mid 70s and gorgeous or mid-40s and miserable......You'll have to check weather closer to the date.

Allicat1214 where are you located, i spent about 2 weeks at Jenna and Ferret street with the Red Cross just off of south clairborne I agree folks need to see the damage how quickly it is forgotten

Regards and Let the good times Roll

Pete

Archived