disembarktion barbados/windsurf renovation

hipgirl

Hi All -

This is my first time posting here. We have sailed twice on Windstar, Windspirt and loved both times. The ship is gorgeous especially when the sails are in use and staff superb.

We are going on Windsurf this time. Flights out of barbados are scarce for all. Ship arrives at 4:30 am and I am told it is to assist passengers taking the limited flights out that mainly leave very early, ours is 7:30 am flight. This is the only option for flight out for us, on any airline. Flights in/out of Barbados are really limited. It is my guess Windstar is accomodating this or they would have fewer passengers able to do Barbados. Can anyone verify that yes indeed disembarktion is possible in Barbados to catch a 7:30 am flight? Thank you.

Here is what I was told about the renovations upgrades today:

Hi

Work on the Wind Surf took place during a five-week combined wet dock and dry dock in November and December 2006.

A major reorganization to the Wind Surf’s main deck created a gathering spot for guests called the Yacht Club. Walls were removed from the library and the space opened up for a convergence of activities. An espresso bar with tables and chairs becomes a centerpiece along with couches for lounging. A large flat panel television was added for watching news, movies or sporting events. Eight computers are available now for email and browsing the Internet.

Two brand new suites measuring 450 square feet each were built on the Bridge deck. The suites feature a living room, an entertainment center with flat panel television and DVD/CD player, a dining area, a separate bedroom with a flat panel television and DVD/CD player, a full bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower. Guests in the Bridge Suites will enjoy extra service amenities such as unpacking and packing service, invitation to dine with Captain, laundry and pressing, evening appetizers, high tea service upon request, complimentary bottled water stocked in the suites, chilled champagne upon arrival, additional L’Occitane bath amenities and more.

All stateroom and suite bathrooms are completely renovated. Elements include updated cabinetry with open glass shelves, granite countertops, white porcelain sinks, new custom shower heads, new shower curtains and refinished shower stalls. Teak floors will be polished and a lit magnifying mirror will be added. Egyptian cotton towels and bath amenities by L’Occitane have recently been added.

In other areas of the stateroom, woodwork was refinished, desktops resurfaced, full length mirrors added, along with goodnight mats and slippers. In suites, a second flat panel television and DVD player are also added. Wireless internet is already available throughout the ship along with Bose SoundDock speakers in all staterooms, Apple iPod Nanos pre-loaded with music for complimentary check-out and laptops for rent.

A reconfiguration of the WindSpa creates a couples massage room where guests may relax and enjoy the art of massage. A pedicure chair will be added to the spa for guests’ comfort during Windstar signature pedicures.

The Bistro, Wind Surf’s alternative restaurant, renamed Degrees and features a steak house menu created by Chef Joachim Splichal four nights a week and menus from Northern Italy, France and Indonesia other evenings. Degrees have been redecorated with a new burgundy color scheme, Rosenthal china and Schott Zwiesel stemware. Reservations are required but there is no additional charge to dine at Degrees. Splichal has reinvigorated the ship’s cuisine in The Restaurant as well with new menus served on elegant Rosenthal china with Riedel stemware.

Other public area improvements include new furniture and awnings in the Veranda restaurant, Balinese sun beds added to Star deck, new audio/visual equipment to facilitate meetings on board and new televisions and free weights in the gym. A refreshing mist spray added to the decks near both pools for cooling off on hot days. Plans are also underway to provide cell phone service on all ships by the end of 2007.

I hope this answers your questions in full.

Sincerely

Zoe Mehanovic

WINDSTAR RESERVATIONS

hipgirl: are you using winstar's air? if not,call WS and see if they think you can make your flight. if WS is using that flight for their air add-on passengers you will surly be able to make it, but call WS first. have a great cruise.

I am wondering if their ships sail full from Barbados. We were a group of six, scheduled to cruise in Feb. and we cancelled and rebooked another line because of lack of flights. Not ony were the times awful, the prices were close to $1000. per ticket. Just too much trouble to cruise out of there! Have fun, though! We really wanted this particular sailing...Oh well!

Last year, we found it best to overnight in Barbados after the cruise,

It gives you an extra day of vacation. I recommend the Southern Palms

Beach Club. It is not the fanciest property, but the rooms are clean and staff is very friendly. Its about half way between the cruise pier and airport in the "gap" area. You may do better on return flights because there may be fewer cruisers competing for the few seats available on cruise changeover day...

just a thought....

Below is what I was told by Windstar rep. It is my understanding they changed the dock to 4:30 am to accomodate this problem on Barbados. This rep did not tell me this but it was on a phone call to them. IF Windstar does not do this...I really don't see how they can fill this ship. It is not just us with the problem as another poster has commented...Flights to and from Barbados for everyone are limited and only are on certain days...not everyday for everyone.

We are booking out own flight because it is cheaper and there is only one airline to choose from which is AA. We are going to pursue it. I think it will be fine.

"In Barbados we recommend no flights out prior to 7:30 a.m. A 7:30 flight should be fine."

We're booked on the Barbados Windsurf, and fllights all taken care of, great flight deals right now ($388 roundtrip per person) for anyone interested in this cruise! We have a 7:30 am flight on the 11th. Our travel agent also got verbal confirmation that the below itinery would have no problem making the 7:30 a.m. flight. So that is 3 people on staff at Windstar verifying. One phone call by myself, the email below, and a travel agent confirmation.

It's apparent Windstar wants to make the Barbados cruise accomodating to all by docking at 4:30 am instead of 6 am. And we certainly appreciate it as otherwise this sail would be impossible for us with Barbados airport being so limited with flights. With the renovations (listed above...they sound amazing) on Windsurf we are really looking forward to this sail! If anyone has done this itinery would love to hear about the ports. My husband and I are beach bums and love to find the prettiest beach at port.

------------------------------------------

Subject: barbados windsurf

Date: 12/19/2006 7:20:13 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: xxxx@xxx.com

CC: KW@xxxx.com

Hello xxxxx,

In Barbados we recommend no flights out prior to 7:30 a.m. A 7:30 flight should be fine.

Jeff Morrow

Windstar Reservations

------------------------------------

------Itinery Windsurf March 4, 2007 sailing-----

http://www.windstarcruises.com/Itinerary.asp?itenID=4070304

BARBADOS (NB) 7 DAYS WIND SURF

DATE DAY PORTS OF CALL ARRIVE DEPART

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 4 Sunday Bridgetown/Barbados -- MIDNIGHT

March 5 Monday At Sea -- --

March 6 Tuesday Nevis 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

March 7 Wednesday St. Martin/F.W.I. 8:00 AM --

March 8 Thursday St. Martin/F.W.I. -- 1:00 AM

March 8 Thursday St. Barthelemy/F.W.I. 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

March 9 Friday Basse Terre/Guadaloupe, F.W.I. 7:00 AM NOON

March 9 Friday Iles Des Saintes/F.W.I. 2:00 PM 7:00 PM

March 10 Saturday Pigeon Island/St. Lucia 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

March 11 Sunday Bridgetown/Barbados 4:30 AM --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our 2/11 -2/26 flights MIA/BGI/MIA are less than half full on American. You can go to AA.com and see. I know that when the cricket world cup starts on 3/11 flights, hotels and rental cars are scarce until the end of April.

I've heard that the 3/11 Windsurf cruise is chartered by one of the cricket federations but I don't know that for certain.

If WS says we can do it then I guess they are booking their own air pax on that 0730 AA flight. We are on the BTB 17 Mar-01 Apr and I have just booked that return flight. It means arriving home at 330 pm instead of 11pm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just back from sailing windsurf 3/4-3/11/07. Can verify that that catching a 7:30 a.m flight was no problem at all. Windsurf crew and barbados customs had us at the airport with plenty of time to spare. The process was smooth, organized, and stress free. Barbados customs was happy to accomodate such a early disembarktion (5 am or so) and even did it with a great big smile. Transportation to the airport was well planned by the cruise staff and everything went perfect.

Archived