Last cruise w/X for us

m steve

They won't see us again. The food was mediocre, TV had no printed schedule, CC level cabins were noisy from pool deck scraping and dropping as well as musical noise late at night. The steak knives were a joke as they about cut butter and not the tough steaks. Entertainment was same as 3 years ago.

New alcohol policy was just a threat and not enforced so why do it. Shopping host only promoted the pay off shops and offered no information on anyplace else and had a lousy attitude. Menu was not very exciting. Corkage was $25 w/ split of 20 for ship and 5 for steward. That's more than 15%. There was no early disembarkation for CC cabins. Was scheduled for 9:30 disembark but ended up at 10:20.

So sorry you had such a bad cruise. With all due respect I think you knew you were not going to enjoy this cruise before you left. I hope you find a new cruiseline that better meets your needs. Vacation time and money is too valuable to spend on a product you know is no longer for you. Hope you have happier cruises in the future.

Well, I guess its all about attitude. For us, we could care less about TV schedules on a ship because we hardly ever spend any time in our cabin watching TV (why leave home). As to noise from above, most experienced cruisers have learned to carefully choose a cabin based on whats above, below and around...and this is true on all ships. Typically, the most expensive cabins on on the higher decks and subject to more noise (which is why we usually book cheaper better located cabins). As to entertainment and food, we do totally agree. Unfortunately, we have not found it much better on the other mass market cruise lines (we took 6 cruises last year). So, your option are to spend a lot more money and go on Crystal, Regent, etc (they are great) or accept that X and the other mass market cruise lines all have their issues, but its still a heck of bang for the buck.

Hank

They won't see us again. The food was mediocre, TV had no printed schedule, CC level cabins were noisy from pool deck scraping and dropping as well as musical noise late at night. The steak knives were a joke as they about cut butter and not the tough steaks. Entertainment was same as 3 years ago.

New alcohol policy was just a threat and not enforced so why do it. Shopping host only promoted the pay off shops and offered no information on anyplace else and had a lousy attitude. Menu was not very exciting. Corkage was $25 w/ split of 20 for ship and 5 for steward. That's more than 15%. There was no early disembarkation for CC cabins. Was scheduled for 9:30 disembark but ended up at 10:20.

What ship were you on?

So sorry you had such a bad cruise. With all due respect I think you knew you were not going to enjoy this cruise before you left. I hope you find a new cruiseline that better meets your needs. Vacation time and money is too valuable to spend on a product you know is no longer for you. Hope you have happier cruises in the future.

msteve,

Sorry to hear about your experience on your cruise. The new alcohol policy is a story of confusion. You are also correct about the early disembarkation for CC is a myth. We waited for an hour and a half after our appointed time for our "early disembarkation' and we were also in CC. BTW what ship were you on.

As for the other posts after your original post, I just don't understand how someone could think that they know what someone else is thinking. The statement that "you knew you were not going to enjoy this cruise before you left", just blows me away. The "See Ya" comment was also maybe not in the best of taste. I am not one of those to look up every posters history, but I did notice that you have over 1,000 posts here on CC, so I would assume that you are an experienced cruiser, who knows a good cruise from a bad cruise.

Good luck to you in your future cruises.

Brandy

I hope you have better luck with your next cruise, no matter what line it may be on.

I have been lucky enough to not have had the problems you have. I don't watch TV, too much to do. I don't go to the port shopping talks, once again too many other things to do than sit and listen to someone tell me about shopping for an hour or two. I don't drink wine or bring on alcohol, so I'm not hit with corkage fees or care about enforcement of their alcohol policy. My meat has always been tender and juicy, I have never had an issue with the knives. Yes the productions shows only change every 3-4 years and it's usually just one show. But if you know that, you don't have to go. There are other things to do.

Good Luck on your future cruises.

Sorry you had such a bad cruise. I was on the Constellation back in Oct. and we had a TV schedule in our room. When I am trying to decide on a cabin I make darn sure I look what is above and below. This next year on the Infinity we will be CC and will be on the Panorama deck; just cabins above and cabins below.

As for food I have sailed Princess and Celebrity; mostly Princess and I must say their food is comparable. Food is so subjective. What one person loves the other one hates. Sorry your cruise was not to your liking.

Marilyn

As for the other posts after your original post, I just don't understand how someone could think that they know what someone else is thinking. The statement that "you knew you were not going to enjoy this cruise before you left", just blows me away.

I'm sure steve appreciates you coming to his defense. A rally is always nice. What you also don't understand, since you are 'new' is that m steve didnt have much good to say about celebrity before he ever went on his recent cruise. I didn't read all of the 1,000 posts, but I don't remember any positive ones.

Hi MSteve !

I am not going to come down hard on you Steve. I am sorry to hear your Cruise was not everything you hoped for. I hope you let us know what Celebrity ship you were on.

As for the food, I agree that it is very subjective. What some people may love, others might hate. I was on Constellation and Century in the past 3 weeks, and the food was excellent on both sailings. I had no problems with the tenderness of the meat. Unfortunately, that can change from week to week. We have always been very happy though.

Sometimes, it can be a matter of expectations. If you set the bar too high, you will likely set yourself up for some disappointment. When I go on a Cruise, I take each day one day at a time. If something goes wrong, I deal with it. Whenever I get disappointed, I think about being back at work, and the constant stress each day. I then remind myself that I am on a CRUISE vacation ! That always gets me back on the right track, and in a hurry !

I wish you Good luck with finding another type of vacation, or Cruise that will make you happier next time !

m steve, sorry to hear your cruise was a disappointment. It's gotta be a drag to spend a bunch of money, wait a long time, get all excited, and then feel let down when the cruise finally happens. Hope your next cruise adventure is up to snuff.

First, I love Celebrity but I have had some problems. For one, I got very upset when X closed Michael's club to cigar smokers. Afterall, it was advertised for years as a cigar bar, but now it is called a "piano bar."

I enjoyed a cigar and a drink, but that is gone now. Trivial - YES, but I liked it.

I think X disallusions some passengers with their advertising pitch. They spread the "poppycock" that they are a premium line when in reality they are another Princess or RCCL. Maybe sad,but true. Their food is pretty much the same quality as the other mass-market lines and their service is neither less nor better than the others.

I enjoy cruises in general and have a great time on whichever line I sail.

I have met the "couple from hell" before (cannot be satisfied by anyone or anything) and I do my best to avoid them.

There are some who would find faults with Regent or Crystal, that is their loss.

Rich:cool:

My 14 teen year old was able to buy a beer . She spilled a guests beer and felt bad . So she went to the Bar herself and the Bar gave her a Beer .I was more then upset . Its the only time on a ship I have yelled at the Staff .

The food has gone down hill on all Ships .I just book a lowe rlever room and buy some dinners in the specially Restrants . The ships other small fee food is 100 times better .

The Shows -They are not great but it hard working kids - I love the engery .

All that said ..Celebrity is still the best ships for the money .I feel I get so much value.

My 14 teen year old was able to buy a beer . She spilled a guests beer and felt bad . So she went to the Bar herself and the Bar gave her a Beer .I was more then upset . Its the only time on a ship I have yelled at the Staff .

:eek: I think I would have been yelling about my 14 yr old daughter being served, too! That was a DEFINITE lapse in judgement on the part of the bar staff!

Do they have a cigar bar or smoking bar at all on the Constellation anymore? I don't smoke, but my husband does and he really enjoys going to the bar for a drink and some music after dinner some nights. Anyone have info on this? and PLEASE no flames from the antismokers!! Thanks, Carole

No cigar bar on the Constellation. We were on her in November. I think you can only smoke cigars & pipes on outside decks. One side of ship is smokers, but I think they do not allow cigars or pipes. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Oh he doesn't smoke cigars or pipes, he just smokes cigarettes and likes to relax and listen to jazz or a softer type music for awhile after dinner, do you know if any of the bars allow smoking and if so which ones? Thanks for the info, as for me I think I'll just hang out in the thalassotherapy pool:D

Unless I was misinformed by X staff the cigar bars are gone fleetwide. I was told it was too costly to clean the drapes in Michael's Club while it was a cigar bar, so X put the Kibosh on indoor cigar smokers. We are now banished to the outdoor decks. So be it.

That is a few less bar drinks they will sell-- hope that makes up for drapery cleaning. I thought it was a nice touch to have a cigar bar on board. The chairs were plush & the company was stimulating.

Rich:cool:

Andy, can you add anything here?

Brandy Meant, Again with all due respect to you the OP had several posts on this board before he left for his cruise and he seemed to have a lot of issues already. Please note, I am not saying he was right or wrong, I am just saying that he was already feeling a lot of negative vibes. That tends to color your outlook. I was being sincere when I said I hope he finds a cruise line that he likes better. I know I would not sail on a line that I felt so negatively about.

Oh he doesn't smoke cigars or pipes, he just smokes cigarettes and likes to relax and listen to jazz or a softer type music for awhile after dinner, do you know if any of the bars allow smoking and if so which ones? Thanks for the info, as for me I think I'll just hang out in the thalassotherapy pool:D

All the bars and lounges allow cigarette smoking - on the port side only, so just stick to that area and he'll be fine.

The comment that Steve made prior to his cruise are the reason someone said that he wasn't going to like his cruise.

This isn't a knock at Steve. I was scheduled to sail on the Crown Princess last August but had a horrible experience with Princess customer service. I cancelled the cruise. Everyone thought I was being silly but the fact is...if you have a negative attitude going into it- why bother?

I am sure anything Princess did wrong would have made me angry and it wasn't fair for me, the other passengers or for the crew for me to sail with such a bad attitude.

Steve, you will probably have more fun on a line that encourages carryon alcohol- since this is such a bone of contention for you. Happy Cruising in the future.

They did have cigars for sale at Micheals on the Mercury during the Alaska cruise I took in September. I know for sure that they did last March (Bleach cruise) as my brother in law frequently would purchase and smoke them there.

Dave:eek:

Archived