POA Crew Paid Salary or Hourly?

ssindy

Do you plan to tip the POA crew if it's deserved?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to tip the POA crew if it's deserved?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

you guys are right only the crew will suffer with this service charge. they should add this extra charge to the total cost of the cruise right from the start when you book it!

Seems to me the crews of the POA receive quite good wages and overtime (compared to the international crews) and they are under US labor laws correct? The POA crews receive the $10 pppd as 'holiday pay' unlike international crews who do not and only get tips (which amounts to the same amount of $ right?).... This is simple - tip 'extra' for 'extra' service..! Happy cruisin'!

randyat1001

Thanks for that link. I found the article very interesting.

It did a good job of presenting the differences between the situation on POA and on NCL's other ships and NCL's rational for setting up the 'service charge' on POA.

Now can someone explain to me why they are taking this policy fllet wide next May?

It cannot be because so many people were stiffing the crew since

Veitch said that since more than 95% of the passengers fleetwide never adjust the automatic gratuity, so NCL doesn't see this system being a major concern for passengers on the NCLA ships.

(color was added to highlight the relevant phrase.)

95%? Well, I guess he wasn't including our cruise. The line to "adjust" tips wrapped around the lobby, and they had to get extra staff to help adjust tips or there would have been a riot.

I believe this is the most complete explanation of why the policy changed with the all Hawaiian schedule.

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40714.html

After all the beating of this fly covered dead horse that is the best explaination of the change and and reasons behind it. It is fact based and not built on what we think.

I know we are going to hear you can't trust anything NCL says. But to some degree the corporate line changes with the market in every business. Go to five different cellphone stores and ask what is the best plan and what is included and you will get at least 3 different answers.

The explaination works for me but may not for others. That is why there are choices in this industry.

Although the link explains the reasoning for using the new service charge for NCLA ships, it still does not explain why NCL is taking this policy fleet wide in May. The other NCL ships do not have American crews and Mr. Veitch himself has said that only a very small number of passengers are stiffing the crew with the present 'adjustable' gratuity ,so why put the 'resort/service fee' on these ships?

The reason I'd like to hear more about ship crew salaries is because I would like to persue a career in the industry. I have looked at the position of Information Systems Manager. An email to Carnival told me the salary was $32,000, but a ship employment site said 6 to 7k/ month. Ssindy, or alohacrewmom, do you have any idea what someone in the Information Technology department, where my dream job is, would make? Thank you so much.

-Brian

Brian,

I really don't know the answer to your question. I would suggest that you call the cruise lines that you are interested in working for and ask them. I am sure it will vary between the US and foriegn flagged ships. Personally, I would believe the cruise line before the employment service. I think the services sometimes tend to give out very high salary ranges to entice you to sign with them. That might account for the different rates you got from Carnival. The bottom line is that you will recieve what the cruiseline says no matter what the emploment service says. My son went to the NCL website for information and then called them directly. He never used a service.

Someone mentioned the salary to be 3-4 thousand a month but I'm sure they were talking about waiters and room stewards. I would also say that to make that much they must be working more than 80 hours a week.

Good luck with your plans. I think that would be a really interesting career. If you work for a cruiseline it will be very hard work but offer some wonderful experiences that you can't get anywhere else.

Alohacrewmom,

Thanks for the tips. I suspect that the employment agencies are infact fibbing a bit. I have emailed several lines, but only got a response from Carnival. I'll try with Norwegian again. I also emailed that agency asking where they got that number from, but naturally never got a response.

The thing that drew me to this was when on Celebrity our Asst. Matire'd was talking about her cabin, her cleaner, etc., and our waiter was advising us on what to order for dinner because he was going to have it, too. Not that I see anything wrong with this, but I thought it might be an interesting place to work, considering you get almost everything from the line, as I have learned more about recently. I had always planned to persue a career in Computer Science, and thought this would be an interesting way to do that, considering I've always loved cruising as a passenger and I could set aside a considerable ammount of money. Thank you again.

-Brian

95%? Well, I guess he wasn't including our cruise. The line to "adjust" tips wrapped around the lobby, and they had to get extra staff to help adjust tips or there would have been a riot.

gouda, from what I've gathered, I'm sure your cruise was in no way a typical NCL cruise. Besides, 5% of 2000 passengers is sill 100 people. How many people do you guess were trying to adjust their tips on your cruise?

• 3 weeks later...

If the service is good and you personally enjoyed them, then tip them.

The crew members on the pride of aloha work around 90 hours a week, 7 days a week for 5 months straight. They work endlessly. they do get paid for all of their over time. I am not sure how many people could that.

Please feel free to tip them. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Like what was said above we don't worry about what other places are getting paid.

Don't like the service don't tip. That simple.

Everyone who has read my posts knows my opinion. I don't tip based on whta I think or know the person is earning. If they provide good service to my family, they are tipped in general more than the norm.

• 1 month later...
If I am provided good service by anyone in a restaurant, hotel, taxi, etc etc

I tip and in general tip in excess of what one would consider the norm. I do not consider whether or not that person is making a ton of money under union rules, making sub par minimum wage or any other factors other than the individuals treatment of me and my family. I have sailed many times on Holland America and this issue was discussed for a long time (years...maybe decades) until just recently. Nevertheless, I tipped as I would have normally tipped on other lines.

I even tip if the service was not necessarily the best but the individuals tried their best or may even be not 1000% trained but still have the respect and demeanor which I would expect. Therefore, I don't get into the nitty gritty of what they are paid but rather their particular treatment of me. I cna tell you that I have left no tips at many NYC restaurants because of terrible nasty service. In those instances, prior to finishing my dinner(although I makesure it is in my sight at all times!!!) I call over the manager and tell them why I am not leaving a tip. I don't think it is fair to have a "rule" within my own person as to whether or not I will leave a tip. On Greek line ships many years ago, the tips were pooled by Greek Union rules. I left individual tips too. I have found and don't mind paying for service. I repsect everyone elese opinion but this is how I handle these situations.

All the best!

louchamp: I agree, I've read a couple of your posts and think you gerally have a fair opinion of things. Although NCL said that the service fee was going into a pool for the staff vacations, we still wanted to tip when deserved. And like you said we may not have had the greatest service, but the people tried their hardest. We tipped our room steward the first day even though our cabin wasn't perfect. After that we got GREAT service and we continued tipping. I'm not well off I'm more blue collar, my mother did house cleaning for a living, so I relate more to these people than the snobby tourists. WE also tipped any waiters we felt deserved it. At the end of the cruise we had these people hug us!! But people who had bad attitudes we did not tip. I think realizing that people are not getting paid very much money may help you to understand where they're coming from, but it's not absolutely necessary. If you are wowed by their service the customary thing to do is tip!!

Funcruizer

Archived