SPLEEN: Interstate On-ramps in Honolulu?

Divetex

It's difficult enough getting on the freeway to go to the airport from Waikiki, but going the other direction is a real chore. Where are the onramps to go toward Hanauma Bay? If I go east on King Street, will I find an on-ramp? I sure don't want to drive all the way past Ala Moana Mall to go back the other way. How's the best way to get onto the freeway? Help, please?

I have always used a car rental in Honolulu and haven't had much of a problem driving there. Hang Loose. But don't you find it odd that they would have an interstate highway in Hawaii?

Happy Sails

B

This is the first time anybody's asked me this question so you get some sort of prize for that. I'm not sure what but I'm sure I can dig up something from around here. :)

OK ... let's use this map as a reference to get us going. I'd copy it here but it's an odd size and it causes the board to rewrap in a weird way so open it up in another window and follow along as I try to describe how to do this.

The trickiest part of this is the beginning - figuring out how to get out of Waikiki. You need to get to Ala Wai Boulevard which is on the mauka (mountain) side of Waikiki. Ala Wai is a one way heading ewa (west) so follow the traffic down. You'll see a bridge going across the Ala Wai Canal on the right ... this is McCully St. and you'll be taking a right from the Ala Wai onto it. Follow the bridge over the canal and take the next right - this should be Kapiolani Blvd. You'll be traveling on Kapiolani for about 4-5 blocks (head over to the left most lane, especially when it splits). You'll pass University Ave. and Date St. as major intersections. You'll then see a tiny cemetary on your left and as soon as you pass that, there'll be an on-ramp for the H1 east on the left side at a traffic light. Just follow the left most lane to the on ramp and you'll be on the highway in no time.

If this is clear as mud, please tell me and I'll try to re-explain it.

Spleen

PS: interstate highways are built with federal money ... versus freeways which are built with state money. This is why we have "interstates" in Hawaii. :)

Thank you so, so much, Spleen! I get so tired of driving around Honolulu neighborhoods trying to find on-ramps! Kapiolani Street it is!

FYI, this is the most valuable bit of information I've ever gotten from a message board! Thanks again!

Hey, you guys are making me so homesick. Another way you could get out of Waikiki is go north up Kapahulu Ave. (away from the ocean). You would go past Leonard's Bakery(stopping for malasadas if necessary!) until you get to Wai'alai Ave. This has you going under H-1, but don't panic. You then turn right on Wai'alai Ave. and go for about 2 miles. At the end of Wai'alai Ave. it will split, with the left lane merging onto H-1, and the right lane taking you down to Kahala Mall. This is a great place to shop and you can check out the new statue of Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-0 fame. Kahala Mall was one of his favorite places to walk around. If you decide to shop, then you just come out of the parking lot and go east, and you'll end up back on H-1. Course at this point it ceases to be an interstate, and just a divided road. After Hawaii Kai, it becomes a two lane road, but it's a beautiful drive.

Have fun. If you have time, continue up the coast until you come to Sea Life Park, and check out Makapu'u Point Lighthouse. This is one of my favorite places!

Don't be afraid to drive downtown, or anywhere you want. It is an island after all, you won't ever be more than an hour or so from your hotel! People are very friendly, and I'm sure you'll get around just fine!

Debbie

You all are gonna laugh at me, but I am going to tell you anyways. My friend and I wanted to go a beach on the windward side of the island. So, I picked her up at her house in Mililani and we head to the other side of the island. Well, needless to say we drove around for over an hour and had to make 2 phone calls before we could find a beach! How sad are we??????:D That is why in my earlier post I said I hate driving in Hawaii! LOL!!

Mandy

WOW...thats tough!

Personally, after growing up in Boston and driving in Tokyo, Hawaii traffic is nothing. Its the silliness of the engineers in their interstate design and the lack of maintenance that makes me shake my head as I drive around.

Example: to get from my house into Honolulu via H1, I have to change lanes 7 times JUST to avoid being dumped off the highway by the exit ramps....the right lane seems to keep disappearing here. Now if you have 1000 + cars all trying to change lanes to avoid that, you can see why traffic is silly here. Poor design.

Yeah, the first 2 weeks I lived there I refused to go farther than 3 blocks from our apartment on Kapiolani Blvd. I even walked to many places. Finally my DH forced me to drive to our church, which was in Pearl City. After that, I realized that I would just have to get over it..... So I drove around for a couple days, then consulted a map. I probably memorized it, but after driving around it seemed a little easier. I still, however, tried to stay off H-1 from 4:00 to 6:00. I sat too many times in that traffic!!!!

Now I would give anything to be back in Honolulu! Kansas is hot, and the traffic isn't any better, you can just go further!!!

Debbie

• 5 weeks later...

Mandy, I am not laughing. I totally sympathize! When I first moved here I would get so lost. Fortunately I was staying at Tripler (the huge pink military hospital for anyone who is wondering.) You can see it for miles. I would just drive around till I could see the ocean, then stay as close to the ocean as I could until I could see the hospital. Since I was on an island, I would eventually loop back around and pass it!

Archived