What is there to do in Bermuda?

Amy from Delaware

Does the lack of any reply mean there's absolutely NOTHING to do in Bermuda for someone who is in a power wheelchair? :( Or did my original message just get buried?

Three Rings (I first read that as Three Kings!),

I suspect the answer is Neither of the Above.

Rather, that right now is a busy time for many people and they may not be reading the boards much or have as much time to write answers. I know that on average (average being anytime other than when I'm actually in the planning stages of a cruise where I'm acting as personal attendant to someone) I only check CC a few times a week, and only check this particular section about once a month....there are a lot of helpful posts here but if I don't have a cruise in the works, I often have other priorities.

This being holiday time for many people, all the boards seem to be a bit thin this week, even ones related to other subjects entirely.

IIRC your cruise is April/08? Lots of time to find out all the possible options for powerchair users on Bermuda. I wish I had something specific for you, but none of my 'assistees' do the Caribbean, so I haven't had the opportunity to go there myself yet! I'm sure someone will be along before too long with some helpful ideas for you...the posters on this board are great!

Happy New Year,

LemonZest

My friend, who is in a power chair, was on our 7 day cruise to Bermuda and we docked in Kings Warf. We got off and took the ferry taxi over to Hamilton where we spent the afternoon brousing in shop windows. It was difficult to find a place to eat but we did find a place that did not have steps and we had to go up on the back street....we had a nice lunch, shopped somemore and came back to the ship.....part of our party also spent time in Kings Warf and said that it would have been very easy for our friend to get around if he had chosen to go that route.

Katya4,

Thank you for the info.

Was the ferry taxi easily accessible? Can someone stay in their wheelchair and get on and off the ferry?

Do you remember the name or location of the restaurant, by any chance?

Thanks!

Three Rings

The ferries, not taxis, go around the island with major stops at 20 minutes apart, or so, high season, and up to an hour low season. If you Google Bermuda you should find a place to write and get the schedules. As for access, most are easy to roll on and roll off. If ones comes around that is older and you can't get on just wait for the next one. I never had to wait more than one ferry. Finding accessible stops is another thing. Hamilton and Kings Wharf-no probleem. Not sure if St Georges still has steps.

Kings Wharf is very accessible and the restaurant is the Onion Pub or something like that. Hamilton has only one curb cut that I remember. I was there in 2002 and 2004. After the hurricane damage in 2003 I noticed more hotels and such adding accessible rooms and some areas looked like you might see more curb cuts. If at all possible I'd take a manaul chair due to the 2 or 3 steps into stores and restaurants in most places. I know many must use a powerchair but a sturdy custom manual will work better on the street.

I agree with NothernLite that Kings Wharf is very accessible. There you will find not only the pub/restaurant, but shops and old buildings that are worth seeing. I believe there was also some sort of a show given there a couple of times a day, but we didn't get to it and I frankly can't remember what it was about.

Archived