Neets Bay Bear watch vs. Traitors Cove

zhenya

We'll be on Norwegian Sun starting July 25th. We'll be in Ketchikan on July 27th. I am trying to choose between Neets Bay Bear Watch and Traitors Cove. Which one do you recomend? Which one has a better chance of bear viewing?

Another consideration is to go to Anan Creek. Is it better done from Ketchkan or Wrangell? NCL doesn't offer that trip, who would you recomend as an independent?

Thanks Budget Queen. Which independent whould you go with? And would you go from Ketchikan or Wranglell? From what I see there is not much to do in Wrangell and Anan is closer to it, but I can't find anyone doing tours from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Budget Queen,

Thanks for all your information. I'd like to ask a question about bear watching. We'll be in Anchorage and Denali before heading to the ship and will most like do the Natural History tour.

We'll be sailing on 9/10/04 from Seward on the Vision. Is any port better for bears than another?

The tours you were talking about in Ketichikan. Which one would you suggest?

Thanks to you and to any who can offer some advise. I've only done bear watching in Denali, and have seen some each time I've been there. This time, my son and grandchildren (7&9) will be with me.

I love Alaska and so look forward to seeing Icy Strait for the first time !!

Thank you.....

You may be off peak sailing 9-10 for bears out of Ketchikan. I sailed the first week of Sept last year and probably 1/3 the bear trips had no bears. So I would verify what the sightings are for when you are going and keep track of trends. It's a fine line because you only have one day and these trips sell out. As you already know- the Natural History tour in my opinion isn't even worth taking. With the kids you may want to consider just going on the park shuttle-free and doing a ranger acitivity. Very likely no wildlife. the kids would probably also enjoy the sled dog demo- they allow contact with the dogs at their houses too.

You may be off peak sailing 9-10 for bears out of Ketchikan. I sailed the first week of Sept last year and probably 1/3 the bear trips had no bears. So I would verify what the sightings are for when you are going and keep track of trends. It's a fine line because you only have one day and these trips sell out. As you already know- the Natural History tour in my opinion isn't even worth taking. With the kids you may want to consider just going on the park shuttle-free and doing a ranger acitivity. Very likely no wildlife. the kids would probably also enjoy the sled dog demo- they allow contact with the dogs at their houses too.

Thank you, BQ...

Been to Denali twice - Both times were at the end of May and we had sightings at Savage.

I was hoping that the kids would get to see bears in the wild rather than in the zoo.

Would have never picked this week, but we're meeting up with new friends the grandchildren met Thanksgiving week on the Millennium, (another 3 generation family sailing).

Maybe we'll have better luck with Icy Strait.. But I'll be sure to make note of what we do see and share any photos that we might get. Thanks again....

zhenya: wondering what you ended up doing and how it went?!

We're heading out Aug. 27 and plan on Traitors Cove on Aug. 29 as our best bet as the bear sightings are our highest priority. Anyone have thoughts on that? Thanks!

zhenya: wondering what you ended up doing and how it went?!

We're heading out Aug. 27 and plan on Traitors Cove on Aug. 29 as our best bet as the bear sightings are our highest priority. Anyone have thoughts on that? Thanks!

Zhenya:

You'll be heading home about the time we leave. We sail on September 10 from Seward.

If you get a chance, let me know how you make out and I'll do the same for others going late in the season.

I've seen bear on both trips to Denali, but hoping to see more...

Last year, we saw a black bear on the train from Anchorage to Seward too.

Gloriashelton

Where did you go on Katmai? Who did you go with? How was the viewing experience. We are scheduled with Hallo Bay out of Homer and just wondering what we can expect on an average or good day?

When are you going, John? Hallo Bay is an excellent company. I know the best times to go to Brooks Falls, where we went, is July and September.

We didn't go with anyone - booked it ourselves with http://www.katmailand.com and stayed for 2 nights, 3 days at Brooks Lodge. To say is was great viewing is an understatement! We were there July 27-29, just a few days past the peak for viewing. The most bears that we saw at any one time were 9 with two cubs. A few days prior I was told there were 20. And a wolf! But we were estatic that there were 11.

What an experience. Spectacular, awesome, and just the coolest thing we've ever done. The best part about it was actually experiencing for ourselves their world - with no barriers - and seeing how our two worlds can coexist. The park rangers do an absolutely amazing job there. They believe their biggest responsibility is to ensure that the bears' lives and daily habits are minimally impacted by humans. It was a beautiful thing to watch. Very respectful. I have some pictures that I can send if you're interested. I never thought I would walk through the woods unprotected with brown bears among us and survive to talk about it. But it happened just like that. You attend a "bear etiquette" class once you arrive at Brooks Lodge and after that, you're on your own (preferably with a group of folks though!).

By the way, Hallo Bay is a great company. I would have gone with them had we not already booked with Katmailand. But we wanted to stay on site at Brooks River so that when the daytrippers left at 5pm, then we would have the bears all to ourselves! After that time, there were only about 15 or so at the falls so that in itself was special. You could stay at the falls until 10pm.

I'm happy to answer any questions if I haven't included all the info you need.

Gloria

Gloria,

Wow, sounds great. I don't know where we go in relation to Brooks Falls? The actual location was not mentioned on their website. I am just sweating the weather and hope we get to go. We don't have too many ways to reschedule, maybe just the next morning if we had to. But then we would miss our day in Seward. I just hope we get a good day or my wife will kill me.

I don't remember exactly where they go but I would assume they know where the bears will be in August or September, whenever you are there. In July and September, they are prevalent at Brooks Falls and Brooks River. I know other times they are around the beaches digging for clams. Perhaps that is where Hallo Bay will take you. I am sure they will tell you if you have a question.

We will definitely go back!

I can't compare other bear sites but we just returned from the Coral Princess SB and I went on an floatplane excursion to Neets Bay. Neets Bay sits directly next to a salmon hatchery and we did see @ 5 bears. Several of them were catching salmon right out of the water. Wonderful excursion and the hatchery was also very interesting.

Paroe,

How long were you at the viewing spot at Neets Bay? Is the Hatchery itself in all the pictures? Was the water level low, based on your guides experience. I had heard from one of the venders that they needed rain and that some of these trips would be iffy if they did not get some soon?

JohnQ, The tourists stand or sit between the hatchery and the stream. The stream was low and the area did smell because the bears would leave their left overs all over the rocks. The rain normally washes the salmon remains away. No rain, lots of left overs. We were at the site for around 1 hour which seemed to be adequate. There is an approximate 7 minute walk, flat ground, to the site from the floatplane. Hope I've answered all your questions.

Paroe,

Thanks, that was what I needed. How far away would you estimate you are from where you sit to where the bears tend to feed? Trying to anticipate what might be needed in terms of camera lenses.

Paroe,

Thanks, that was what I needed. How far away would you estimate you are from where you sit to where the bears tend to feed? Trying to anticipate what might be needed in terms of camera lenses.[/quote

John Q,

I am not very good at judging distance but I think the bears were approximately 15 feet directly in front of you to 40 feet down in the stream. The stream is directly in front of you and there are no fences separating you from the bears. In fact, the tour guide told us that one of the bears got confused the previous day and began to get too close to the tourists. He had to yell and jump up and down so the bear would go in the other direction. The tourists are restricted to a certain area. The bears are not. In fact, when we were getting out of the float planes, there was a bear sitting on the beach area directly next to the float plane docks. It was very enjoyable.

Archived